2002-2003 Ford Explorer XLT & Sport Trac info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Vento

Looking into a Ford truck for the winter. 2002-2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac or 2002-2003 Explorer XLT. Does anybody know what the main problems on these trucks would be?? Anything I should know about before I go test drive these trucks??? Any info will be helpful. *tu*

newtitel.jpg

heilig_ford_explorer_xlt.1-lg.jpg

I'd go for it and buy one no problem, they drive very nice and are quite comfortable . Maybe you should consider renting one from Avis (ect...)for a weekend to try it out and see ...
Personally i like the Sport-trac more because I find it's more usefull,with the box/bed in back...i'd add a Fibro-bec though to close it off (beter aerodynamics and secure and looks hot IMO).With the longer wheelbase it's also more comfortable on the highway.The access in and out of the back doors is much easier with the Sport-tac also due to the larger rear doors . They are horrid on fuel , but unstoppable with good winter tires .....
A great 4 season car !!!!!!

And for the reliability aspect, really the Explorer line up has a good record .
We really don't see many problems here at the shop, perhalps the most complaints would be a shimmy in the front suspension (tie-rod/ball joints)and maybe some frt diff leaks .
They are regular (wear and tear ) problems though that you prolly could expect from most 4x4 vehicles , honestly they are quite reliable vehicles and i've seen many clients that have owned many Explorers over the years ......
The only other issue that comes to mind is a timming chain problem [tsb]on the early 4.0 DOHC engines , but this has been taken care of on the later cars, and prolly most of the affected engines are repaired by now ....

One thing i do see often on the body's is surface rust on the inner joints of the hood and tailgate/hatch ,also on the running boards if equiped with the tube style.Make sure if buying from a dealer, that they fix this for you . It's covered under the 3 year/60000 km warranty .

Good luck with your search, try to find one with a balance of garranty , this way you could be covered for a while should something happen. As long as the Basic warranty is in effect, you could also opt for a manufactuers extended warranty if you want ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back