Does reducing timing by 2 degrees on fuel injection work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Call Me SIR

Legacy Member
I was hoping to reduce my timing on my car in order to allow more gas in but I heard the computer will just try to compensate possibly causing stalls in hot weather. So does it work or not? expirences,comments,advice appreciated.thanx

Hey don't confuse timing with fuel injection 2 different things...timing is when your fire in the cylinder will be made. Indeed, on OBD-2 engines, the ecu probably controls the timing. It will adapt it regarding all the others sensors values such as TPS, W/T, K/S, MAP, MAS etc... The fuel injection has a short block learn and a long block learn, whtch is short and long term adaption...you can't cheat it unless you use a AFR controller otherwise you will always be compensated by the ecu. With distributor cars turn the distributon...be careful with that..It can pull a bit more, but you'll see the results by yourself...

Trac Racing Depot
www.tracracing.com
www.tracrapingparts.com
450-472-0676
ext 307 Max

you have to be more clear.if you talk about the ignition timming your better to advance it for better performance at hi rev. if you are talking about the cam timming you have to put some kind of adjustable cam gaer to move the timming and you are better to go at the dynno to now exactly what appen and how many hp you gain.whit your car in the better case you will get 3 hp.for the price its not the best way.

Timing has nothing to do with how much gas goes into your engine. You need the right setting for the setup you have and the application you will make of it.

like kineso said OBD-2 engines have their timing adjusted by the ECU to reduce the pollution produced by your engine. it will play with the ignition timming only if your car has coils packs instead of a classic distributor. if you have a car made before 1996, then it is not on OBD-II, but on OBD-I, (OBD = On Board Diagnostic), which means that the ECU does'nt care about how much polution you're making, it is only focusing on how well is your engine performing, so it won't cost you that much to replace parts(compared to OBD-II) of the engine management system. but if you are seeking for only a few more horsepower, just install a few good performance parts, it'll do the trick. But if you are truly seeking more performance, then looking for a programmable or more performant ECU is well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back