JSPEC Online Magazine: 1997 Nissan 240SX

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldskool

Legacy Member
4+2 = 6.

gallery%2Farticles%2FChadS14%2F01%2Ejpg

Six straight cylinders to be exact. Add on 2.5 Liters, a turbo and a 1997 Nissan 240SX and you'll get one helluva ride. Chad Goldey of Davis, CA has built such a ride, and while the others have gone the usual route of dropping SR20DET's into their 240's, Chad had decided that he didn't want to follow the herd.

gallery%2Farticles%2FChadS14%2F02%2Ejpg

At first an SR out of a newer Japanese S15 Silvia was on the list but Chad's insatiable urge for something different from the pack led him to Motorsport Dynamics of Sacramento, CA three years ago. Henry of Motorsport Dynamics talked Chad into swapping in a RB25DET from a R34 Skyline GT-T. Like it's twin turbo cousin the RB25 has the same straight six cylinder layout as the RB26DETT found in the infamous Skyline GT-R's but minus a turbocharger, nevertheless you got to admit anything straight six and turbocharged is pretty cool.

gallery%2Farticles%2FChadS14%2F04%2Ejpg

At the time, RB swaps into 240's were about as common as me finding a date on Friday night but it was something that was not out of reach. Being one of the first stateside enthusiast to preform such a swap meant many hurdles needed to be conquered even for the project to begin. For one, wiring was going to be a major issue since no one had really done anything like this yet, so trying to find diagrams to wire up the beast were not readily available to the average joe.

gallery%2Farticles%2FChadS14%2F06%2Ejpg

But since Chad was working with a very resourceful tuner his project was about to get underway sooner than expected. While visiting Japan, Henry of Motorsport Dynamics did his customer a huge service by picking up a factory Nissan service manual for the Skyline GT-T, this nice piece of reading material was a giant leap forward in getting Chad's project off the ground. Not only that, it turns out Henry is friends with a tuner in Japan called Midori Seibi. Famous for tuning Skylines, Midori Seibi provided the much needed ECU pinouts that was part of this intricate puzzle. Meanwhile, Goldey outfitted the gorgeous Nissan with a GP Sports FRP front bumper along with Yashio Factory side skirts which added an aggressive yet subtle look to the sharp body lines. A Kouki "Silvia" emblem adorns the rear while a Kouki Silvia grill sits front and center. TC-F Craft Carbon race mirrors were added along with Japanese clear signal lights for the rest of the exterior mods. Inside the stock steering wheel was thrown out for a beefy S15 Silvia unit, which added a nice touch to the clean interior next to the Japanese spec optional gauges mounted on the center console. The Bride Brix seat keeps the driver in place with it's deep bolsters while the passengers of this wild ride have to hang on for dear life when Chad decides to scare the living crap out of his friends.

gallery%2Farticles%2FChadS14%2F07%2Ejpg

With the motor in, minor motor upgrades were in order since this was to be a daily / weekend vehicle. And retaining reliability was a large factor for this 240. Goldey added on a Greddy Intake plenum along with a larger bore throttle body off of a Infiniti Q45. A Mitsubishi 3000GT fuel pump was installed along with a A'pexi GT Spec exhaust system and GT Spec downpipe. Pressure is relived thru an ARC blowoff valve, and engine management is done by an A'pexi Power FC unit with commander which was installed for a full range of tunability on the potent RB25. With these minor upgrades the motor is estimated to put down around 300 heart pumping horse power.

gallery%2Farticles%2FChadS14%2F08%2Ejpg

The RB25 also utilizes an A'pexi 1.8 mm headgasket, A'pexi GT Spec Front mount intercooler, Calsonic radiator, and a Nismo timing belt. Chad, being the fan of A'pexi products also picked up a set of A'pexi N1 Type V coilovers the keep the 240 quick on it's feet. Other suspension upgrades include Nismo front tension rods, JIC rear upper camber arms, and Nismo wheel studs. Rollers consist of huge Gold faced Work VS-XX 18x8 in the front and 18x9.5 in the rear. To scrub off major amounts of speed in a hurry, the factory brakes were upgraded to Japanese S14 Silvia 4 piston calipers.

gallery%2Farticles%2FChadS14%2F10%2Ejpg

After three years Chad's dream of owning a 240 has come to fruition, and I must say this is one 240 that stands out from the pack.

gallery%2Farticles%2FChadS14%2F17%2Ejpg

ENGINE

2000 Skyline R34 25GTT RB25DET
Apexi Power FC fuel management
Apexi GT Spec intercooler
Apexi 1.8mm head gasket
Apexi GT Spec Down Pipe
Apexi GT Spec exhaust
3000GT fuel pump
HKS SMF intake
HKS turbo Outlet/Elbow
Infiniti Q45 throttle body
Denso plugs
ARC BOV
Calsonic radiator
ARP Headbolts
Samco Intercooler hoses
Nismo Timing Belt
Custom lightweight driveshaft

gallery%2Farticles%2FChadS14%2F13%2Ejpg

SUSPENSION

Apexi N1 coilovers
Nismo FR/RR strut braces
Nismo front tension rods
Nismo wheel studs
JIC rear upper camber arms

gallery%2Farticles%2FChadS14%2F11%2Ejpg

WHEELS/TIRES & BRAKES

Front: 18x8.0 Work VS-XX w/ Sumitomo tires
Rear: 18x9.5 Work VS-XX w/ Toyo tires
Nissan 4 piston FR brakes

gallery%2Farticles%2FChadS14%2F18%2Ejpg

EXTERIOR

Front GP Sports bumper
Yashio Factory sideskirts
Rear optional Factory Nissan spats
JDM Bluebird emblems
Rear Kouki Silvia Emblem
TC-F Craft Square carbon side view mirrors
JDM clear signal lights
JDM Kouki Grille

gallery%2Farticles%2FChadS14%2F12%2Ejpg

INTERIOR

Red Bride Brix seats
JDM S14 cluster
JDM S15 stock steering wheel
JDM 3 Gauge optional
JDM sun visors
Nismo shift knob
Apexi Power FC commander
Drift spin turn knob
Sony headunit
Boston speakers

I don't know what it is but I am really not impressed with this car. Can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't seem to really flow to me.

I dunno, maybe I am not one too talk but I have seen much more noteworthy S chassis, even in Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back