Watkins Glen race report

Status
Not open for further replies.

civic44

Legacy Member
Watkins Glen 2004 EMRA sprints and enduro

It’s been awhile since I’ve written about any events and the main reason is that I simply haven’t participated in any. As some of you may remember, I totaled my newly built 1991 Civic B16a this spring while testing (at a race school where I was instructing, of all places). It took me all summer to put together a replacement, a B18C1 powered 2000 SiR coupe. That’s just the way it goes when you don’t have tons of money to throw at a new car. In any event, I’d been looking forward to the EMRA event at Watkins Glen on October 22nd and 23rd all summer, knowing that no matter how slow the build of the new car went, it would be ready by this event. Well, long story short, it almost wasn’t ready. After some last minute testing, we had to change a steering rack and a rear trailing arm. I also had to buy a new tire and repair a wheel after a little off and puncture I had at Mosport a few days before the event. This would be our third year at the Glen event with EMRA. In 2002, we ran the sprints and enduro with my 1988 Honda Michelin Civic with a 92 hp 1.5 liter. We had DNF`d due to my losing the alternator belt in an off early in the race. In 2003, I co-drove with my friend Carl BBQMan Wener for the first time with the same Civic, but with a 1.6 liter 125 hp engine. We had won our class in the enduro last year despite being down on power in comparison with other ST1 class cars. The car had been dead reliable and we were turning great lap times for the setup we had, although not the fastest in the class. We had one on reliability and consistency. We hoped to do as well this year as we had a better suspension setup and more power. There were several Canadians making the trip down this year and our friend Rob Guerra was one of them. He brought his Type R powered 1993 hatchback. He was there for the two sprint races, not wanting to go through all the consumables necessary to complete a 3-hour enduro. Carl and I were splitting my car, each doing one sprint race and sharing the enduro seat time. I would run the 12-lap sprint race on Friday and Carl would run the Saturday one. The forecast called for sun and cloud and only 10% chance of rain. We headed down from Montreal to stay at the Holiday Inn on Thursday night. After stopping at the wrong Holday Inn not once but twice, we got to bed around 1:30. So much for a good night’s sleep! It was still raining at that time and I couldn’t imagine the track possibly being dry in the morning sessions. Sure enough, when we left the hotel at 6:30, it was still drizzling. We got to the track and removed all our gear from the car as well as the passenger seat. It was time to go racing! It wa still drizzling when I headed out onto the track for my first session around 9:00.

wetoddimage.wtdr

Our car, ready to race

We had relatively new Hankook Z211’s for dry and damp conditions (drove with them all the way from Montreal!) and some brand new Hankook K104’s (performance street tires with deep V-grooves) for serious rain. I went out on the Z211’s as the track wasn’t soaking wet, just quite damp. I was going to take it really easy, as I didn’t really know much about my car or its handling yet. The session went OK, I had no speed, I locked up the brakes once at turn 8 where the braking zone was extremely slick. Our friend and fellow Honda driver Matt Bookler didn’t hesitate to stick his car deep in the kitty litter on the first lap of the session. I could sympathize with him, having stuck my car there in the dry last year on the last lap of the enduro. I didn’t even bother to look at the lap times as they were sure to be quite sad. The car felt stable and I knew that I wasn’t pushing it the limits of adhesion or anywhere near that point. I wasn’t yet comfortable with the car. Also, we realized that our non-Vtec transmission’s ratios were completely wrong for this track (and probably most tracks). Second was too short for the slower corners as you would run out of revs at crucial moments, while third was too long. In fact, you can go over 100 mph in 3rd with this setup. We lost a lot of time at the toe of the boot for this reason. The second session was qualifying. It was drier as the track was about 75% dry. As you all know, you can’t turn a good lap on a mostly dry track either. There was still quite a bit of wetness in turns 2 (first part of the esses) and 6 (laces of the boot). I was still in “take it easy” mode. Rob, who had gone out on the K104’s eventually lost it in 2 and hit both guardrails. I saw his car on the side of the track and wasn’t too worried about him as the damage seemed very minor. As it turned out, I was looking at the good side of the car. The right side sustained heavy damage and the car was towed away on the flatbed. The session was black flagged and I saw the true extent of the damage when Rob’s car came in. Fortunately, Rob was walking along beside the truck so we knew he was OK. His seat was bent to the side by several degrees from the impact. He seemed disappointed, but not too angry. It was sad to see his weekend over almost before it began since he came all the way from England to do this event. With a positive attitude, he began working on the car to see if there was any way he would be able to drive it home. He doesn’t have a tow vehicle either. He ended up having to change an axle and 2 wheels and play around with the alignment a lot. As a joke, Carl painted all the duct tape on the body black to match the car, and it actually looked much better!

