Smg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMW4Life

Legacy Member
Hey guys I was just wondering what you guys think about SMG?
I want to know if u guys have ever heard any good or bad commments about it......it shifts gears in 0.08 sec!!!!

here are some pics...
5025_832.jpg

1666_832.jpg

1665_832.jpg

Must be sick. You probably have to learn how to drive with it but after you got the hang of it it is gonna be nuts.

I kind of regret NOT getting SMGII

I still haven't drove it yet

However, 'getting' SMGII is 4900$ extra on the M3. I didn't want to spend any more money.

Rob

si un jour j'ai assez d'Argent pour m'Acheter un M3 (assez improbable) j'Vais m'Assurer d'Avoir une SMG2 (se qui va surement etre un SMG4 d'ici a s'que j'Aille l'argent)

SMG II is even smoother and quicker than the Magnetti Marelli system working in Ferrari cars. It's a serious piece of F-1 technology on the road.

Nevertheless, I'd get my M3 with a standard six-speed manual transmission, any day.

I always had the theory that the only reason car companies start offering these transmissions on their premium sports cars (F355, F360, Vanquish, M3...) is that they think a lot of the market is rich fruitcakes who're afraid of learning how to row some gears, and want to appeal to them by offering transmissions with automatic modes, like SMG and SMG II. It just seems like too much tech for me.

There was an article about this in Road And Track a few months ago. Very interesting insights.

Seems to be great.

SMG, in Bimmer speak, is an acronym for Sequential Manual Gearbox. It's a full manual transmission (clutch, no torque converter; regular ellipsoid gears, not planetary set), and instead of getting a clutch pedal and a shift knob, you get some paddles, a joystick and some electrohydraulic solenoids!

if a regular 6 speed M3 goes 0-100 in 5.2 does anyonw know what a SMG M3 does??? It must me a lot less because it shifts gears at 0.08sec right??

actually 6 speed is mid to high 4s for a 0-60

This is the deal:

SMG is a TICK slower than the 6 speed

BUT

SMG is more consistant and easier to achieve quicker times because the computer does all the guesswork.

So if you are an ACE driver, take 6 speed. If you are an average driver, take SMG.

If anyone has SMG, I would love to do a little testing versus my 6 speed.

Rob

Check the threads on roadfly, or any other M3 forums. They explain the differences and why SMG is technically slower (by a small fraction).

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back