Tires for track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Low_Civic

Legacy Member
i have 15" mags and the size is 205/50ZR/15 question is what would be a few of the best tires to do some lapping.

i had yokahoma A520's they stick very well. and this was for road use. i want to know what would be good for track use but i can then turn and use them on the road..

thanks.

Jason if you don't want to spend alot get a set of azenis. They are the best bang for the buck tire. If not you can always get a set of Z11s. Toyo T1S

Or if you really want to get nuts a set of Yokohama A032R , Khumo V700s or V70A's, Pilot Sport Plus and V710s... If you are really nuts.

It all depends on your budget.. Don't forget you need a helmet to

Last edited:
Toyo RA-1 are pretty good, it's what am getting for next year for the track even, but be aware they are NOT STREET LEGAL.

Right now i have Toyo Proxes T1-S which are just under the RA-1, the T1-S are the limit in the Toyo summer tires to be street legal.... really good tire on dry or wet i would have to say. Here my baby's:
Altivec_rubber02.jpg

Altivec_rubber03.jpg

The TOYO RA-1 is DOT approved and therefore is legal for the street. Especially that it has more tread than the Kuhmo 700 and 70A. Obviously, when they get used up and have minimale tread, you will have a hard time convincing the constabulary forces that it is okay to use them in the rain. If you are looking for a long lasting, sticking, predictable track tire, then the RA1 is the tire you have been looking for. The TOYO T1-S is an excellent street tire that shines in thunderstorms, which is why several racers will use it as a full rain tire. But as a track tire, it is not at par with the RA1. If you want even stickier, then you could go with the Kuhmo Victoracer V700. Its newer cousin, the V70A, is not as good. Hankook has the new Z211 which is supposedly a nice comprimes between the RA1 and the V700: long lasting, predictable and very sticky. But have not tested it yet. Then when you are a champion, you can go with Hoosiers, but they will last one set for two weekends.

If you are only starting lapping or driver school, then stick to your usual street tires. They are less sticky and might even get greasy when pushed hard as the rubber was not intended to reach the same temperatures, but at least you will learn more with slippery tires.

If you have the money, go for Toyo RA1, but if you want a better value, go for the Hankook Z211 or Kumho Victoracer. With the LAPS or TLC deal the Hankooks are the best value by far!

You should get yourself a seperate set of tires for the track. Toyo RA-1's are great, that's what I use on the track right now and I love them. But R-compounds wear quickly and before you know it they won't be great in the rain at all, which is why I wouldn't recommend them if your looking for a tire for Track AND street use. You'll have more fun with seperate tires and it won't cost you as much, sure you'll need 2 sets of wheels and tires but you'll get new tires less frequently.

If one set of tires/wheels is only what you can afford then go with high-performance street tires.
Toyo T1-S, Bridgestone S0-3, Hankook K104 would be very good street tires and decent on the track too.

The Yokohama A048 is their newest tire. Right now there is a special on it at Talon Tire. It is not the stickiest tire in the world but it is better than street.

I would advise a beginner to stay with street tires. Higher grip tires will hide your mistakes and you will not learn as well as with street tires on. Only get more grip when you feel like you have exhausted the capabilities of your current setup.

MstrBlstr said:
The Yokohama A048 is their newest tire. Right now there is a special on it at Talon Tire. It is not the stickiest tire in the world but it is better than street.

I would advise a beginner to stay with street tires. Higher grip tires will hide your mistakes and you will not learn as well as with street tires on. Only get more grip when you feel like you have exhausted the capabilities of your current setup.

Good Point.

As for the Azenis they are good tires for the price. I find them perfect for weekend racers.

Low_Civic said:
i have 15" mags and the size is 205/50ZR/15 question is what would be a few of the best tires to do some lapping.
Definitely stick with street tires at first. There's no need to move up to DOT-R tires until you consistenty exceed the limits of grip available with street tires.

Low_Civic said:
i had yokahoma A520's they stick very well. and this was for road use. i want to know what would be good for track use but i can then turn and use them on the road.
Any good street tire will do. If you need a new set anyway, the Azeni Sports are nice. They hold up reasonably well under hard use, they grip well for street tires, and do pretty well in the rain in narrow sizes (like 205/50). Plus, they're cheap as dirt: they run $65 USD (shipping included) at discounttiresdirect.com. Most local shops will sell them to you for something like $120 each.

Emre

We'd have to look at it first.

We would'nt install an unsafe pre-made cage in a car if we were'nt absolutely positive it is safe.

Drop by the shop, or call and we'll discuss it.

Falken Azenis all the way ! :)

Okay, j’ai pas essayer autre choses, mais les miens ne meurt simplement pas sur la piste ! Je dirais meme qu’un Azenis vas durer plus longtemps qu’un pneus de rue sport dans des conditions de piste.

Construction tres rigide, gomme durable (pour la piste) et grip assez hallucinant. Un peu trops de grips pour etre l’fun sur un AWD de 165hp meme… Difficile de maintenir la voiture en glisse, au gaz metton… ;-)

Flanc rigide ? Chargez la photo du lien (elle est trops grosse pour mettre ici !) Regardez le pneu avant gauche, pis regardez la petite croix apres le mirroir pour avoir une idee des forces en jeu… Epingle prise sans “casser” la voiture, juste avant de redresser le volant et de gazer a fond.

Le pneus reste a plat, on mange pas le flanc. (38 psi a froid) J'achete ! ;)
C'est du 205/55R16 sur des mags 16x7.5 (a vendre en passant !)

Grosse photo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back