2L 8V Mk4 options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacovw4

Legacy Member
You see i have this dilema ?
To increase the power significantly i need or to sc or to go turbo. But From what i heard the turbo needs lots and lots of $$$ for it to perform NICELY and some experience in the field of tubos as for the neuspeed sc well its a bit expensive for the power output it gives. I mean for a $5000 unit that produces at the wheel 135hp well something is not right ??

So here i am trying to figure out how to make my car different from the others and knowing that a swap cost around 5-6k i could get aroud as much power as the other options BUT i want to make my car different and getting a vr6 engine or a 1.8t would just be a copy

I already ask rainnman about putting a s4 engine in my golf and he told me that it was possible. If so KNOWING that it would be practicly impossible to do this swap at a resonable price would getting the 2.8l v6 engine be more of a douable job and at what price !!

I would like to receive all your opinions, you might say that i am crazy but i need some direction THANKS

Swap a VR6 in and get a Z-Engineering SC :eek: That's a lot of $$. If you're really serious about power I would suggest you to go the turbo way. It will pay in the long run. Just start with a basic turbo kit around 6-8psi of boost. The 2l 8v seems born to be supercharged and you will be happy with that setup for a time. Since the power is addictive if you want more power and you have some more cash just get the whole job. Fully rebuild engine, lowered compression and increase the boost up to 15 or maybe 20psi
FIREdevil.gif
I know a guy who run 20psi on his 8v but it is a car used for Solo event so I guess that a bit less boost for a daily driver would be just fine.
My 0.02!!

I'd say turbo your 2.0l! You could squeeze some nice power out of that bad boy!

hmm..

It will depend on what exactly you are looking for. The Neuspeed SC gives a 40 Wheel ph increase and will be completely reliable. Yes there are other kits or options out thre but you have to consider reliability issues. If you swap anything in I would suggest a 1.8t. No offense to the VR6 guys but for the new generation the motor is dead! Things will probably change this year with the 24v six speed, but we'll have to wait and see I guess.

MAtt

Re: hmm..

Matt...what do you mean by dead? Do you mean options for tuning? Or powerwise?

I'm a VR-holic...and i'd say go 1.8t as well!

Dropping a 2.7L Twin Turbo V6 sounds good as hell...but for around 10 000$ Definately not worth it!

1.8t swap-5000$
turbo upgrade-around 2500$
Wastegate, BOV, Boost Controller, Turbo downpipe, etc...-2500$

You'll be around 300 HP and faster than the 2.7t w/ intake, exhaust, chip cause of the weight! And better gas mialage too!

Dead??? what do you mean?!?!?!? I think I'm gonna cry!! I respect your opinion, you just need to elaborate on what you meant by that, ok mon?

No offense to Neuspeed but their SC cost an arm and a leg. For 5000$ you get what...an increase of 50% on crank hp?? Sure the SC thing is kinda bolt it under the hood and forget it. Moreover it's guaranteed but for the same "investment" you could get a reliable turbocharged 8v pushing out 200+hp. I know where my money would go...where it's worth it. Personnal taste.

By dead i mean that for tuning purposes, it has been surpassed by the 1.8t. It is heavy and adversly affects handling because of it. As for power, you can spend less and get more power out of it. Don't get me wrong: the sound and feel of the vr is wonderful and you will surely miss out on those aspects with a 1.8t. For my money I would drop in a 1.8t with out hesitation. If I was going to stay with a 2.0 8v I would use the neuspeed sc. yes it cost $5000, but it bolts on in under 3 hours, performs WELL (it won't blow you away but its a lot better than stock) has a garantie, and will be completely reliable for god knows how long. Then, with the sc add a good CAT BACK exhaust a kick ass suspension, 18" wheels and the rest of the goodies. What you end up is a unique, fun to drive reliable and DISCREET car. Again, this is only what I would do, but everyone has different opinions and that's what makes tuning so interesting. You can buy the same car as a thousand other people and make it your own with nice, quality parts.

Matt

The Neuspeed SC is garbage! They did a comparison between a stock 1.8t and a SC'ed 2.0 and the 1.8t was still faster! I agree with the fact that there is a warranty on the charger but it does void the warranty on your car anyways...and that's what really matters..no? Go turbo! No doubt!

check out forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=34594

and (this one has all the info you could EVER need!! forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=34753

and this site is the main site for turbo'ed 2.0L 8v's: [url]www.8vturbo.com[/url]

I dunno, if I had the choice between the 2L and the 1.8T, I'd go with the turbo. There's just something about spending 5000$ on a S/C and ONLY being able to keep up with a VR... bang for buck, but necesarilly reliability, I'd swap a 1.8T..

