Differances between a G60 and a VR6 Corrado...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkawim

Legacy Member
As u guyz know (if u read my post...and if u didnet plz do) im pretty much corrado Crazy...

Now i gotta buy myself one of these baby's and i have alot of experianced ppl around me giving differant opinions....

Help me out ok??

Some ppl tell me the G60 is better because its supercharged and is easier to modify and other ppl tell me the VR6 is better for the added power and has less problems about it...

Tell me wut u think ok?

Thx,
Karim

g60 is a hole! The block isn't bad..but the charger seems to give people tons of problems! THe VR6 is the king of Corrado's!
But swaping a G60 supercharger for a turbo is a recipe for success!

i'm totally sold on G60's. yes, the stock chargers do suck, but that's only after 80,000+ kms. so, ya gotta rebuilt it?! time for an upgrade. there are so many upgrades, it's nuts. you can get mercedes SLK compressor conversions for the G60, the indestrucatble Lyshom charger (capable of +22 psi and 12,000 RPM's safely!!). there's also the GT upgrade (G 83) charger. also pulleys, FPR's, chips, cams, etc...

plus, bonus. lighter front end with the G60. i've driven both and i prefer the lighter G60 than the VR.

i dunno, i don't cream over turbo cars. supercharger raw power is retarded. out of the hole, it'll be a monster. you don't have as much tunability as a turbo, but that all depends on the charger you get. screw type chargers are they way to go, such as the lyshom. yes, the stock g60 charger is a ticking time bomb, but the upgrades are really made to last. you just gotta make sure you're getting it from a reputable place.

this man is king...
www.bahnbrenner.com/

if you wanna get wacky, you could charge a VR6, but i think the z-engineering charger is like $7000+, no?

the horsepower to dollar ratio for the VR6 it pretty low, as it is for most N/A cars. i mean after you cam it, port it, and schrick intake it, what else is there left to do to it? turbo or a charger, no?

i would go G60, but that's just me. whatever you pick, it'll be
bomb. you can't go wrong either way.

good luck dood!!

paully

Yeah...my freind at work also told me that a G60 with a turbo is a killer car... but im still not sure...G60's are really old... how do i find one that doesent have too many miles on it???

Btw the guy i work with (all the technicians at IBM where michanics b4 and its amazing to work with them) has a 1990 Eagle Talon and he did a couple of mods....

It has 400HP...17pound turbo!!!....damn car....he gives me rides sometimes and we've killed pretty much every and any car....

VERY FAST!!!

Anywais as for my Corrado's...how big a turbo do u think i can fit on it???...and also u guyz told me alot about the advantages...but there must be disadvantages to the older car....right??

Thx for everything,
Karim

Most people fit T3 turbo on their Corrado due to clearance problem. T3 super 60 trim is probably the best you can have. If you don't mind giving your firewall a good hammer job to make some place an hybrid T3/T4 or even bigger can be great too. It all depends of what kind of boost you wanna get.

And?????..........

And exactly wut kinda boost (in Hp) would i be getting from the T3 super 60 Trim???

Then again your right...i could alwais take out a hammer and let loose!!!

Ahh...the best way to get the pressure off!!!

anywais Thx,
Karim

Re: And?????..........

Quote from the Turbonetics website: "With airflow ratings from 150 HP to 325 HP the PERFORMANCE T3-SERIES is ideal for small displacement engines."
The G60 block can take up 20psi of boost without any fuss so it would be a good target.

wait wait wait!!!

WAIT JUST ONE SECOND!!!

Are you trying to tellme my Corrado could have over 300Hp...or is that in another situation???

20PSI???....wouldent that blow something....

My freind has a WRX 2001 and hes installing a 17PSI turbo...

He's afraid something gonna blow....how can a little corrado take 20???

Plz feel free to corect any stupid mistake i might have commited while trying to understand...

Thx,
Karim

Re: wait wait wait!!!

It all depends on your budget, and how much you're going to use the car... you have to see what your priorities are, ya know?

If you drive alot...the s/c won't last as long, and gas will be outrageous. but you go to and from work, race at the track once in a while, go F/I.

drive alot???...HA!!!

ummm...i cant even imagine how much ill be in that car when ill buy it...@#%$ il probably live in the car!!!

umm..wait a second...am i allowed to say @#%$ in here???

Anywais...i drive alot...the only car i have right now is my mom's 2.0L Jetta and i drive it like a bitch!!!!

Me and my freind are all car freaks and we race most of our week-ends...(probably one of the reasons why i lost my permit)

My freind has a 2001 Vr6 and we have alot of fun with it!!!

Anywais...thx for the help!!!

Are there any other mods i can do.....say for a LESS dramatic differance??

Say i want my corrado a 225Hp....
do i put in a turbo kit...or is there another way??

And also...can i actauly add a turbo to an already superchargd car???

Thx guyz,
Karim

Re: drive alot???...HA!!!

You should speak to Mk1GTIt
He is in the process of totally rebuilding a G60 engine and installing a turbo on it, in his garage

Get a smaller pulley for the G-Lader charger....instead of 9 LBS you can pump out an easy 190 hp just with that. Reliabilty is flushed down the drain though.

A good and cheaper way to have near 225hp from a G60 is to have a stage 4 power kit from BBM. But as Dubguy said reliability is problematic. The secret with G ladder are to wait 'til the engine is fully warmed up before driving it hard and never never never go higher than 6000rpm with a 68mm pulley. Be sure that the strap inside the G60 has been changed. It has to be changed every 40 000km. G60 can be reliable but it needs more care than turbo and it has to be rebuild once in a while. Considering that turbo on a G60 engine is by far more reliable and will be more powerful.
G60 block can safely take up to 25psi of boost.

The key to owning a G charger is to not over rev it. Those little bastards love to grenade the moment they get pushed a little to hard! Even though the Gcharger is a very efficient blower I wouldnt bother repairing it when it blows. Obviously my first choice would be turbo:) but if I had to use a supercharger it would be a screw type. Either a Lysholm($$$$) or one from a SLK($$)

As for the 16v head on a G60 block, thats easier said than done. Youll still have to change the pistons in the G60 block to accomodate the 4 valves per cylinder in the 16v head. I wanted to do this becasue I had access to a lot of turbo components for a 16v. Yer better off turboing the G60. Everything in that engine was designed for boost applications. From the low compression pistons to the sodium filled valves.

OK OK but still 2 questions!!!

Can u really add a turbo to an already supercharged engine? and wut kinda parts would i have to chnage...

Take out some???
Add some???
Change some???

And second question....about how much would the turbo cost???
A good one....u know like the T3...wuts the retail on one of those?

Ohh and guyz...reliability is VERY important to me...
Im a very agressive driver and id probably blow anything that isent really safe and solid....

as alwais thx,
Karim

You replace the Supercharger with the turbo. Not both! You can buy a Turbo kit for the G60 for less than 4000$..

Ask mk1gtit...he knows all about this stuff!

Aight thx alot... i knew a supercharger AND a turbo dident amke sense!!!

Im talking with Mk1 and he's alot of help...

Thx guyz,
Karim

well, since the G60 engine is tougher than nails, you
don't really gotta worry about the engine self-destructing;
only the charger...
so the basically the money that you would spend on the turbo setup, you can get a sick charger. lyshom all the way.
safe up to 17,000 rpms! can handle 20psi easily, and have been proven to be reliable after 200,000 kms!!
now, that is GOLD!
the only thing is that is makes a ****LOAD of noise. bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
even at idle, it sounds like your car is broken.

too ill.
i gotta get me like 4 of them.
:)
oh, the cops are gonna love me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back