modifing a 1993 mr-2 turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

D&D Tuning

Legacy Member
once my type r will be sold, ill will buy the 1993 toyota mr-2 turbo of my friend, its a accidented car front the state and the car is in amazing shape!!

now I want to put around 7000$ in modifing the engine, but I have no knowledge what so ever about toyoya, mayby beside the supra!!

I was thinking to start to upgrade the suspention for eibach sportline 1.6inch the go all go with performance part.

I know advance efi make upgrade kit for the mr2-turbo, so my idea was to go there and built a nice kit with custom manifold and piping....this is what i want to put on the car

-je piston 8.1cr with crower rod 1500$

the kit is around 5500$ installed
-garrett t3/04-e turbo with internal wastegate and custom advance manifold ceramic coated
- 3inch custom downpipe and full catback exhaust
- spearco big air-water intercooler or top mount intercooler with fal intercooler dual fan(stock location) with custom piping made by advance..............I believe the air-water is more efficient then the air-air intercooler
-turbo xs rfl bov
- advance efi piggy back system
- 550cc toyota supra injectors with resistor pack
- toyota supra tt fuel pump
- greddy profec b boost controller
- autometer boost and egt gauges
- act 6 puck cluth with extreme plate

what you guys think of that setup, with good tuning will it be possible to hit 12?? will the car be reliable?

my idea was to do the turbo kit and clutch first, run like 12psi of boost untill i upgrade the internal, the tune it for 20psi

what your expert think??

Sounds really good to me! It will be reliable, AND you'll be in the 12.. easy!!!

If you really want advices from experts, here they are! Ask questions there and th right answers will come!

board.mr2faq.com

The only thing I hate about your projrct is that you'll have more money than me for modding your Deuce... :(

;)

good luck! And I want to see this once its done... And if you ever wanna talk about it more, just send an email, ! Ill be happy to chat with you!

meikiri@hotmail.com

You picked a helluva good car to start with! Like Mr. Two said, you shouldn't have any trouble getting into the 12's with that set up. The 3SGTE is among the most durable 4 cyl's out there.

I would go with the WTA intercooler though. Top mount will always suffer from some heat soak sitting right on top the engine like that. WTA is a really clean set up and almost as efficient as a front mount (not applicable for your car obviously).

Be really careful with any piggy back ecu mods. The 3SGTE ecu is REALLY touchy and has a tendency to react badly (retard or advancce timing) when you try and fool it into changing fuel maps. I know someone who has modified LOTS of these engines and he has seen more than one set of melted pistons due to piggy back fueling computers. From what I hear you'll get away with some slight changes but just be careful.

Good luck and jeep us updated on the progress.

Karel Wegert
TWM

For myself, I would (and will ;) ) go with a trunk mount intercooler. An 911 porsche intercooler is just done like that and has the perfect dimensions ;) lol

And have the piping done either by GMS pointe-aux-tremble (ask Frank) or Camo Tuning...

You car will be more than fast ;)

Oh, and have you checked the mr2 board?

last news: I called today costa, the owner of extreme motorsport in laval, he owns a yellow mr-2 turbo with 415hp!! I will go there for my setup, here is what I talk about with him, and his price are very good!! This is what he's going to give me for my budjet of 6000$

- turbonetic t3-04e turbo with custom ar and compressor wheel
- custom manifold ported and matched to turbo
- tial 35mm wastegate with 10psi spring
- custom 3 inch downpipe and full exhaust ported and matched
- custom big trunk mount intercooler like him with dual fal intercooler fan and 3 inch piping ported and matched
- turbo xs rfl bov
- high volume fuel pump
- 2 extra injectors with a controller, the additional injectors only come on when the stock injectors reach maximum duty cycle, therefore the car drive like stock and the air-fuel ratio and timing will be stock, the car will also idle great
- act 6puck clutch with extreme plate, can hold 475pds of torque
- I already have the greddy boost gauge with autometer mounted cup!!

