240 turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

H.O.T. CRX

what's a good deal for these cars, just the 240's i mean, no turbo. and is it easy to boost the KA engine? or are you better off just getting the sr20 and modifying that? and how hard is it to get an sr20 w/6speed? or do they all have em?

are there a lot of companies that supply engine parts for the KA? and what about the sr?

thanks

wow, thanks spicez :D

240z: :)

i would buy S15 right now if they sold them in canada. those cars are amazing. but we don't get them here :( instead we have to buy a car and then mix and match parts to come up with somthing that ressembles what they get.

i'm just curious as to how cost effective it is.

if you want 400-500hp, are you better off using the 2.0 engine or the 2.4 engine? the 2.4 would give you more torque but is the 2.0 more stable?

when you buy and sr20 it usually comes with a 5 speed transmission, i have yet to read about someone having a 6 speed on it...

the sr20's block can easily take 400 hp... its also better built than the ka to take the boost...

and yes there are a lot of comanies that supply engine parts for the sr20 and the ka.... some parts may not be as easy to find as other but most are out on the internet and are easy to find.

From what i am aware of, if you have the money turbo the KA, much better, more parts availble locally. if not then go with the SR, but remember when going with an SR you have a lot of problems that occur, because the engine has been sitting on a boat with salty air for about 2month on its way here. My friend in TO has an Sr and must of invested 3000$ extra to get it to work right. And that does not include upgrading engine components, except the Rad.

there as been 3 generation a SR20DET

one with 205 hp, 200tq
2nd 215 hp, 205hp
3th 250hp , 247 tq

only the 3th gen had the 6 speed tranny and it's very expansive!

1st gen is from 89-94
2nd from 95-98
3th from 99 up
I think...

but personnaly I think that turbocharging the KA is a better idea for reliability question (if something gets broken the material is'nt far away like japan!)

but the SR20DET as way more class than the KA, not event comparable! it is event better if u can afford the 3th or event the 2nd generation!

dont a 12-15 year old engine in a 97 car!

p.s. there aint no S15 in canada or in the U.S. we stopped at S14 95-98, nothing after

Just my 2 cents:

Personally I have to disagree I think there is more class in turboing a 2.4L KA, rather than cheaping out and putting in a 2L SR. At the moment I can think of a dozen people that have the SR20DET, and only 3 that have the KA-Turboed. The only reason SR are so popular other than the fact Fast and the Furious, is because it is an economical way to get 205hp.

the 6 speed will fit into the S13 and S14 sr20det's. BUT its hell to make all the parts with it. driveshaft,speed sensor,fork,clutch,flywheel. besides the 6 speed is a POS. the housings for the tranny are the same on all years so to add the 6th gear they just make the gears thinner and in the process weaker. synchros are always being blown on that car. just really not worth it. the redtop is far superior in every aspect imo. tunability,smoothness,curve almost everything except injector sizing and turbo size. but of course you can swap out the stock 370cc and T25 for the 480cc off a S15 engine and same for the turbo which will get you 280 wheel. (lets not forget supporting mods) not bad dont you think? and with the cash you have left over get some sticky tires to harness the power :D

now for the KA discussion. the engine is AWESOME when built up WELL. IRON BLOCK!!!! itll take soooo much beatings its crazy. get a second KA and work on it slowly building it up like a mad man. then when the time comes swap engine and add turbo and youve got a torue breathing monster. the KA imo is the way to go if you wanna be close to legal and not have to worry about blowing your engine.

BTW, just so you guys know.

About 90% of the SR20DET parts are interchangable with the SR20DE (Found in North America).

So replacement parts arent that big a deal.

That guy who spent 3000$ just to get it to work right, didint tell you the whole story. That 3000$ probably paid for a clutch upgrade, some tuning, an ECU and other things like that.

An SR20DET is not a CHEAP way to get power. A good swap job will be around 5000$ +

Yes they do get abused on the boats, best thing to do is a compression test, if thats good, just change almost all bearings and you'll be safe :)

ok, let's assume i am going to turbo the ka24. what do i need to replace? let's assume i want to get.. say 450hp, well, 400 at the wheel.s

rods/pistons obviously

is the crank ok for this power?

anything in the head i should change? how much would aftermarket cams be? this is a DOHC engine? or are some SOHC engines? what's the difference in engine code between the two?

what would i do about fuel management?

would you guys think that it's a better/wiser idea to scrap the 240 idea and just get a 300zx?

anyone know the weight of a 240?

thanks guys

well like any engine thats N/a and going turbo. you gotta change alot of parts. theres a long list but in the end its really worth it. slap a T66 on that mofo. sure youll have 1000 RPMS of power but youll make more than 400WHP :D but a t3/t4 does great work on that engine.

sohc engines found in 89-90 240sx: ka24E
dohc engines found in 91-98 240sx: ka24DE

KA engines series
24 = 2.4 liter
E= efi
D=dohc

for the fuel jwt has more than enough to keep your power needs happy.

for the weight what year/trim?

the coupe in 89 is the lightest 240 ever made. its also got a stiff body which is great for handling. the fastback is a bit heavier and less stiff but 180sx tails :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back