Need GM RWD 2.8 or 3.1 motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

XR5Topaz

Ok, I know that this isn't the right forum to post this in, but I'm pretty sure a lot of domestic guys don't go looking in the for sale sections. I'm buying a 1985 Camaro and the engine is pretty much dead. It knocks badly, but still runs and the car drives. Not too much smoke from the tailpipes, but I think the rear main seal is leaking because I see a lot of smoke from the drivers side, near the exhaust manifold.

So, I'm looking for a new motor. I'm turning 18 on Friday, and I don't have much cash to spend. if anybody is willing to let a decent condition 2.8 or 3.1 go for a nice price, I'll most probably pick it up. I'm also looking for a 305 if the price is right.

Thanks

sorry i can't help you whit what you are looking to buy but i just wanted to say that you should go for the 305 tuned port V8.I think you can get one in good condition whit the tranny at a very resonnable price.A couple of years ago i had a IROC whit that engine and i loved it...even if the body was all messed up.Anyway keep us inform of your project.
MARC r

go for the 305 tuned port V8.I think you can get one in good condition whit the tranny at a very resonnable price.

I agree! If you're swapping the engine you might as well step to the next level, and they are pretty cheap. I'll let you know if I see one.

If you change to a v8,you're gonna have to change ALOT of other things on the car as well,to make it accept the V8's power...
Might as well just start out with a v8 equiped car then..

Originally posted by iroc4ever
If you change to a v8,you're gonna have to change ALOT of other things on the car as well,to make it accept the V8's power...

Ya, that's a problem. If I were to go with a V8, I would like to go the cheapest and easiest route: carburation. Right now, I want to make the car look like the California IROC. It's a super rare IROC-Z sold in California during the 1985 model year, and only 500 were made. Just picture an IROC without a wing, graphics, or hood scoops. That's my plan.

I work at Modick, so that's where i'll be probably picking up my wheels, unless I can score some IROC wheels on the cheap.

Originally posted by se-r
Any idea how much carburated used 302s go for?

If you're talking Chevy, its going to cost alot and good luck finding one. If you're talking ford, maybe 200 buck in a boneyard. but this is for a Maro..so muchodinero.

you can find a pretty cheap 305 in a scrapyard, My dad is selling his 350 and tranny cuz hes going BBC,. Maybe he can sell it to you?

The guy where I work have a 84 trans am that he bought from his uncle ! I think the engine have like 40-50 000 km. And he want to swap for a 305 i think next year ! I will talk to him, he might want to do it sooner and sell his engine ! :dunno:

Originally posted by XR5Topaz

Ya, that's a problem. If I were to go with a V8, I would like to go the cheapest and easiest route: carburation. Right now, I want to make the car look like the California IROC. It's a super rare IROC-Z sold in California during the 1985 model year, and only 500 were made. Just picture an IROC without a wing, graphics, or hood scoops. That's my plan.

I work at Modick, so that's where i'll be probably picking up my wheels, unless I can score some IROC wheels on the cheap.
No graphics,wing,or hood??? Wouldn't it just look like a base model camaro then??:dunno:

oops. I should have explained it better. It has all the ground effects, but not the decals or emblems that make the car an IROC. I also forgot to say that I want to use the v6 wing.

15seccavvi: How much???
Watever: Do you think that he would sell it for a low price??
okidedrak: sorry bro, it won't work. Thanks for the offer though.

Xr5Topazon't have to change that much if you go with a carbed v8!! no pcm or huge wiring harness to deal with, their is some wiring but nothing to crazy!, if you work at Modick just ask Tony about my friend Steves black firebird wich was originally a 2.8 and now is a low 12sec machine all motor! and please DO NOT PUT A 305!!!!!! at least go 350.

Originally posted by Z28Chevy
Xr5Topazon't have to change that much if you go with a carbed v8!! no pcm or huge wiring harness to deal with, their is some wiring but nothing to crazy!, if you work at Modick just ask Tony about my friend Steves black firebird wich was originally a 2.8 and now is a low 12sec machine all motor! and please DO NOT PUT A 305!!!!!! at least go 350.
Knocking on the 305's Gary??? ;)

I'm a little afraid to drop in a V8, because the car doesn't have the best floor or unibody. It's in pretty good shape, just not the best. I'm more into having a really nice car than a fast one right now. So, I think I'll stick with a 2.8 or 3.1. BTW, anybody else see any for sale??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back