wetoddimage.wtdr

Rob's car after the off

wetoddimage.wtdr

Carl getting ready for his first stint

Before my sprint race, Carl got his first stint in the car in the “hardship” practice. We were beginning to notice that car consumed serious amounts of motor oil. We had suspected this after our lapping day at Mosport. We wondered how we would ever finish the enduro using a pint of oil every 20 minutes. Carl’s lap times were encouraging though. The track was slow but he was doing OK. He was finally at the point where he could be flat out from the exit of turn one to the inner loop (chicane). This had been a piece of cake in the old car, but it had much less power. My short qualifying hadn’t produced much of a result as I had still been in “drive slow, you don’t want to wreck a second car in one year” mode. I was 15th out of 20 cars in big bore. There were several Craftsman style trucks who hadn’t bothered to qualify starting behind me. As one might imagine, they all thundered by me on the first lap. The race was going OK and I was finally gaining confidence and beginning to take the fast section flat out. There seemed to be a flat spot around 7000 rpm though and I realized I might be short on oil in some corners. Then the check engine light came on and I knew that there was no longer enough oil for the Vtec to come on. I came in. I hadn’t brought any oil to the pits so I went and parked in the paddock. I could hear that the race was still going on so I got out, threw in a liter of oil and drove back to the pit lane. I waited to be waived on to the track and gunned it. I then caught up to a bunch of the pickup trucks and realized the checker had already dropped and I was on the cooldown lap. They even black flagged me on the second half of the lap because I had gone out after the checker (after being waved on by a pit official, but anyways…). I was pretty pissed off, as this was only my second DNF ever. I didn’t stay pissed off for long. It was a good day in that the car came back in one piece (I have new standards for a good day since wrecking my old Civic) and that I was slowly building up confidence. I only regretted running out of oil right when I was starting to feel good about my driving. We had to figure out what to do about the oil consumption before Saturday. We bought 5 liters of 20w50 and did an oil change at the end of the day, hoping the extra viscosity would solve things. Carl went out for his practice in the morning and put down some really good laps, several seconds faster than I had gone in my half sprint race. He had his race an hour later and did pretty well, although there was no way to win the class as there was a Mustang GT lapping 4 seconds a lap faster than him. Still, he was beginning to see that the car had potential and we knew that it would not do anything evil or unpredictable.

