modified 2l or swap for 1.8t/vr6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blak Vento

Legacy Member
Hi guys! I own a 96 black jetta gl (2l 8v). Anyways, i'm thinking about modifying the 2l? Should I do it? How much will it cost for about 50hp+ gains? I'm also thinking about swapping for a new 1.8t? I love the blue vr6 jetta :p

It all depends on the size of your wallet
the cheapest thing would be to modify your original engine

I think that the 1.8T swap would be the most expensive but also the coolest

A new 1.8T will be alot of money,but a very cool swap.If you want a 50hp gain,maybe you should try the Neuspeed supercharger,it will give yo about the same power as a VR6,but will only take about 2 or 3 hours of your time o install.Also,with the supercharger you wont have the extra weight of the VR6 over the front wheel,wich is a plus.

I heard somewhere that swapping a 1.8t all costs included with be about 6000$CAN, so putting a neuspeed super charger for 5K$ would be just *@%^ stupid! If I decide t modify the 2l, what should I put? Cams, chip, headers, can gears? Anyways...

With a crossflow engine, I don't think headers really apply... Correct me if I'm wrong. But a good option to modifing your 2.0L is intake, exhaust, cam, cpu, and a good port polish, a polished intake manifold, polished throttle body, polished exhaust manifold, 3 degree vavle job. The vavle job and all that polishing should be done together at a good place where they've got a flow meter to test their polishing.

I've researched it quite a bit, as I'm in the same basket as you, stuck with a 2.0L 8v. Check back a bit in the posts, there's a thread where I asked the same question.

I would like to know who does 1.8T conversion for 6000$.And your asking for about a 50hp gain,thats what will give you the SC,in about 3 hours,how long will take the 1.8T conversion.And i think that a SC cost about 4000$.A seriously doubt that you can get a 50hp gain out of a 2L without FI,or if you get a 50hp gain all motor you better have a thick wallet and not be shy to open it.

The ns supercharger does not give that to you. It barely comes up to the 1.8T. It give out a whopping 130hp at the wheels (which is a little under 150hp at the crank). For the 5000 $ you need for the supercharger and the hp gains, it's really not worth it. Just put in about 2-3000$ in the engine to keep it all motor and you can easily acheive 140hp at the crank with simply intake, exhaust, chip and cam. Add polishing and you can get 150hp... for a couple thousand $$ less than a super charger. Of course it'll take a little more than 3 hours, but hey, I think trading a couple thou in my pocket is worth while.

That's why the Neuspeed supercharger is not worth it. If they lower the price to about 3000$ Can, change the pulley on it to achieve greater boost levels (8lbs would be decent). Right now it's dialed in at 5lbs. Then it would be worth while. Otherwise, in my opinion it's a waste of money.

My 2 cents.

"With a crossflow engine, I don't think headers really apply... Correct me if I'm wrong. But a good option to modifing your 2.0L is intake, exhaust, cam, cpu, and a good port polish, a polished intake manifold, polished throttle body, polished exhaust manifold, 3 degree vavle job. The vavle job and all that polishing should be done together at a good place where they've got a flow meter to test their polishing."

What Daso said..should get you into the 14's! Low 14's if you got slicks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back