all motor 2L 8V

Status
Not open for further replies.

CANADAM

Legacy Member
does anyone in mtl. have a well built(not race, but street) 2L 8v motor in a mkII? id love to see how fast it is. ive bein told that they can stick with a vr6 on a track. is it true that 150hp in a 2L is the same as 180 in a 6 because of the added weight of the vr? just wondering, i might have a new project.

What about the 6L vortech engine in a mid seventies Austin Mini, probably about the same as a 1.3l because of the weight right? Just kidding. Good question too, I have never tried them, so I ould tell you an accurate answer.

It's right that 2.0l 8v are quite fast in A2 body but not as fast as an A2 VR6. But if straight line performance isn't your thing then the 2.0l 8v is the way to go. Then again it's possible to build a streetable 2.0l 8v that will be faster than those VR6. Hint hint...neuspeed supercharger :)

If you want take a look at my previous car a A2 GTI 2.0 8v. There's a complete description of my mods. It's the last but one at the bottom of the page.
pocketrocket.on.ca/canadian.htm

Why not go with a 2L 16V instead?? port/polish/shaved head, cams, 3 angle valve job, forged pistons......bla bla bla....it will surely be faster then an 8V in the long run, no??

And if ya got some cash....throw in a lil boost!!! :cool:

ok, let me rephrase myself. on of my friends has a 2L in his car and is selling it(giving really)to another guy. he wants to see the potential of this motor before he stats to build it up, he isnt interested in a 3 angle muffler grind or a ported and polished oil filter, he just want a fun street engine to put lots of miles on. does anyone in the area have one with cam,shaved head,headers,p-flow,chip or something that resembles this that is willing to give a short ride to my friend?

Last year i had a purple 96 jetta 2.0L 8V. Mods were 272 cam, aug tranny, neuspeed chip, 2.25"exhaust with brullen 3" tip, k&n, neuspeed shortshift kit, thats it! On 17" rims with 2 12" subs in the trunk I ran a 15.9 with a g-tech. Funny...a lot of the mk2 vr's at Napierville were running the same time with MK2 vr6..i had mk3 Jetta 2.0L!

I recomend this engine to anyone that wants to start a cheap fun project.

go to www.vwvortex.com into the forums section, the into technical, then into 2.0 liter.

Generally a 2.0l with the addition of a intake (P-flow), exhaust, chip (Neuspeed) and a cam (Autotech, Neuspeed 260) will generate about 140hp at the motor making it very peppy and much more fun to drive. Add that combo to a lighter chasis like the A2 and it should be pretty quick and very reliable.

I'm all with Chris(RMR) on that one, we have seen some pretty crazy result with our recipy...its a little bit more aggressive but give a bit different result:mad: 272 Cat cams/GIAC/intake and exhaust....the result where simply astonishing( won't show numbers for fear of represal of war..:) ), they have all ran stronger than 2.0l 16V A2 even though they where in A3 chassis...so imagine in a A2...:)

no it won't withstand a VR6 in straight line power...from 0-60 pretty close...after that the the VR6 stretches its legs....as for cornering the 2.0l will KILL!!! the VR6..:)

Certainly a 272 will give a lot more HP than a 260. If the engine is an OBDII I would not suggest it, otherwise, get a short geared tranny and rev away!! The 2L 8v can be a lot of fun if it is done properly.

That's exactly what i had...short gears and a 272. I loved it soooooo much! But it's the fact that in the 2 years i had the car and beat the s#it out of it...it never broke!!! :)

My friend has a 2.0L 16V MK2. He's done a port/polish/saved head and some other engine work which I don't know and he beat me in a drag race. My start wasn't the greatest but his car is still very fast. I don't know his 1/4 mile time.

it depends also on the transmission you'll hook up on it. One of our mechanic as installed one in is winter car (Jet.II)with all the kit (p-flo, chip, cam, exhaust, suspension, etc, ) and it's one fun ride... But not quite as fun as is 3.0l VR6 MK2!!

I was just wondering something... Would it be that much more expensive to drop a whole 2.0l cross-flow (with wiring harness, head, intake, etc.) than to simply put the block in??
My block is getting old, and was considering just changing the 1.8 block to the 2.0l...Basically, would it be worth the extra $$$ ???
How much would a full 2.0l setup cost anyway??? and just the block???
BTW, I drive an 87 jetta 1.8 8v with CIS
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back