It looked like we were consuming a lot less oil and would be able to manage 45-minute stints in the enduro without having to add oil. We were supposed to get a 45 minute session to practice and qualify for the enduro. We decided to split the session and have Carl put down a good lap and then bring it in so I could finally get some seat time in the dry. The session was shortened to 30 minutes and I expected him in after around 13-14 minutes. He came in after only 8 minutes and I asked what was wrong. He said we were overheating. We hadn’t expected this as the car had never overheated before in any circumstance (despite having no fan on the rad because I didn’t find one in time). I decided to go out anyway and see if the temperature would come down. I was shortshifting, but decided it was pointless, so I went to the paddock and parked it. We had qualified last in our class, which included the Mustang and the quick cars of our friends from Quebec who had joined us on Saturday and had classified themselves in STGT as well, although we considered this to be wrong and these cars were far from the spirit of the ST class (for example, you can’t have drastic weight reduction or lexan windows, which all of these cars had -- The M3 obviously didn’t belong in ST either. They were all later reclassified by the officials). When we checked the car, we saw that the overflow was full and there was not much fluid in the rad. We ran around asking for suggestions. We filled it up with water and changed the rad cap, borrowing the one from Rob’s car. We weren’t that confident that this would solve the problem so with 15 minutes to go before the race, we decided to change the thermostat for a borrowed one. Now, we all know that changing a thermostat is a piece of cake, but it’s a bit tougher when the engine is still hot. I mean, quite hot, even through my Mechanix gloves. We finished installing it with no time to spare. We couldn’t properly bleed the system as the water would shoot up as soon as we poured it in with the engine running. Carl was strapping in as I added oil. We heard the race beginning and knew we were going to get a late start. We figured it would be worth it to have reliability for 3 hours though. Did I mention the car wouldn’t start any more? We figured we must have soaked a wire to the starter or something, so we started the car on compression. When Carl made it to the pits, he was sent out immediately. I arrived there shortly after on foot and wondered how many laps we had missed. Carl was gone and the field came around to get the green flag. We hadn’t missed any laps at race speed and when the tail end of the field went by the start-finish line, I saw that Carl was not far behind the slowest cars. Not bad! I was feeling pretty good about our last-minute efforts to get the cooling system in order. My bubble burst when Carl came in after only 20 minutes. The car was overheating again. We did a driver change so I could go out and get a few laps before we parked it. I went out and the temp went quite high right away. I did 2 laps and decided to call it quits. I came in to the pits and decided that we should try to do a proper bleed, even if it took 15 or 20 minutes. I think Carl was ready to park it at that point, because he knew I had to drive the car over 300 miles back home the next day. Although position was no longer a factor, I figured we should try to get out money’s worth and do some laps, so the guys got to work. Rob (who was now a member of our crew) and Carl did a proper bleed and I went out. My eye was constantly on the gauge, but all seemed in order. Second lap as well. And the third… It seemed our problem was solved. I decided I’d do a few laps and then let Carl take over so he could enjoy the now functional car. He got in the car and went out for a few laps before coming in for gas, oil and because the car was overheating again. I was floored. I had been sure that the problem was solved. We added the necessary gas and oil and I got back in the car and went out for a few short-shifting laps before the race was temporarily black flagged to clear up an incident. We were not allowed to touch the car or do any work while it sat there in the line of cars in pit lane. I asked a pit official to let me work on the car and assess us some sort of penalty. He wouldn’t let us. It was agonizing, having the car sitting there with the engine off and with all our bleeding kit right there. We told them that we couldn’t wait for me to do another lap with almost no coolant. Finally, the marshal let us push the car out of the way (still no starter) and they told us we could start working on it after the field re-started. We did another proper bleed which took several minutes. I went out for a few more laps at speed with some minor shortshifting (8000 instead of 8500). It was hard to string together a good lap as my eye was always on the temperature gauge. I had trouble maintaining the concentration necessary to turn a fast safe lap. I came in after a while so that Carl could get some more laps in. One or two laps later, the Mustang in our class blew its engine big time and dumped oil all over the race line leading up to turn 8. All cars came in and I went to see Carl. This was to be a long black flag and again we were refused the right to touch the car. Again we waited until all the other cars left to do a coolant bleed. It went better as the engine had cooled a bit during the delay. In fact, we completed the bleed fast enough that we didn’t even go down a lap. That means we only took about 2 minutes to do the bleed. When we sent Carl out, he caught up to the field which had been running behind the pace car. Carl was shortshifting before 3 laps before the temp went up yet again. He pitted with about 30 minutes to go for a driver change. At least we were using a lot less fuel than anticipated. We even sold some to another team during the event. As I strapped in, Carl did a quick bleed by himself as Rob was nowhere to be found (probably working on his own car by then!). I went out and the temp was high right from my first lap. I tried to carry as much speed as possible through the turns and think I learned quite a bit. When using 4th instead of third in most turns, the car totally became a momentum car. I was more confident in the turns and was really riding the rumble strips in the chicane by now. I was torn between trying to limp to the checker (limp is a relative term, I was still catching other cars) or parking it to make sure I could still drive home the next day. Each lap the temperature was peaking higher and dropping lower. It was getting to the point where it would be stupid not to come in and call it quits. Then, miraculously, the checker appeared! The race was over. All I had to do was get around one more lap. I did most of that lap in 5th but still the temperature was near the red zone. I guess that by then there was simply no more coolant in the engine. I made it around the cooldown lap and didn’t stop at all in the pits, just wanting to get the car back to the paddock. When Carl joined me, our spirits were high. We really hadn’t expected to still be around at the checker. At the trophy presentation, we actually claimed first in the combined STGT/STE class! We were the only finishers. We had completed 48 laps. The overall winners had run over 60. We had won by being the least unreliable car. As the saying goes, to finish first, first you must finish!

