car battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuTe68

i installed a sound system in my car and i've noticed at night my lights, accessories, etc.. all dim when i put it loud. i guy told me that it's bad for the battery, and maybe the alternater... my teacher tells me to hook another car battery in my truck in parallel with my other car battery and everything wil be fine.. my question is will the alternater charge the second battery, and is there anything that can go wrong with the second battery, for example too much current available for the starter etc..

thanx

all you have to do is to install a new hight output alternator or if you want to run the sound system with the car off, then you'll need at least 1 dry cell battery. do NOT buy liquid battery for the trunk, you'll regret it!!

so just 1 dry cell battery in the trunk, and 1 isolator. it isolates your batteries :)

it's really simple and no you won't destroy anything if you do it right... psst, the isolator is important as is the DRY CELL battery!!

take care.

yes it is,
a stinger 1700 amp cell battery is not far from 500$ :D but that's top of the line. you can get a good battery for... 200$.. ?!

isolator is ... 50-100$

but lets say i decide to not do all those things in the long run will i regret it???????

don't push your system and you won't but if you want to listen and push your system as I do "I like it when it pounds and my seat shakes" :) then you probably will because when your lights do that, it means your alternator can't provide enough jucie to all your equipments. you may end up with a dead alternator or who knows maybe even other electrical problems ...

an extra battery is only good if you'll be bumping loud when the car is off.

when your lights and stuff dim, its becaus the alternator cannot meet the demand in amperage. The only real solution is to get an alterntor that can do so.. You dont necessarily need a HO alternator, you can take one off another car and have it respun to put out some serious amperage.

Depending on how bad the dimming is, you might not *need* to do anything at all. If it dims a little, while the car is at idle and you're at full blast, then you some changes need to be made. Note that it may simply be that your alt is reaching the end of its life span, thus not producing the amps it should be.

If you get major dimming while you're on the highway, or to the point when accessories start acting freaky, then also some changes will be required.

Try giving us a better description of your problem, and we'll see frm there.;)

well nothing freaky, as u put it, happens. when i play my system(orion xtr 800 amp, and 2 pioneer impp 10') the loudest i can(at night) i can see my headlights dim a little, my accessories such as my radio, cluster, dome lights, all dim a litlle also. the cars brand new so it's not the alternator bing old thats the problem. i haven't had any problems yet but i'd like to avoid all possible problems that'll wreck my electronics

all right let me put it this way,

if you want to play the system when the car if off, then you NEED at least one other GOOD "dry cell" battery.

if you're going to play the system when the car is running, then just get a high output alternator.

I've done both in my case and I'm very happy and as you point it out, better be safe than sorry, specially with a new car.

it's up to you now.

hey

I had the same problem as you... I had a 300w rms amp class AB with a boston acoustics 12"... lights dimmed a bit at idle and full blast sound... I changed my amp to a 600w rms class D amp and my sub to a kicker L7... sounds crazy! lot loudest than before but no lights dimming... at least not noticeable as before...

so my advice is, if you can, change your system... I don't like the idea of playing with the electrical system of a new car... warranty issues

thats my opinion

RoadRunner

Originally posted by RoadRunner
hey

I had the same problem as you... I had a 300w rms amp class AB with a boston acoustics 12"... lights dimmed a bit at idle and full blast sound... I changed my amp to a 600w rms class D amp and my sub to a kicker L7... sounds crazy! lot loudest than before but no lights dimming... at least not noticeable as before...

so my advice is, if you can, change your system... I don't like the idea of playing with the electrical system of a new car... warranty issues

thats my opinion

RoadRunner
the reason for that was cause you were clipping the amp before. When this happens the amp is drawing it's maximum current, as well as creating a voltage drop after it clips. This is really bad for the amp and the sub. The amp has to fight for every bit of current and voltage it can, while the sub is suffering from a clipped signal.

Originally posted by patrickz24
all right let me put it this way,

if you want to play the system when the car if off, then you NEED at least one other GOOD "dry cell" battery.

if you're going to play the system when the car is running, then just get a high output alternator.

I've done both in my case and I'm very happy and as you point it out, better be safe than sorry, specially with a new car.

it's up to you now.
I've tried to avoid this thread, but everyone is telling you the right things! You'll need a dry cell (deep cycle) battery. But this will only minorly help. Since the battery is ONLY made to service the engine! While the caris running the alternator is supposed to be used to power ALL your accessories (including any aftermarket equip. such as radio, amp, TV, etc.). Your best bet is to either goto a scrap yard, pick up an alternator, and have it rewound. I don't suggest using your stock alternator for this, since it will void the warranty, and there is no gurantee on it's lifetime once this is done. However it will usually last awhile if done right. It is even possible to rewind most alternators yourself, they aren't very complicated, do a websearch and you'll find the info.

Or if you have some money, the BEST thing to do is to get a high output alternator. They are usually alot bigger then stock (make sure you have room), but will produce more current at lower rpms. Also when buying or rewinding an alternator, make sure it's done to maximize the current output, and NOT the voltage output. Maximum voltage output means NOTHING for you.

* edit *

Also for batteries, consider a 'Recombinant Gas Batteries', it can be trunk mounted, since RG batteries won't vent flammable hydrogen gas or corrosive gasses into the vehicle.
RG batteries also produce the most current possible for it's size. Whereas a deep cycle battery will not produce as much current however it has more reserve capacity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back