I hope to get in the 12sec with that setup

If I buy the car I plan on running 10psi all the time untill I upgrade the piston to forged JE or arias....to be honest if the stock piston dont let go, ill necer change them:bigup:

and mr. two yes ive been looking in the mr-2 site, did not
ask a question, costa at extreme look like he know's his stuff+ he owns an mr-2 with similar mods so I trust him:bigup:

no man, i wont boost up 15psi on stock internal, keep in mind that the t3/04-e is alot bigger than the stock ct-26, therefore creating more heat although I will have a huge trunk intercooler. 15psi will totally burn the stock piston!! I will have to talk to costa but 12 is the highest I will go, passed 12, I have to put a fuel cut defenser since the stock computer doesnt permit anything passed 12psi......I think 12psi will bring me close to 300+rwhp if not more

Originally posted by D&D Tuning
last news: I called today costa, the owner of extreme motorsport in laval, he owns a yellow mr-2 turbo with 415hp!! I will go there for my setup, here is what I talk about with him, and his price are very good!! This is what he's going to give me for my budjet of 6000$

If I buy the car I plan on running 10psi all the time untill I upgrade the piston to forged JE or arias....to be honest if the stock piston dont let go, ill necer change them:bigup:

and mr. two yes ive been looking in the mr-2 site, did not
ask a question, costa at extreme look like he know's his stuff+ he owns an mr-2 with similar mods so I trust him:bigup:

Mmm... I'm not sure I'll go with Costa ... I would not thrust him... Do you know how much problems he had with his setup? He sure has this nice MR2, but ever wondered why he doesn't have any real 1/4 times? why we never see this fast car on the track? At the official track events? But you sure will see his car at show n' shines ;) He had his big deal of problems... I talked to him twince about his setup, and didn't put me in much confidence...

I'm sure you can have something similar At CAMO Tuning while being sure the fiability is there ... Just a thought... But hey! That's you car and you decide what you want to do with it!

And for the stock pistons, I'm at 15 psi all day and run some time at 18 psi... no problems at all... A good investment with that power would be a racing clutch! ;)

Good luck!

Originally posted by Mr.Two

Costa has ran 12.7@114mph on bald street tires and pump gas. He has the sheets and video to prove it. From all the people he knows the MR2 the best. He had a problem with his car because of the person he bought his pistons from. They got him dome pistons which raises your compression which is a big no no for turbo engines. High compression and boost on pump gas=boom. If he had something to hide he wouldn't tell people about his problems and he would keep his mouth shut. Don;t you agree? H e also has a shop now and has to fix the paying customers cars first before he finishes his. Also, if we don't run our cars at every single event does it mean are cars aren't fast. Some people don't enjoy 1/4 mile racing and some people don;t like abusing their cars at the track especially since it costs so much money to build a car up. I have a 850hp 300zx and I don;t have to race it at the track everytime to prove something. I will gladly race anyone in the street or track on my slicks from a deadstop or a roll-on but it has to be for money.My ride cost me a lot and will not race (abuse my car) for fun.

PS: Wait until you see Costas new setup at the track along with his NOS. Can you say 11's on street tires???

Mmm... I'm not sure I'll go with Costa ... I would not thrust him... Do you know how much problems he had with his setup? He sure has this nice MR2, but ever wondered why he doesn't have any real 1/4 times? why we never see this fast car on the track? At the official track events? But you sure will see his car at show n' shines ;) He had his big deal of problems... I talked to him twince about his setup, and didn't put me in much confidence...

I'm sure you can have something similar At CAMO Tuning while being sure the fiability is there ... Just a thought... But hey! That's you car and you decide what you want to do with it!

