sideways AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatz

Legacy Member
I see many topics about drifting techniques, and I'm sure it would work with rear wheel drive cars, but what about AWD cars??

I've already tried downshifting and heel toe techniques before, and I know I just can't get my car to go sideways.

Maybe I need more speed??

Anyone care to write a post about all wheel drive drifting??

Gatz said:
I see many topics about drifting techniques, and I'm sure it would work with rear wheel drive cars, but what about AWD cars??

I've already tried downshifting and heel toe techniques before, and I know I just can't get my car to go sideways.

Maybe I need more speed??

Anyone care to write a post about all wheel drive drifting??

Marco @ Automotion:

well you do need speed, but weight transfer is your main thing that you need to concentrate and practice. when you do a weith transfer give it a e-brake shot to help breaking loose then controle your drift with your throtle and steering. Dont forget that if you counterster alot you will kill you drift (depending of the speed your goin at), so first get the car sideways then controle the angle not to much of sterring and alot of throtle. The technique may varry depending on the type of vehicile you drive.

"WARNING" you will gain alot of speed while drifting AWD, faster then a RWD. Make sure you have alot of room when practicing AWD Drifts. the more angle you get, slower will be your drift but nicer.

Let us know how it went! Good Luck :bigup:

but marco, i was trying to explain this to a friend who has an impreza

when initiating a drift, if he pulled the e-brake, wouldnt the car have to be in neutral, because it would upset the drivetrain, especially with awd?
the reason i ask is because his impreza is automatic.

I drifted once in a WRX on semi-humid ashphalt and holy shit I almost shat my pants... totally different them my RWD... I'd like to have more practice at it though, seemed harder !

940T said:
I drifted once in a WRX on semi-humid ashphalt and holy shit I almost shat my pants... totally different them my RWD... I'd like to have more practice at it though, seemed harder !

It is harder, and its scary cause you accualy gain speed, if you dont give throtle you wont drift.

Steve s14, automatic is not a big problem, Give throtle wile doing the weight transfer make sure the tranny does a kickdown at the same time, be more agressive with the steering when doing the weight transfer.

Chunky_Bai said:
It is harder, and its scary cause you accualy gain speed, if you dont give throtle you wont drift.

Yeah, I learned that pretty quickly lol ;) After I came out of work there was a note on the windshield, and I quote:

"You crazy f*ck!!!!!!! It's because of young f*ckers like you that the insurence rates are so high !!! If I see you again I'm calling the cops !!!" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

940T said:
Yeah, I learned that pretty quickly lol ;) After I came out of work there was a note on the windshield, and I quote:

"You crazy f*ck!!!!!!! It's because of young f*ckers like you that the insurence rates are so high !!! If I see you again I'm calling the cops !!!" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: ya when nothing bad hapens its funny, just take it easy dude :bigup:

Chunky_Bai said:
:laugh: ya when nothing bad hapens its funny, just take it easy dude :bigup:

Bah, nothing even came close to being bad... As you probably know people to nuts when they see cars sideways in traffic :)

Chunky_Bai said:
i have no idea what your talking about :rolleyes: :D

hehe, they will never understand, I got used to the flashing lights, fingers, dirty looks and honking horns though :)

AUTOMOTION said:
Marco @ Automotion:

well you do need speed, but weight transfer is your main thing that you need to concentrate and practice. when you do a weith transfer give it a e-brake shot to help breaking loose then controle your drift with your throtle and steering. Dont forget that if you counterster alot you will kill you drift (depending of the speed your goin at), so first get the car sideways then controle the angle not to much of sterring and alot of throtle. The technique may varry depending on the type of vehicile you drive.

"WARNING" you will gain alot of speed while drifting AWD, faster then a RWD. Make sure you have alot of room when practicing AWD Drifts. the more angle you get, slower will be your drift but nicer.

Let us know how it went! Good Luck :bigup:

Waited a while to reply to this.
'Cause of the nice rain today, good time to give it a shot.

