Need Info And Jeep Mechanic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaggy747

Legacy Member
Hey all..

I'm looking to purchase a 1998 JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT 2Dr 4X4.. The car looks really good and only has 110,000clics.. I test drove the vehicle and drives really smooth.. The car is mint, no rust and mechanics seem to run great. The dealer i'm wanting to purchase from is asking 7,900$.. New set of 33 inch Pirelli scorpion tires... I know this is an Inline6 4.0L high output engine. Its a 5 speed manual..

Here are the questions i'm looking to have answered by any conaisseurs out there:

1) Reliability of the over all Vehicle..
2) Mechanics Reliability
3) 4X4 system... Transfer case, diff,, need to know how reliable this all is
4) Is it a good bang for the buck

Last but not least... Because my mechanic specializes in VW's,, I would much appreciate anyone here who knows these cars well and is a cerified mechanic in order to have the vehicle inspected...(PREFERABLY A JEEP/CHRYLSER MECHANIC) PM me if anyone of you wanna make a couple of bucks and check out this deal for me..

I need ur help guy's...

Apreciate any feedback or coments anyone of you have on this deal as i'm debating between this model or a JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, older with a little more milage always in the same engine specs..

thnks

Elio :bigup:

NEED HELP PLS

Shaggy747 said:
Hey all..

I'm looking to purchase a 1998 JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT 2Dr 4X4.. The car looks really good and only has 110,000clics.. I test drove the vehicle and drives really smooth.. The car is mint, no rust and mechanics seem to run great. The dealer i'm wanting to purchase from is asking 7,900$.. New set of 33 inch Pirelli scorpion tires... I know this is an Inline6 4.0L high output engine. Its a 5 speed manual..

Here are the questions i'm looking to have answered by any conaisseurs out there:

1) Reliability of the over all Vehicle..
2) Mechanics Reliability
3) 4X4 system... Transfer case, diff,, need to know how reliable this all is
4) Is it a good bang for the buck

Last but not least... Because my mechanic specializes in VW's,, I would much appreciate anyone here who knows these cars well and is a cerified mechanic in order to have the vehicle inspected...(PREFERABLY A JEEP/CHRYLSER MECHANIC) PM me if anyone of you wanna make a couple of bucks and check out this deal for me..

I need ur help guy's...

Apreciate any feedback or coments anyone of you have on this deal as i'm debating between this model or a JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, older with a little more milage always in the same engine specs..

thnks

Elio :bigup:

I can vouch for the late eighties era Cherokees as being very reliable trucks as I worked for a Jeep dealer in that era. The frequent shortcomings that I saw at the time were: pre-mature failure of rear wiper motors, cracked exhaust manifolds, weak factory shocks, premature body corrosion underneath the plastic fender trim pieces. Other than these items the drivetrains were troublefree and the 4.0l engine very reliable but a bit of a gas guzzler.

Looking at alldata.com I found the following safety recalls for the '98 that you should verify are done..

TSB#
879 JUN 00 Recall - Front Brake Rotor Corrosion
860 MAY 00 Recall - Airbag Control Module Internal Corrosion
775 APR 98 Recall - Front Shoulder Belt Adjustable Anchors
764 MAR 98 Recall - Power Brake Booster

Just make sure the maintenance was done regularly and you should be fine.

As for inspections, go to the CAA garage near the Sources/Cardinal intersection. They are quite thorough and give you a detailed report of their findings and costs around 100-150.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back