Does anybody know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankenstein VW

Legacy Member
Can anyone out there on this great site help me. I have silver 4 door VR6 that's pretty well moded, cams,chip,valve springs,short shift, hot wires,exhaust etc.

But I haven't been very happy with the performance and I was told by a very reputable mechanic, that to change the entire performance of the car I would have to change my VR6 tranny-diff to a corrado G-60 tranny-diff because it will be a much better ratio for the way my car is set up.

Does anybody out there know maybe Rainman or JAP ,lots of people have told me it would be useless and wouldn't change anything and some people have told me it would be great, I just want to be informed

Thanks

The best and easiest way to change your gear ratio is to change your final drive with a 3.94 or 4.24 from a diesel.
By changing your final drive, your gears will be shorter and your vr6 will accelerate faster.But you will rev higher in 5th gear @ 100km/h. Lost of vr6'ers that have done the 3.944 rind and pinion upgrade are fairlly happy with the ratio it gives to the trany...
I'm sure rainman can give you his opinion on the 3.944 upgrade since he's used it on his race golf in the past.I'm sure he will be here shorthly to help you out with his suggestions.

P.S. you can't fit a g60 trany or any other 4cyl. trany on a vr6. The bellhousing on 4cyl and 6cyl. tranys are different.Maybe they meant putting a corrado vr6 trany/final drive since a corrado vr6 final drive is something like 3.63?? and golf/jetta is 3.39???
What year is your motor? and from what car?

engine

My engine is a 98 VR6 from a GTI. That's really funny though because it was the mechanic that installed my cams and valve springs (who's supposed to be one of the best) that told me specifically that I needed the tranny from a G-60 not the corrado VR6.

Makes you wonder?

differential

Wait a minute, maybe he told me I need the differential from a G-60 but I thought the tranny and the diff were one whole, could I only change the differential to a G-60 and keep the tranny from the VR6? Does that make more sense?

thanks again

You could get the diff from a g60 but i dont know what gear ratio a g60 trany has. If you can find the trany # you can look up the gear ratio it has on this site on there 02a chartwww.kraftswerk.com/home.html
But swaping your 98 diff for a old g60 diff is not the best idea, maybe you could use just the ring and pinion from that trany if it has a better final drive than yours.
ring_pin.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back