Important : Drift Technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

volksaddict

Drift Sessions

Heel Toe Shifting

Learn proper race shifting to get your car into the right gear for drifting. Includes double clutch shifting.

Power Over

This performed when entering a corner and using full throttle to produce heavy oversteer through the turn. You need horsepower to make this happen.

E-Brake Drift

This technique is very basic, pull the E-Brake or side brake to induce rear traction loss and balance drift through steering and throttle play. This can also be used to correct errors or fine tune drift angles. Main drift technique used in FWD vehicles.

Clutch Kick

This is performed by depressing the clutch pedal on approach or during a mild drift, then the clutch is "popped" to give a sudden jolt through the driveline to upset rear traction.

Shift Lock

This is performed by letting the revs drop on downshift into a corner and then releasing the clutch to put stress on the driveline to slow the rear tires inducing over steer. This is like pulling the E-brake through a turn, but this should be performed on wet ground to minimize damage to the driveline.

Dirt Drop

This is performed by dropping the rear tires off the road into the dirt to maintain or gain drift angle without losing power or speed and to set up for the next turn. This technique is very useful for low horsepower cars. Do not attempt this technique at the Drift Session.

Feint Drift

This is performed by rocking the car towards the outside of a turn and then using the rebound of grip to throw the car into the normal cornering direction. This is heavy rally racing technique used to change vehicle attitudes during cornering.

Jump Drift

In this technique the rear tire on the inside of a turn or apex is bounced over a curb to lose traction resulting in over steer. Do not attempt this technique at the Drift Session.

Braking Drift

This is performed by trail braking into a corner. Loss of grip is obtained and then balanced through steering and throttle motions. This is mainly for medium to low speed corners.

Kansei Drift

This is performed at race speeds. When entering a high speed corner a driver lifts his foot off the throttle to induce a mild oversteer and then balances the drift through steering and throttle motions. The car that is being used for this style of drift should be a neutral balanced car therefore the oversteer will induce itself. If the car plows through any turn this technique will not work.

Long Slide Drift

This is done by pulling the E-brake through a strait to start a high angel drift and to hold this to set up for the turn ahead. This technique can only be done at high speed.

Swaying Drift (Choku-Dori)

This is a slow side-to-side faint like drift where the rear end sways back and forth down a strait.

------------------------------------------------------------

Drift Bible Video (627meg) Torrent links -> Drift Bible

If the first one is broken

Last edited:
Nice post, and anyone who is interested should really check out Drift Kings video, can't remember its name though.

It is really great, discussing many different techniques, most of which are listed there. It has views of the pedals and hand work Drift King does, as well as this crazy thing called the G-ball I believe :bigup:

One strange thing though, he didn't like how the S13 drifted, and he preferred the S14, but hey, he is the Drift King for a reason.

I've seen the DVD this comes from and it's not bad. This is basically a list of techniques used by rally drivers since the 1950's. I'm surprised that the "drift king" doesn't mention such staples as LFB and pendulum turns. LFB is by far the most common technique used by rally drivers to throw their cars into controlled drifts...and these guys know a thing or two about drifting!

A few other comments:

The "Clutch Kick" and "Shift Lock" are really amateurish techniques that are very coarse (i.e., not controlled) and very hard on the car. You really should not be relying on them! And most organizations would boot you out of an event if you purposely go off the track...so I don't see how you'd ever be able to use the "Dirt Drop!" If you've ever put a rear wheel off on the dirt, you know how hard it can be to keep the car under control. And you can easily barrel roll if you go off sideways into soft ground, so you'd have to be nuts to do this on purpose!

What Best Motoring calls the "Feint Drift" is commonly referred to as the "Scandinavian Flick." You can find a lot more about this technique if you read about performance rally.

What they call "Brake Drift" is generally referred to as "Trail Braking (TB)" in road racing and rally circles. You can read a lot more about this technique if you use the proper name.

Something like what they call the "Kansai Drift" is used very commonly in motorsports. We generally just call it a "throttle lift" or "Trailing Throttle Oversteer (TTO)." You just lift slightly to plant the front and loosen the rear. If your car is set up nicely, this can be a pretty subtle movement. LFB is related and can be more controlled than trailing throttle (esp. in a forced induction car).

Anyway, it's an interesting thread.

Emre

LanEvo said:
I've seen the DVD this comes from and it's not bad. This is basically a list of techniques used by rally drivers since the 1950's. I'm surprised that the "drift king" doesn't mention such staples as LFB and pendulum turns. LFB is by far the most common technique used by rally drivers to throw their cars into controlled drifts...and these guys know a thing or two about drifting!

A few other comments:

The "Clutch Kick" and "Shift Lock" are really amateurish techniques that are very coarse (i.e., not controlled) and very hard on the car. You really should not be relying on them! And most organizations would boot you out of an event if you purposely go off the track...so I don't see how you'd ever be able to use the "Dirt Drop!" If you've ever put a rear wheel off on the dirt, you know how hard it can be to keep the car under control. And you can easily barrel roll if you go off sideways into soft ground, so you'd have to be nuts to do this on purpose!

What Best Motoring calls the "Feint Drift" is commonly referred to as the "Scandinavian Flick." You can find a lot more about this technique if you read about performance rally.

What they call "Brake Drift" is generally referred to as "Trail Braking (TB)" in road racing and rally circles. You can read a lot more about this technique if you use the proper name.

Something like what they call the "Kansai Drift" is used very commonly in motorsports. We generally just call it a "throttle lift" or "Trailing Throttle Oversteer (TTO)." You just lift slightly to plant the front and loosen the rear. If your car is set up nicely, this can be a pretty subtle movement. LFB is related and can be more controlled than trailing throttle (esp. in a forced induction car).

Anyway, it's an interesting thread.

Emre

i love post like this, man keep it up *tu*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back