And for the stock pistons, I'm at 15 psi all day and run some time at 18 psi... no problems at all... A good investment with that power would be a racing clutch! ;)

Good luck!

no man, i wont boost up 15psi on stock internal, keep in mind that the t3/04-e is alot bigger than the stock ct-26[/B]

I agree with rotary_rocket on this one, 15 PSI no problem. The larger the turbo the less it has to spin to achieve the same flow, so it actually works less, creating less heat/higher efficiency.
Also, in terms of size/flow it depends on the compressor wheel on the particular t3/t4 you're getting.
Just my 2 cents....Email me if you want to talk, son1780@yahoo.com I have some other ideas for you as well...sonny.

Last edited:
Twin Turbo Pete:

I'm glad to hear what you say... you brought informations that I wanted to know...

But I just want to say something here.. with all he's got he only made 12.7 ?!?

There is a big problem if you tell me!

I'll do just around that with a manual boost controller, straight exhaust, a little 40 hp of NOS, and a good clutch.. stock engine stock turbo, stock intercooler,everything else stock...

Costa ( and you) have really nicve cars.. I wont deny it... saw you last year at Julep, talked with costa at julep... and if I remember right, your car was parked just aside of costa's car at SCP 2...

But with this setup, bigger turbo, big ass intercooler fith fans, and all the hp he claims to have... (and I dont call him a liar, he must have all of this)... there is a problem if he's not in the low 12 or already in the 11's on street tires and pump gas... As for the tires its not even a concern with MR2's... Im doing 1.9 - 1.8 60ft with cheap end old goodyears taken from an oldsmobile alero...

I dont want to broke costa's reputation... but I just dont understant how all those mods arent affecting his times more than that...

thats all

Originally posted by Yellow-Mr2-T

I agree with rotary_rocket on this one, 15 PSI no problem. The larger the turbo the less it has to spin to achieve the same flow, so it actually works less, creating less heat/higher efficiency.
Also, in terms of size/flow it depends on the compressor wheel on the particular t3/t4 you're getting.
Just my 2 cents....Email me if you want to talk, son1780@yahoo.com I have some other ideas for you as well...sonny.

Hi Sonny!

I'm Mike... I talked with you last year at Julep... you called me once for a ride but I wasn't available... Im also on mr2faq board... Remember me? you were selling you acura that night :D Im the young guy with the yellow 93T ...

How is you two running?

Hi there,

All is good now, the car had an engine light/rich fuel ratio problem all summer, and I was only running 7 PSI, I figured out the problem last week, and will be fixing it today. Back to 15 PSI:bigup: Now that this is out of the way I can install some of my goodies. How is your car doing? Does everyone have there cars out still, we can organise a "Last weekend" show & drive around downtown....Any mr2ers interested? (I'll post a seperate mesg). Email me let me know what's new with your 2.

Well don;t look at the 12.7 look ay his MPH. That is what indicates his power. He also has a stand alone unit but there isn't a place with a wideband in Montreal to tune it properly and that is killing him because his fuel mixture is super rich as you can tell my his rear bumper. You don't play with your A/F mixture without a wideband plain and simple. After his setup is finished, he will be driving to TO and properly tune his car. It should high 11's without NOS. His car is crazy fat on the first two gears but then it dies with his super rich power curve. Anyhow, it should be an interesting year for that car when it is done.

Twin Turbo Pete:

I'm glad to hear what you say... you brought informations that I wanted to know...

But I just want to say something here.. with all he's got he only made 12.7 ?!?

There is a big problem if you tell me!

I'll do just around that with a manual boost controller, straight exhaust, a little 40 hp of NOS, and a good clutch.. stock engine stock turbo, stock intercooler,everything else stock...

Costa ( and you) have really nicve cars.. I wont deny it... saw you last year at Julep, talked with costa at julep... and if I remember right, your car was parked just aside of costa's car at SCP 2...

But with this setup, bigger turbo, big ass intercooler fith fans, and all the hp he claims to have... (and I dont call him a liar, he must have all of this)... there is a problem if he's not in the low 12 or already in the 11's on street tires and pump gas... As for the tires its not even a concern with MR2's... Im doing 1.9 - 1.8 60ft with cheap end old goodyears taken from an oldsmobile alero...

