therm definition

Status
Not open for further replies.
A non-stressed engine means it's not used as a structural member in the frame. I don't think many cars except single-seaters and a couple of exotics have stressed engines. The advantage is that you save on frame weight, like on a single-seater you could have suspension components directly bolted to the engine/tranny.

And a non-stressed body is just a skin laid over the frame, it doesn't carry loads like a unibody.

D3rELiC said:
what does 'non-stressed engine' means ?
as well as non-stressed body bounded to the chassis ?

It could also mean that the engine is not designed to produce high horsepower figures. Lets say that a 3.5 litre motor that produces 200HP would be a non-streesed engine but that a 1.8 liter lump would be a stressed engine that will not last as long and might be more fragile.

Usually in the motorcycle world, a stressed engine means that the motor is an integral part of the structure.

Supernaut said:
A non-stressed engine means it's not used as a structural member in the frame. I don't think many cars except single-seaters and a couple of exotics have stressed engines. The advantage is that you save on frame weight, like on a single-seater you could have suspension components directly bolted to the engine/tranny.

And a non-stressed body is just a skin laid over the frame, it doesn't carry loads like a unibody.

Really couldn't have said it better *tu*

Supernaut said:

I think the porsche 911 is the best example of a stressed engine. the engine/tranny is a structural part of the rear suspension if I'm not mistaken...

The F50, the Cerbera, a couple of old Lotus (Chapman was the first to be succesfull at this approach), the Carerra GT,the 959 and 917 only to name a few Porsches, old Detomaso, McLaren F1, theres more outhere then meets the eye from stressed to semi-stressed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back