Personally i would have bought a 1.8t from the dealer. I realie this is not always possible because of costs up front, but that would have been the way to do it. The only problem I have with swaps is finding the motor. Many of the motors that you find are stolen. I have seen too many people get screwed with stolen motors have them seized and what not. Also, as someone who has a a total of 3 cars stolen from my home driveway, I do not encourage theft. Yes, HP wise a 1.8t swap would probably be the way to go. As I stated before, you must amke up your mind as to what you want power wise and budget wise. To quote the old cliche "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

Matt

Think about it like this...
If you swap engines, you will get 0$ for your 2.0L! So if that's what you plan to do...buy a turbo kit...run at 20 psi till you blow your 2.0l...then sell the turbo kit (very easy to do)...then SWAPPY SWAPPY.

Just for fun!!

Check www.vwturbo.com

This site will answer all yer questions about where to get turbo parts and how much they cost. Hopefully someone from RMR will see this post and start distributing this company's turbo systems.

Great Guys that was very educative !! I like vrsik's idea your absolutely right when you say that if i swap i get 0$ back. Ill chek out the sites you guys posted to inform myself more but for right now i think turbo has a bit more weight on the balance. Another quetion: since i dont have the mechanical ability's for installation and preparation and all the glitches ill have from the turbo ... where should i go ( what garage )
Matt i know that rmr has the supercharger and i still might end up of purchasing it but do you think you can get turbos for 8v
Thank again everyone!!!
Jack

As of now, we do not carry any product lines that offer turbos for the 8v. There have been a couple of leads on them though, and we are certainly open to carrying QUALITY, HEADACHE free products. we will not sell brick-a-brack systaems that are more trouble than they are worth though.

Can we modify the boost lvl on the neuspeed supercharger ??
Its set to give you 5 psi right ? but i heard they( neuspeed ) were trying to come with an intercooler witch i dont think is very necessary until your boost hits the 7psi ?? so whats up BOB ??
K Matt lets say i go with neuspeed s/c whats the best deal you can offer me. Cause it is very expensive and i understand that its a "QUALITY, HEADACHE free products" but i am a loyal customer to rmr everything i got 4 my car is from you guys....(hihihi) ;) :rolleyes:
( just bugging you )
But i would like to have a full price with install if possible to make a choice by summer .
Thanks

price...

I am writing this from home, but my recollection is that it sells for $5750 tax included, installed, the whole kit and kaboodle. I have heard talk about Neuspeed coming out with a smaller pulley to increase boost, and as far as I know, they are testing different sizes on the 2l 8v to see which one will give more hp with out blowing the thing up.

Matt

Re: price...

Sorry for missing most of the discussion......:)

a swap is a great idea......the VR6 in 3.0l version will run around...4500$ + and give around 240hp (with chip and cams)and tons of torque..it weights less than 60 pounds more than a 1.8T assembly

a 1.8T is a great package....price differ depending on the market and avaibility.:)

a turbo upgrade from ATP will run around 5000 install

a S/C from Z-eng will be around 4500 but will give you about the same power as a 2.8l VR6 (171/177) install is fast and cheap$$

my personal favorite for sound and pure raw torque is the 3.0l.:)

Re: price...

A turbo system from ATP will not cost you 5000. I know because I just bought mine from www.speedstyle.com in Ottawa. They distribute ATP systems, something the major tuning stores in Montreal should think about. I just purchased exhaust manifold,downpipe,tapped oil pan and the oil feed/return lines. total cost $1170.00CAD txs incl. shipped. I have about 1000 more in parts to buy for the turbo system to be complete.(a turbocharger with waste gate and intercooler/plumbing) As far as installation goes, any qualified mechanic should be able to fit it for less than 1000 dollars. you could actually install it yourself, people on VW vortex do it all the time with no problems. Id say that with installation and few other extras yer looking at a price of around $3500-4000.00CAD.

I seriously think that all your guys at Trac/RMR should look into selling these parts. We VW owners need access to more power adding parts. Straight engine swaps are cool and all but some of us like our orginal engines and just wanna give it a little more "sauce"! Id like to hear lowlife/rainnman's oponion on these systems and the posibility of their stores actually selling them.

I remember last time i was at Trac 3 guys walked in and they were holding a box. They brought it behind the counter and one of the guys pulled out a Z-E Supercharger! I was like...Damn!!!

Anyways!! That's it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back