I dont want to broke costa's reputation... but I just dont understant how all those mods arent affecting his times more than that...

thats all

Originally posted by TwinTurboPete
Well don;t look at the 12.7 look ay his MPH. That is what indicates his power. He also has a stand alone unit but there isn't a place with a wideband in Montreal to tune it properly and that is killing him because his fuel mixture is super rich as you can tell my his rear bumper. You don't play with your A/F mixture without a wideband plain and simple. After his setup is finished, he will be driving to TO and properly tune his car. It should high 11's without NOS. His car is crazy fat on the first two gears but then it dies with his super rich power curve. Anyhow, it should be an interesting year for that car when it is done.

exactly my point... If he isnt able to tune his own car right.. why go and see him then for tuning ours...

I know he has great poential... and when everything will be fine for him, I will not hesitate to send him clients... But until then...

In fact, I dont have anything against the guy and what he knows... I've talked to him twice... But while he is still experimenting, I cannot recommand his shop... When a client go to a shop to get his car tuned, he want every thing to be ok when he get his keys back.. he dont want experimentations on his car...

Mike

With bolts ons, turbo kits, intercooler kits, there is no tuning involved. I guess you are saying nobody in Montreal can tune a car. Without a wideband is it impossible to fine tune a car. Not RMS, CAMO, TK, EFI can say they tuned your car without a wideband. They can get it running properly but not perfect. Why don;t you talk to all the guys that have gotten turbo kits installed there. They are more than happy. Some of them including CIVIC SIR, MAZDA MP3, Mazda Protege, Turbo bikes. They also did the front mount intercooler kist on the three Silvias (Greg, Marco, Alex) They also fixed Lucas WRX. No pount of arguing with you. Just go to a shop YOU are happy with. If its CAMO, by all means go there.

exactly my point... If he isnt able to tune his own car right.. why go and see him then for tuning ours...

I know he has great poential... and when everything will be fine for him, I will not hesitate to send him clients... But until then...

In fact, I dont have anything against the guy and what he knows... I've talked to him twice... But while he is still experimenting, I cannot recommand his shop... When a client go to a shop to get his car tuned, he want every thing to be ok when he get his keys back.. he dont want experimentations on his car...

Mike

hey Mike,
just read a few posts,
very interesting
you talk as if you know so much but i noticed everything you say is "I 'll DO"
then Just do it.
whats you best time?
theres thousands of different set ups
people go with VPC , stand alones...
others just go on the forum and type up stories.
good luck see
you on the track!
Costa

Hi costa... Glad to talk to you again...

As I said, I dont have anything against you or your shop... It's just that before sending and MR2 to your shop, I would have like to see your car runs what its supposed to.

Ok, My best for now is 13.9... Done this year... Really disapointing... but Im not trying to tune any car and I dont say I'm a guru in MR2 matters..

But this was done with a slipping clutch, badly cracked exhaust manifold (fumes coming from the engine bay more than from the exhaust) and a burned o2 sensor, and a ****ed up transmission... And cheapest tires youll ever find...

Those are not just excuses... I have more than a bunch of "temoins". Anyways.. I dont even consider it myself.. Its my problem... not other's problem...

Yep I say I'll run, because i have now my new exhaust manifold, and my new my new clutch and o2 sensor... Needs to be installed... Ill be on the track at Napi the 12 and/or 14 october... To test it out... I set my goal at 13.5, that will be more than easy to do (i suppose) and hope ror really low 13s...

Will you be there? I would love to see Quebec's fastest MR2 showing me its taillights ;)

And for Pete: For me it's a duo: TKMotion + Trac.. Tom and TRAC's staff can do amazing job... but as for anything, its an opinion...

Costa, I hope you'll be there for the MR2 meet on Sunday, it woud be great to see the car in action. See the Mr2/Toyota Meet post for details.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back