Cordless wrench for track day

Status
Not open for further replies.

MontrealM3

Legacy Member
Anyone have any suggestions on a good cordless impact tool to take on and off mags? Of course a good manual torque wrench is needed after just to be sure however...

thanks

Most good cordless impact guns sell for around $400, which is more money than I can afford. So I break the nuts with my torque wrench and use a 14.4 v cordless drill with a deep socket adapter. Total cost is below $50 (+ torque wrench). And because I have very long studs, it saves me a lot of time when swapping tires, and it is cheap and practical. This is what many budget-impaired track guys do.

I just ordered a Dewalt 14.4v, 1/2 drive kit

Comes with 2 batteries, a quick charger, and the carrying case; for 369.99 at Acklands Grainger.

It's available on order only, but it takes 24 hours to receive.

I do not see why you need anything that makes more torque then your lugs need.

Get a 12 volt cordless drill from sears and use a extension for a socket on it.

Unless your removing suspentions bolts i do not see why you need a impact gun for your mags.

I am getting the Milwaukee 18v cordless impact wrench. I also ordered a set of torque sticks to use with it. It makes too much torque to use without them for fastening.

T-spec said:
I do not see why you need anything that makes more torque then your lugs need.

Get a 12 volt cordless drill from sears and use a extension for a socket on it.

Unless your removing suspentions bolts i do not see why you need a impact gun for your mags.

Well, most 12mm wheel nuts are torqued at 80 or 85 ft.lb. I do not know of any cordless drill that can achieve such a torque. The high torque is only needed to break the nuts. For home, I have a 120 volt/250ft.lb impact gun.

Lee said:
Well, most 12mm wheel nuts are torqued at 80 or 85 ft.lb. I do not know of any cordless drill that can achieve such a torque. The high torque is only needed to break the nuts. For home, I have a 120 volt/250ft.lb impact gun.

Cordless drills don't have much tourque.
But quality cordless impact wrenches do.
Milwaukee Cordless impact wrench
240 lb/ft of torque.

I have looked around and found nice stuff is made by Dewalt, Milwaukee, Snapon, Makita and some others.
But don't expect to pay 150$ Canadian for a new cordless impact wrench that will do the job. More like 400.

Snapon has a very nice online store that serves Canada. The stuff is shipped from Ontario and you don't have to deal with customs. I bought a torque wrench there and I received it the next day.

The Milwaukee wrench I ordered through http://oemproamtools.com. Not as snazzy a website but they have lots of power tools. I will decide if I like them or not when I get my stuff. They are located in Ottawa so shipping is not a problem.

MstrBlstr said:
Cordless drills don't have much tourque.
But quality cordless impact wrenches do.
Milwaukee Cordless impact wrench
240 lb/ft of torque.

I have looked around and found nice stuff is made by Dewalt, Milwaukee, Snapon, Makita and some others.
But don't expect to pay 150$ Canadian for a new cordless impact wrench that will do the job. More like 400.

Snapon has a very nice online store that serves Canada. The stuff is shipped from Ontario and you don't have to deal with customs. I bought a torque wrench there and I received it the next day.

The Milwaukee wrench I ordered through http://oemproamtools.com. Not as snazzy a website but they have lots of power tools. I will decide if I like them or not when I get my stuff. They are located in Ottawa so shipping is not a problem.

I love this tool talk :D

Thanks for that site, I ordered some stuff

neonracer98 said:
I love this tool talk :D

Thanks for that site, I ordered some stuff

This is also called track talk. When you do lot of track in the summer, there are a few tools you really need to make your life easier such as an aluminum jack (I bought mine from Harbour freight:25lbs and $89usd)
91039.gif

or a canopy for when it rains or a high torque cordless impact gun. Then, next time we will talk about small trailers for your track wheels and tool chest...

Lee said:
This is also called track talk. When you do lot of track in the summer, there are a few tools you really need to make your life easier such as an aluminum jack (I bought mine from Harbour freight:25lbs and $89usd)
91039.gif

or a canopy for when it rains or a high torque cordless impact gun. Then, next time we will talk about small trailers for your track wheels and tool chest...

I guess that is a quick pump jack? 3 pumps and the car is up? I know mine is about that.

We will talk about trailers some other time. Trailers are one of the things that I do know what i am talking about *tu*

Actually i just bought an 18V drill from Canadian tire for $89 (came with 2 batteries), keyless 1/2" chuck and a 1 hour charger. Advertised claim is that it has 250lb/in of torque but it didn't break free the lugnuts on my car. I saw the drill start smoking when i started to force it.... i guess i'll have to buy an impact cordless drill..

Russianguy said:
Actually i just bought an 18V drill from Canadian tire for $89 (came with 2 batteries), keyless 1/2" chuck and a 1 hour charger. Advertised claim is that it has 250lb/in of torque but it didn't break free the lugnuts on my car. I saw the drill start smoking when i started to force it.... i guess i'll have to buy an impact cordless drill..
My dad has one of those.... didn't last long!
Go to WAL*MART.... they got 18v drill with all bits and pieces for like $189.99, I think the price when down. But it only comes with one battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back