Alignment question (need french->english translation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashblade

Just got my 99 (a3) Jetta aligned (it was pulling to the right) at a Canadian Tire in Fleurimont.

When the technician was done he said their was a problem with the alignment, one of the measurements was way off spec. He said he didn't have the tools to adjust this there...

Unfortunately I can't quite figure out the printout so i'm not quite sure what bit of the alignment is off. I need an english translation of the french terms they gave me...

Here's a copy of the relevant part of the printout, the technician underlined the setting that is off:

alignment.jpg

I think the chasse is caster and carro. is camber...

Also, do the specs listed there look right?

Thanks for your help!

Your thought is right, Chasse is caster and Carrossage is camber.

As for what is off, I believe that both settings underligned need to be relatively identical. 2.08 or 1.60 sounds good to me (but I'm no expert) but not 2.08 on the left wheel, AND 1.60 on the right wheel.

Caster is what helps you get the wheels straight after a turn, since the setting of the right wheel is lower, it doesn't want to go straight as much as the left, and the car pulls to right.

Hope this helps

Pa

Yup! That's a great help, thanks! :D

From what i've been reading a higher caster (as in the VW spec) will keep the wheels going in a straight line when i'm on the highway and provides better cornering. Of course, if it's too high i'll end up with hard steering.

This confirms what i've felt driving the car, the car doesn't quite want to keep going in a straight line when i'm on the highway. It's not serious but definetly noticeable.

Unless someone can give me a reason otherwise, I think i'm going to get the Caster reset to the VW spec at 7 or 8.

Do you know anywhere besides the VW dealer that can adjust the caster? Somewhere in Sherbrooke would be best, but i'm in Montreal a fair bit too...

Thanks again :)

Any real alignment shop can adjust it. I don't know why the tech at CT said that he didn't have the tool to adjust that. Caster is corrected by moving the front subframe of the car. Unbolt 2-3 bolts move it a few millimeters and get things back to check the alignment.

My 0.02 correct me if I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back