Didn't need to pull my e-brake, and didn't countersteer at all (didn't need to).

Basically, I went into 2nd gear at normal road speed, then brake enough so that the weight of my car goes forward, then I punched the accelerator and turned. Felt the inertia push me to the right (I was turning left). An insane grinding noise coming from the tyres and I oversteered the 90 degree turn. The car was about 130 degrees misaligned to the road. Then I regained traction shortly after. And yeah, I gained some good speed also.

Did this once only though, people were staring at the retard drifting in the rain. :p

Gatz said:
Waited a while to reply to this.
'Cause of the nice rain today, good time to give it a shot.

Didn't need to pull my e-brake, and didn't countersteer at all (didn't need to).

Basically, I went into 2nd gear at normal road speed, then brake enough so that the weight of my car goes forward, then I punched the accelerator and turned. Felt the inertia push me to the right (I was turning left). An insane grinding noise coming from the tyres and I oversteered the 90 degree turn. The car was about 130 degrees misaligned to the road. Then I regained traction shortly after. And yeah, I gained some good speed also.

Did this once only though, people were staring at the retard drifting in the rain. :p

Power-over Drift! :bigup:

J'avoue ce soir yavais du monde enerver !!! j'ai vue une s14a blanche avec une Rx-7 noir debile !!! les 2 etait plaqué de l'ontario j'aurais aimé voir un peux de sideway de leurs par mais rien :( mais juste le fais de voir ces 2 voitures speed a fond cetait terrible !!!! ca ma fais rever hehe !!

pour ma part je me suis paité un ti sideway sur la bratelle d'accet de l'autoroute 25 et des miles iles .. toujours comic de voir les visages des gens qui vois un meck rentrer de coté sur l'autoroute lolol
tk ont na eux du fun mais sans rendre ca dangereux !! mais quand je vois la s14 a mon friend de coté si longtemps ca m'envie de mon awd !!

pkoi j'ai vendu ma rex :(

Silvia[S14]ProJ said:
J'avoue ce soir yavais du monde enerver !!! j'ai vue une s14a blanche avec une Rx-7 noir debile !!! les 2 etait plaqué de l'ontario j'aurais aimé voir un peux de sideway de leurs par mais rien :( mais juste le fais de voir ces 2 voitures speed a fond cetait terrible !!!! ca ma fais rever hehe !!

pour ma part je me suis paité un ti sideway sur la bratelle d'accet de l'autoroute 25 et des miles iles .. toujours comic de voir les visages des gens qui vois un meck rentrer de coté sur l'autoroute lolol
tk ont na eux du fun mais sans rendre ca dangereux !! mais quand je vois la s14 a mon friend de coté si longtemps ca m'envie de mon awd !!

pkoi j'ai vendu ma rex :(

That is pretty incriminating, maybe a little bit of restraint in telling stories about reckless driving on a public highway.

hey rien de fou !!! ya persone mais completement personne pour ceux qui connaisse le bout le soir ces deserts !! et sur lautoroute yavais que 2 char qui etait deriere moi plus loin alors si je me paitais ben cetait moi tout seul

j'ai pas dit que j'ai fais ca a tout les coins de rue !!!

Play safe is the key !

il faut faire la difference entre celuil qui pousse ca machine nimporte quand quand ca lui pogne et celuil qui la pousse seullement quand l'occasion a donne bien de maniere a ne pas blaisser ou peux importe les autres !

Ultra vires said:
what is a"scandinavian flick" ?
In french we say "pendule". It's when you first initiate a drift or a weight transfert in the oposite direction of a turn, and "kick" back the car to take the turn. (sorry for my english).

It is mainly used in rally or when having a hard turn without grip or speed!

For the AWD drifting technics, you can use the entrance of the FWD technics and exit like a RWD. So use a lot of weight transfert/handbrake to initiate the drift and control your drift with the throttle.

I have an impreza and I usualy avoid using the handbrake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back