I'm dumb at this

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleBen's

I know there's a lotta info in the sticky thread,, but I'm sure some of you can answer me too.

I know almost nothing about audio and I have some questions:
I just bought a 2x200W 6x9. My cd player is 4x40W.
I have no ampli or stuff like that. I just wanted to get rid od my crappy stock 15W mitsuu speakers. Does it mean that 160W get out of my speakers since I have only 4x40 at the source?
:confused:

2 channels vs 4, what does it change?
does a sub worth it if I listen metal and stuff like that? (no boom boom I mean)

PS: Je viens pas souvent sur ce forum, je dois vous avouer que vous êtes crack-pot en esti! (du moins quelques uns :D )
7000$ sur un système de son :eek:

on lâche pas :bigup:

Last edited:
99AltimaGXE will be with you shortly:D
But maybe i can help... the 4x40W is the peak power of your radio where "40W" go to each channel, front left speaker is one channel, front right speaker is another channel and so on....
however most radio outputs are 20-22 RMS <---that's the important output

As for the amps with 2 or 4 channels, it's the same as the radio....
the more channels, the more speakers you can run without splitting thw wires.......as for Metal, i don't know:D

hey, 4 channel means you can have 4 speakers attached to your ampli and 2 means well 2 and mono is of course 1 :)

in your case I would say use your header's ampli to run your speakers after all they're not real 200Watts either. it's 200 W max if every thing is perfect but hey guess what, nothing's perfect :rolleyes:

if someday you get more stuff like me :) then you'll need amplifiers to run your equipment.

and the sub can make a differience even if you listen to metal but it definetly makes a difference when you listen to well let's say menem or rap music.

one thing tho, if you're trying to build a race car "motor only" don't get subs because my 2 subs in their box weight probably not far from 150 pounds, so very heavy.

take care.
nice signature :bigup:

thanks guys.
hey patrick what do you mean by "in your case I would say use your header's ampli to run your speakers after all they're not real 200Watts either"?

If only 40w can go to 1 speaker (ex.:my 6x9 200w), did I waste my money? does it mean that I would need an ampli to "maximize my money" (to fill the 160w potential remaining watts?)
where will the 160w go, if they go somewhere?

thx again

they're 200 W max and probably 40-50 W RMS.
you'll probably never use your speakers at 200W max because they'll blow and put your car on fire :) at 200W they'll sound very BAD and distorted. what's interesting here is the 40-50 Watts and your header or players amp car provide you with enough juice to power your speakers.

now let's say you have a 2000W peak sub and 1000W RMS. your head unit will never be capable of providing your sub more than 40W(in theory-practice would be 27-30W) so I won't be capable of really using my sub. The sub will push your head unit's amp too hard and eventually you'll see white smoke coming out of your beautiful head unit :)

so as I said, they can power your speakers but that's about it, if you start to goof with the sound system(volume to max even if it sounds really bad and distorted) then you'll fry your head units amp and end up destroying your speakers.

take care.

ok it's a lil more clear now :D
your ampli would be interesting but I'm planning to buy a nissan pickup (and a sr20det swap, but shhhhhhhh...). maybe 480W would be to much in a non-kingcab pickup :cool:

thanks man

(was the 150$ bid serious??)

most of this has been covered, and I won't go into to too much detail, but yes your new speaker running off the HU will provide you with cleaner sound. but as others said an that will push a clean 50 or so Watts would be a better idea. And usually, again as other said, you 200W 6x9, is good for a little under half it's rated peak power. RMS = continuous power.... peak = really short term burp....

You could safely drive that speaker a 75W without any majot problem.

As for a sub, it wouldn't hurt to stick in a small 10" and use an HPF either from your radio or a seperate crossover, to relieve your speakers of a little bass, and let the sub handle it. Since you already have a HU, to build a minor system, brand new everything would come to about $1000-$1500. Used you may be able to find everything for about $600-$1000 depending on what you buy! But do things one at a time, see how they sound, then figure out what you want to sound better and where.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back