planning on buying 240sx

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewRevolution

Legacy Member
hey guys Im planning on buying a 97-98 240sx and getting a sr20det swapped in. Couple of questions: Where whould be the best place to buy the engine? And what would be the best place to have the swap done? Oh yeah one more thing; if I do the swap and a cop sends me to inspection can the sr20 pass or is it concidered illegal?

And before you say check out npclub.com I already have, great site. As soon as I get my Silvia-to-be and my buddy buys his SE-R Spec V we'll be joining ya at the meets

Thanks

Engine Osaka
Shop Automotion
Legal, not sure
Emissions possible to pass
97-98 ? get a 1995, easier to find, and its an S14, same thing.

Ok since it's illegal what would the consequences of being sent to an inspection be? Being forced to remove the engine? If so that sucks ass as I'd much rather get the SR than build up the KA but if the SR is illegal then I don't think it's worth installing.

If you are talking about a mechanical inspection it's ok they don't look under the hood. But if it's a modified car inspection it's illegal!
Good luck finding one that is not automatic!

Legal???

It depend, most os the time people at the SAAQ don't care about the engine...so I would say that as long as it's nicely installed, I don't think they will say anything...

From what I am aware of it is, but then again almost anythign you do to your car be considered illegal. How much are you planning to spend on buying a 97-98?

Hopefully I'll find one for under 15 grand, I'm not in a rush to buy it so I can wait till I find one that's just right.

Ok so hypothetically let's say I just bought the car and did the swap. 2 months down the line some cop doesnt like the way my exhaust sounds and send me for an inspection. There they deem the engine illegal, what would the consequences be? Removal of the engine?

just wondering,
why is the SR illegal, if it is because of the anti-pollution systeme, can it be fixed?

if a V6 twin turbo can pass these test, why can somebody find a sollution for a 4cylinder with a single turbo?

Do you guys think I'd be better off turboing a ka24 ? Or would I ok with the sr20 ? People have done the swap in Quebec, someone with an sr20 must of been sent to inspection before?

Originally posted by NewRevolution
Do you guys think I'd be better off turboing a ka24 ? Or would I ok with the sr20 ? People have done the swap in Quebec, someone with an sr20 must of been sent to inspection before?

It's really a question of preferences.... both are good! They have their pros and cons...

one good thing about turboing the KA is alot of people take off the turbo when the go to get it inspected... the pass easy....

i dont know if this can be done with the sr....

maybe, concidering the sr20de was available in north america, although not in the 240 ...

Anyways if you guys do hear or read something on legality of having a JDM engine (one never sold in North America) either pm me or just post it in this thread, also as I said earlier I'm in no rush.

Thanks for the help, got to think it over for awhile...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back