Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankenstein VW

Legacy Member
My cpu keeps faulting out and the same code keeps on coming up.
EVAP canister
But I,ve had it checked out a couple of times and theres nothing wrong with the EVAP or the hoses.
I was told it was because my new cams were over-lapping.
but I've never heard this expression before and have no idea what it means.
I'm sure one of you guys does
please help

Thanks

I think its 'cause you didn't buy my Bronco!!

No seriously man...I don't know. You obviously plugged it in to a diagnostic machine right? It gave you the code for your EVAP....hmm...

Overlapping is caused by the new profile of your cam (actually there's always a little overlap). What it basically means is that the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time. This sounds bad, but in actuallity it's not. In a naturally aspirated engine it's good. What happens is that by having both open, from the negative pressure that forms from the exhaust your a/f mitxure from the intake gets sucked in just that much faster so you get more in than you normally would from a oem cam, giving you a more powerful explosion, which gives your more power. Of course you can have too much overlap where the two are open at the same time too long and your precious a/f mixture escapes to the exhaust port. It's a delicate game of balance. This is a simplified version of what actually happens and is simply meant to give you an idea of the process.

In a forced induction setup, you want as little overlap as you can get. The extra pressure from the turbo or sc actually pushed in the a/f mixture so quickly that if you've got too much overlap it'll get pushed out the exhaust valves, leaving you cheated of some explosion food.. That's why it's not recomended to get a regular racing cam for forced induction applications, unless it was grinded especially for a turbo/sc application.

Hope this helps.

Thanks DasoGTI
Great explication and very helpful.
You seem to really know what you are talking about, do think
this could be why I'm always faulting the same code EVAP any other ideas.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back