Dodge Stealth TT reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.

L0G1K

Legacy Member
I know stealths are not renown for their reliability, but is it a car that will need a redicusly high level of maintenance or if I take good care of it I should be ok? I'm talking about the Twin Turbo model here.

When going to see one, what should I look on it?

My choices in cars are either a
- Stealth R/T TT
- Talon TSI AWD (95 and up)
- MR2 Turbo (91 and up)
- 80's 944 Porsche (even tough it's far from fast, I guess it must still be fun to drive)
- 95 Trans am (but I guess insurance would kill me)
- 88-93 Mustang (I don't like the look of the 94+)
- Integra GSR

Any inputs?

Thanks

If your on a tight budget, get something else, its big twin-turbo setup, need oil change very often and needs to be really taken care of, plus since all the power + AWD, you gotta go easy on it or you'll burn clutches very often(I learnt the hard way)...other than that the car is awsome, AWS, ECS, etc....car pulls like a bullet....but like I said if your a tight budget forget it cause if something brakes itll cost ya

when u go see one, check the boost gauge while driving it and see if it goes to full boost, also look if the engine isnt overheating.....other than that its pretty much your normal check up on a car

AWDsebTT said:
If your on a tight budget, get something else, its big twin-turbo setup, need oil change very often and needs to be really taken care of, plus since all the power + AWD, you gotta go easy on it or you'll burn clutches very often(I learnt the hard way)...other than that the car is awsome, AWS, ECS, etc....car pulls like a bullet....but like I said if your a tight budget forget it cause if something brakes itll cost ya

when u go see one, check the boost gauge while driving it and see if it goes to full boost, also look if the engine isnt overheating.....other than that its pretty much your normal check up on a car

Thanks for your reply.

I know it needs more care than a regular car and all, but what about the price of the parts? I mean if I need to change a clutch is it a 5000$ job or is it a job that will cost the average of a clutch job (less than 1000$)

And does things break more often than on other cars (like head gasket, trannies etc)

L0G1K said:
Thanks for your reply.

I know it needs more care than a regular car and all, but what about the price of the parts? I mean if I need to change a clutch is it a 5000$ job or is it a job that will cost the average of a clutch job (less than 1000$)

And does things break more often than on other cars (like head gasket, trannies etc)
excpect around 1500$ for install plus parts on a clutch

other than that the car is very reliable like any other cars when you take care of it

AWDsebTT said:
excpect around 1500$ for install plus parts on a clutch

other than that the car is very reliable like any other cars when you take care of it

Ok thanks I'll try to find one...

Why would you say the Porshe 944 isnt fast? You talking about the non-turbo model?

Btw, what do you guys think of the 1986-87 Porshe 944's turbo anyway?

AWDTurboJosh said:
Why would you say the Porshe 944 isnt fast? You talking about the non-turbo model?

Yah I'm talking about the non turbo 944, I have yet to find a turbo one.... :dunno:

AWDTurboJosh said:
( + )
- Mid-high 13s @ 102-105 mph with a chip and mbc. Pretty easy to bring in the 350-400 rwhp range with a great bang for the buck ratio.
- Not too heavy (~2800 pounds) with a great weight distribution (50-50% with the tranny on the rear wheels)
- Brembo 4 slots with 12" rotors to all four corners (stock)
- Bilstein adjustable suspension (stock)

( - )
- Pretty reliable, but when something breaks watch out!
- The 2.5L engine with a low compression ratio is a bitch to drive in trafic
- The car is 15+ yo

Concerning the NA 944, I wouldn't suggest it unless you buy a S2 with the 3.0L engine. They are also expensive to maintain, but without the boost and power factor. You should invest another 4000$ and buy a 944 Turbo.

Hey Fred !!

Talon all the way !! Non mais sérieusement... j'en suis à ma 2e et je regrette rien... assure-toi juste qu'elle soit en bon état mécanique et côté suspension... les parts de suspension sont assez cher mais maintenant que Mitsubishi est au Canada, c'est souvent le 2/3 du prix de chez Chrysler... Le 4g63t a bcp de potentiel comme tu dois savoir et je suis certain tu t'ennuierais pas à jouer dedans un peu ! Pour peu d'argent tu peux faire un stage 1 qui te monte à environ 275 HP et faire du mid-13s ce qui est pas mal !

Keep me posted !

Bonne chance !

MULE63 said:
Hey Fred !!

Talon all the way !! Non mais sérieusement... j'en suis à ma 2e et je regrette rien... assure-toi juste qu'elle soit en bon état mécanique et côté suspension... les parts de suspension sont assez cher mais maintenant que Mitsubishi est au Canada, c'est souvent le 2/3 du prix de chez Chrysler... Le 4g63t a bcp de potentiel comme tu dois savoir et je suis certain tu t'ennuierais pas à jouer dedans un peu ! Pour peu d'argent tu peux faire un stage 1 qui te monte à environ 275 HP et faire du mid-13s ce qui est pas mal !

Keep me posted !

Bonne chance !

si j'y vais pour une Talon, c'est sur qu'elle sera 95 et + parce que j'aimes beaucoup mieux ce modèle. Par contre, j'ai entendu dire que les 95 et plus étaient plus fragile (je me souvient meme pas si c pas toi qui m'avais dit ca ;) )

Je regarde aussi pour une MR2 Turbo je trouve ce modèle vraiment beau et je crois que ça a du potentiel ca aussi et que ça risque de garder sa valeur plus longtemps.

Conduire un rear engined car ca doit être pas pire :D

Sa depend kece tu veu.....Stealth = mid 13s STOCK, TRES facile a modifier(boost controller, exhaust, dp rajoute BCP de hp), son ECEURANT, Look MALADE et wide, Interieur vraiment nice(tout en cuir, siege bucket etc etc), AWD, AWS(meme que le super hicas des skylines), ECS(electronic controlled suspension) tu peu passer de mou a dure a laide d'un piton(TRES pratique au qc ak nos routes), Son de l'exhaust controllable ak un piton.....and the list goes on and on and on....:D

stealths are heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeavy and not all that fast in the 1/4 stock:

1/4mi 14.5@97.0MPH from road and track, May 1991.

It's 3800 pounds! I'd get something lighter, that's more than my pickup truck.

In Carnet de route 93 it's quoted at 13.9 on the 1/4 it's not that bad...

It's just the maintnance that scare me (and insurance)

The guy didnt know how to drive, in most tests there quoted high to mid 13s but I know a LOT of ppl who did mid-low 13s consistently bone stock on 1st gen wich has 20less hp than 2nd gen, yeah its hvy at 3600(not 3800 at all) but it handles awsome and pulls like a bullet

as for maintenance, well the best it to change oil every 5 000km, other than that just make sure you wait 1-2min before turning off the car when you stop. If something breaks yeah it costs a lot of course cause its rare but with mitsu here now its not that bad, insurance well u pay for how fast u go ;)

pour le look, la prestance, stealth rt/tt, my dream car! mais c'est vrai que les pièce sont un peu plus chère que le reste.... et parfois difficile à trouver (surtout à coût acceptablement chère) il faut apprendre à dealer quand tu shift, faut faire attention à la transmission $$$$$ et rare. La clutsh sans doute, comme seb dit (je m'en suis bien tiré jusqu'à date).
c'est toujours un atout si tu connais la mécanique ou qqn qui en fait, j'ai changé un turbo m'en suis tiré à 350$ au lieu de 2k chez dodge (pas de mitsu à ce moment là)

il te manque la celica gts 94-99 à ta liste (selon moi) bonne chance

Stealth is so............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back