wetoddimage.wtdr

Our car after the big event

wetoddimage.wtdr

Carl (left) and I after the big race

When playing with the car after the race, I noticed we had unplugged a connector leading to the starter so that problem was quickly solved. The passenger power window was stuck down and I had to do a ghetto fix of running the battery directly to the regulator with booster cables to get it back up before the drive home (so that my fiancee wouldn’t freeze). The drive home was uneventful, we got a speeding ticket for 68 in a 55 and drove much slower the rest of the way home. I’ve parked the car in my parents’ garage and am just going to let it sit there for a while… I’ve spent enough time and money on it that I’ll be glad to take a break and forget about the car’s problems (probably a head gasket) for a few weeks. I’ve got all winter to sort them, right?

P.S. I’d like to thank Carl for being my partner this weekend and sharing the car (and the expense) for the weekend. I want to thank Alex, my fiancée, for putting up with me this weekend (and in general) and listening to hours of car-talk. Thanks to Rob and Remi for crewing for us. Thanks to my sponsors TRAC Racing, TK Race heads, Enjo Precision Products, Progress Technologies and Motul. Finally, thanks to Richard Veilleux for assembling the car from a bunch of parts before TRAC could make it into a race car.

Congrats, great story. To bad you had so much problems, but that's motoracing.

Hopfuly if you still doing it in a couple of years i could join you.

Last edited:
Wow. Great story telling. No wonder racers get the blues during the week after having spent such exciting moments on weekends. Racing does beats playing golf...

Vince, nice story. You did it again! :D

Looks like you guys have an infinite amount of patience.

Next race, try to bypass the thermostat. Most racecars do that. It is safer as you never know when the thermostat is going to fail you. And bypassing it will allow you to get 100% fresher coolant. My car used to run around 220/230°F and since I bypassed the thermostat I run a much fresher 190/200° F and burn much less oil as it is not as thin.

On the few laps where the temperature was OK and Carl didn't have to shortshift, Carl was doing 2:23's. We think the car should do 2:20 or 2:21 though, as we were doing 2:24 with my old car last year with only 125 hp.

Excellent write-up Vincent.Really gives us a good sense of what it's like to go beyond hobby-racing .You really have to give it everything you've got to succeed.
Sorry about your ticket.I didn't want to stick around as I figured Smokey would nail us "en groupe" and small red cars with loud exhausts tend to draw their attention.

A4kev said:
Excellent write-up Vincent.Really gives us a good sense of what it's like to go beyond hobby-racing .You really have to give it everything you've got to succeed.
Sorry about your ticket.I didn't want to stick around as I figured Smokey would nail us "en groupe" and small red cars with loud exhausts tend to draw their attention.

Yeah, the protocol is that only the cars ordered to stop should actually stop. No worries.

Now I know why I was so tired on the drive home. Everything seemed to pass so quickly.
Vince, it's always a blast racing with you...even if the preparation has some 'ghetto' feeling to it! :D ...I couldn't resist.

Can't wait either, to see my TT times in the wet.

Nice story Vince :bigup:

C'est plus intéressant que mon histoire:

My car had only three brakes, so I rented a Pontiac Grand Prix GT and did my TT in the wet :rant: Crappy rental tires!

NY State Troopers suck! :thefinger :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back