engine swap...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daso

First of all, I'd like to say sorry that I wasn't there as I said I was going to be a napi today, somthing came up and I wasn't home till 4-5 this afternoon.

And now for the real message. I've got a mk4 GTI 2.0L and I'm looking for a little more power. So I've come to ask for a little bit of info. I've seen a few posts that mention Trac racing doing a vr6 3.0L conversion. I'd like to know a little bit more about this. You know, the regular stuff... what you have to change. Engine (obviously), diff, clutch, tranny, chip, those kind of things... How long does it take to source all the parts and to do the conversion. What kind of tuning do you need to do afterwards. And most importantly price... the almighty dollar!!

And don't tell me about turbo's or superchargers. I know all about the options that come on that side of the equation. The neuspeed sc is not worth the amount asked for it. if it was closer to 2-3000 then maybe, but otherwise, forget it. ATP has a stage one kit that I got a quote for 2447 $US plus add 795$US for a frount mounted intercooler. if any want to see the pdf they sent me to see what part they include in the kit, I'll try and post it up here somehow or I'll simply email it out to people. with that kit they say I'd be up to about 195hp at 7psi of boost. At the crank or wheels, I'm not sure they didn't specify. so if you convert that price to canadian with everything counted it comes out to around 4700 not installed. Plus with this you don't have any gauges, turbo timers, all the useful things to need to make sure it's running fine. So with these things added, it boost up the price as well, plus if you've got to get the kit installed there goes the price a little more, so a reliable turbo system can easily get into the 7-8000 dollar range... and that's not even a radical setup either.

Well, there I go off topic. and it's my original post. Oh well, once I get to talking about mecanics, that's what happens.

So any info on the 3.0L engine, or even the good old 2.8L would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Dom.

2.8l installed legally in your car will cost around 5-6000$
3.0l will be the 5-6000$ plus another 3-4000$ to change the pistons some polishing, ecu, etc.... 10 000$! But you will be one happy boy!

Trac racing has a 3.0 vr6, maybe you can go check it out!

You could even just go crazy on your 2.0! I had a 2.0 and just put a 272 cam, nospeed chip, 2 1/4 exhaust, k$n, aug tranny and i ran a 15.9 on the one run i did! I've raced vr6 golfs ( my car was a jetta) and won! (driver error?)

I know of people with turbo 2.0's in the low 13's!

I was also thinking of doing that as well, keeping my 2.0L and playing with it to get as much as possible while keeping it all motor. As of now, I've done my exhaust, and I'm working on a cold air intake for it as well, similare the the aem for the honda's. There's room for it to pass, just gotta grind away a bit of plastic to make a little bit of room, but it'll work. That's kindof another thing that's bothering me. If I swap to a vr6, I'll hardly have any room to fiddle with it when I'm done, it gets so compact in there.

If I were to keep it all motor for my 2.0, I'd basically do the same, pop in a cam, chip, combined with my cai and my exhaust, I'm guessing it would be fine, but then there's not much else to do with it. One question though, a port and polish, what extactly is it. I know the basics of it, but no one seems to be able to answer me precicely what it is. And everyone I've spoken to says it's the best. I can understand that the air will flow better, less turbulence therefore decreasing temperatures a little and so on and so forth... but what exactly is included in it, what parts get polished, what are the costs for a good job, do you need to give a different angle to the valves, and what kind of gains are to be gotten from one? And where can I get that done.

Vrsik, was your 2.0 an 8v as well, or was it the 16v? Cause I'm guessing getting into the 15's with the 8v is kinda hard... that's stock vr6 territory, no? And also what was that aug tranny you were talking about? Did you change you drive ratios? I'd still like to know, cause the 15's would be fine by me. And I'm also thinking that it would cost a lot less for a chip and cam than going with forced induction or a swap.

Right now I'm still researching my options, I'm still under warrenty for another year and a half, so I'm gonna wait and see, which is why I'm gathering all my info as to what I'm gonna do.

-Dom.

Dom,

It was a 2.ol 8v! I ran a 15.9 and that was with 17" rims.

Aug tranny is the mk2 gti tranny. It's got a shorter 1st 2nd and 3rd! Great accelaration! But at 120 kmh i reved at 4000 rpm!

If you get a cam get a big one (272, 275)! they idle rough but put out GREAT power! Also go with a custom Garret chip and i'm sure you will be mid 15's (not to mention the fact that your car is lighter!).

You're question about port polishing and all that i'm really not to sure what to do, but it is very good in power to $ ratio! for some info you should contact TK Motion at 514-920-0094. 2925 De miniac (right near RMR). they are known to be the best in montreal.

here's a pic of my old ride
4.jpg

Here's some specs of my GTI: 2.0L 8v ABA Engine, CIS Injection, 453 lift/276 duration Cam, Dual Valve Springs, Adjustable Cam Gear, P&P Head and Throttle Body, Balanced Crankshaft, MSD 6-AL Ignition, Eurosport Headers, Eurosport Cat-back Exhaust with Twin DTM 3.5" Tip, Clutchmaster Stage 3 Kevlar Clutch.
I can tell you that 276 cam make serious HP figure and surprinsingly the engine still torquey. Mash the throttle @ 3000rpm in 1st gear and I was smoking those 16" tires...not so bad. Though if you go that way I suggest you to have GIAC burning you a custom chip like vrsik told you instead of getting CIS injection. You'll get comparable performance and better fuel millage too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back