Bike to start off with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crz

Hey guys, I want to get into the motorcycle scene. I don't want to start off with a bike thats too powerful... 21 yr old male + no experience + fast bike = death. I've been looking at the kawasaki ZR-7S, and I like it so far. Does anyone own one? Does anyone have a suggestion for a good bike to start off with?

Thx. :cool:

hey I' m in the exact same situation as you, except I'm 20..

I was basically looking at 600cc bikes.. Sport of course.

The one I fould the pretitest was Yamaha.. But becaus of reliability issues, when the time is right, I will go with a Honda.

good amateur sport bikes...

Suzuki GSX katana 600cc, GSX 750
Kawasaki ZX-6R ninja, ZX-7 (750cc)
Honda CBR 600, F3
Yamaha YZF 600cc

mine is a '92 kawasaki ZX-6R, not the lightest and most manuoverble bike, but very reponsive and excellent brakes !!
:bigup: it's powered by an inline four air/liquid cooled 4 into 2 dual exhaust

Like track3000 listed. Those are pretty good bikes to begin learning on. The best bike to learn on in my opinion are those little 500's. I know they're not the greatest or the fastest or the best looking out there. But they're great to learn on, not to expensive. Otherwise, I would go for a 600. The kawasaki and the honda are probably the nicest bikes for the beginners.

One thing for certain, before you go out and spend alot on a bike, spend some cash on protective equipment. Get a less expensive bike if you have to. A good helmet, leathers, gloves, boots, backprotector. And wear them everytime you go out! I know too many people that crashed without the equipment, and their injuries could have been easily avoided.

Proper training is also important. Take a class, ride with someone who knows how to ride, pratice in a big parking lot with cones, pratice emergency manuvers... all those can save you. Also get rid of the ego that says you can go fast. THe bike might be able to, but that doesn't mean you're ready for it. Strait line speed, anyone can do. If something happens, would you know what to do?

That's my advice.

Originally posted by DasoGTI
Like track3000 listed. Those are pretty good bikes to begin learning on. The best bike to learn on in my opinion are those little 500's. I know they're not the greatest or the fastest or the best looking out there. But they're great to learn on, not to expensive. Otherwise, I would go for a 600. The kawasaki and the honda are probably the nicest bikes for the beginners.

One thing for certain, before you go out and spend alot on a bike, spend some cash on protective equipment. Get a less expensive bike if you have to. A good helmet, leathers, gloves, boots, backprotector. And wear them everytime you go out! I know too many people that crashed without the equipment, and their injuries could have been easily avoided.

Proper training is also important. Take a class, ride with someone who knows how to ride, pratice in a big parking lot with cones, pratice emergency manuvers... all those can save you. Also get rid of the ego that says you can go fast. THe bike might be able to, but that doesn't mean you're ready for it. Strait line speed, anyone can do. If something happens, would you know what to do?

That's my advice.

Damn those are some wise words.. Will do..

my recomendation is the Yamaha R6 (YZF-600) , you can pick one up new / used... but the honda and Kawa make excellent bikes as well... id look at which one is lightest too

The R6 is definetly not a begginer bike. It's nervous, it brakes really hard, and it leans too easily. Someone not used to sport riding could too easily fall with it.

Here's what I've ridden, CBR600F3, R6, ZX-7R, TL-1000, ZX-6R, and a few motocrosses.

The R6 needs some getting used to to ride properly, and it's scary the first few times you take curves with it. Put it in the hands of someone who know how to ride though... That bike is hella fast.

I suggest to you go with a 600cc for your first bike. I have a 1999 CBR 600F4 and it's my first sport bike and it is pretty easy to lurn. It's my second summer with the bike.

It's hard for me but I am thinking to sell it because I dont have the time to ride. :( If someone is interrested, let we know...

couldn't have said it better..:bigup:

also the R6 is a little to steep for a first bike, It defines the word 'Crotch Rocket' i test rode one and i find they aren't so stable, well they are but not for city streets unless you are really experianced rider.. i luv the smooth tranny and butter soft clutch though

The R6 is definetly not a begginer bike. It's nervous, it brakes really hard, and it leans too easily. Someone not used to sport riding could too easily fall with it.

Here's what I've ridden, CBR600F3, R6, ZX-7R, TL-1000, ZX-6R, and a few motocrosses.

The R6 needs some getting used to to ride properly, and it's scary the first few times you take curves with it. Put it in the hands of someone who know how to ride though... That bike is hella fast.

Really? i never had any problems ridin my friends R6 "sporty wise" and im not too experienced.... but i have never ridden a Honda or Kawa superbike, so im not qualified to compare....

thanks for the feed back.... i should go test others !

i'm sure it wasn't easier to ride then your YSR
how fast did you go ?

riding the bike under at regular speeds is fine..it's going over 150 clicks that experiance becomes nessesary..especially in the turns

Originally posted by track3000
riding the bike under at regular speeds is fine..it's going over 150 clicks that experiance becomes nessesary..especially in the turns

YOU should not ride at that speed... trust me!:cool:

are u saying i suck ?! :p

i was talkin about kph, 150mph is just stupid unless you really know what your doing..and on a closed road or track..i seen videos where bikes go up to 235 MPH !! just imagine if that was on a Quebec road :eek: :eek: :(

I wouldn't even touch the 600cc super bikes, I KNOW they are too dangerous for me to start on. R6? YA RIGHT!! those bikes are insane. F4? NUH HUN!! My friend had one, too quick. (0-150km/h in just over 5sec) So far, the ZR-7S is the bike I think would be the best for me to start on. Its NOT a superbike. go check it ou here, http://www.kawasaki.com/motorcycle/nakedtraditional/zr7s/zr7s.html
From what I've read, the bike is easy to maneuvre, has an older 750cc engine model (MUCH less powerful than the new 600cc engines, but apparently lasts forever). Is there any other bike out there that rivals this one?? The 500cc models that dasogti talked about make sense to me.

I have a 1998 GSX-R 750 and it is my first bike. I have never ridin anything before this one and if you can't control yourself, it is insanely fast but that's the thing. You can't get on a bike and beat the hell out of it like you do with a car (I know from experience). You have to respect a bike or it will chew you up and spit you out in a sec so I basically think you can pretty much get any bike you want to start off with, the way you ride and use your head will judge if you get in trouble or not. I have two daughters so I stay cool on the bike, I only go crazy at the track.

That is very true, but I know myself. I will keep it cool almost all the time, but it only takes one time to really open it up, and BAM! its over... to start off I think it would be wise to get a less powerful bike.

Originally posted by GLX97
It's hard for me but I am thinking to sell it because I dont have the time to ride. :( If someone is interrested, let we know...

Check your PM

Originally posted by track3000
i'm sure it wasn't easier to ride then your YSR
how fast did you go ?

that is true...and i only been to about 100 with it.. i was not going to open it up, first it was not my bike and also, i wanted to be a little carefull..

I am not planning to go nuts on ANY bike. A little begginer mistake on a powerful bike and BAM! on your back. It takes experience to bring the bike back into control when something happens (you can't predict these things). The big bikes are much easier to loose control of them than the small ones. I would think it's a irresponsible thing to start off with a big bike. VERY irresponsible. I've heard of too many young and inexperienced drivers get killed cause they didn't know what they were doing on a motorcycle that was too powerful for them. I don't want to be a statistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back