fiberglass - where to buy from

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickz24

salut,
je suis alle chez rona pour acheter du fiberglass mais ils en ont pas. d'ou pourrai je en acheter?

merci.

well, I looked at Reno Depot, they didn't have it.

I would say look in the yellowpages under 'canoe' or 'boat repair', you should find some there. You'll need the resin, the hardener, and some mat. Although there are many materials you can use, but your goal is to go AT LEAST about 1/4" thick.

Look-up for Plasto !
You will find what your looking for im sure !
it's near Iberville and Ontario .. look it up in the yellow pages !

L8tr

you can't buy liquid fiberglass....
you have toi make it

you need to buy 2 or 3 different liquid ,mix them together,and then you get fiberglass.....

Originally posted by Accord
you can't buy liquid fiberglass....
you have toi make it

you need to buy 2 or 3 different liquid ,mix them together,and then you get fiberglass.....
isn't that basically what I said? You need the base resin, as well as the hardener!

fiber cloth + resin + catalist(not sure how to spell it)
mix resin and catalist apply on fiber cloth, let i dry. found at my local Canadian tire store in the car part section "boat repair kit"

"liquid" fiber + hardner mix both and apply to surface u need to fiber, let it dry. Found it at my local auto parts store in the body repair section.

hope this help

mpx

Originally posted by mpx_32
fiber cloth + resin + catalist(not sure how to spell it)
mix resin and catalist apply on fiber cloth, let i dry. found at my local Canadian tire store in the car part section "boat repair kit"

Depending on how hard you want it (and if you bought a kit or not), you don't necessarilly need to use their special cloth, do you? If you wanted you could use anything I thought, depending on the size of what your making, as long as the material is absorbant. Also, you'll want to soak the material straight through, but you DON't want to drown it in 'glass, since it will take too long to dry.

oh and the MOST important thing you need is a GOOD brand of latex gloves, you get this stuff on your hands, it aint coming off till the skin dies!

Altima, base on my personal experience here is how i do it (maybe not the best way but works good for me :D )

cut the botom part out of wood or use the existing kick panel
cut the top part out of wood
cut,rotor, sand the round for my speaker to fit in
use a metal braket to angle the top on the botom part
take an old strechable tshirt stretch it and wrap it around to "shape" the pods and tack it in the back

prepare mix of resin and catalist
using a paint brush apply the mix on the strecth tshirt
let dry till its hard.

now you got your pods "shape" you need to make them strong so no1 will brake them when they accidently kick them while entering your ride (every1 will kick them).

at this point you can use the fiber cloth, "liquid" fiber, bondo.... its up to you and then sand,sand,sand and sand then finish it up with carpet,leather, paint again up to you.

i think you posted a link a while ago about a custom door panel, in that link there was some nice pictures that showed u how to "shape" your pods :bigup:

as for the drying time, it all depends on your mix (the more catalist you put in the faster it will dry)

and yes a good pair of latex gloves is a must

mpx

will it be possible for me to see you guys at work in your garage? to see how you do it and what you do?

I just want to build my own stuff, I'm no competitor or anything and I do NOT plan on getting into this business. car audio is my hobby and I want to build my own kickpanels or maybe even more stuff later when I understand how to work with fiberglass.

thanks.

Personally I'm going to be making some custom door pods soon. Once I buy my next set of components that is. Money and I have some bad issues to resolve first though. Once I have it all, I'll be starting on those. Not looking forward to the measuring and angling, but once it's all setup... the 'glassing, the sanding and the painting are fun! Thats when you start to see what the final product will look like!

I voted against kick panels, cause I enjoy my foot space (I'm 6'3")!

Originally posted by mpx_32
Altima, base on my personal experience here is how i do it (maybe not the best way but works good for me :D )

There is no BEST way... actually there is, and you said it straight out in your comment... "but works good for me "

But it's true, depeding on where they are mounted, they will get kicked. But either way, the stronger you make it the better.

Originally posted by 99AltimaGXE

the one on Sources in the West Island doesnt!

haven't tried the others...

that one always sucked butts. try the one right before st-charles. much bigger and more choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back