Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russianguy

Legacy Member
Which tires would you recommend guys? I currently have Continental Conti Sport Contact and they are pretty good but i need to replace a set of rear ones. I'm thinking either of just getting the same tires for the rear wheels or going out and getting 4 tires of a different brand. What would you recommend?

If you know of any good deals, please PM me with a price and tire brand.

Thanks

The contis are a good compromise

If you are looking for more performance, the Micheline Pilot Sport or the Bridgestone S03s

I have the Pilot Sports and they are not aggressive enough for me (but I drive aggressively). I think the treadwear is something like 220.. I had the S02s before on my other car and the treadwear was 140! Much grippier but didn't last long. I am happy if my tires last me one summer.

What are you looking for in terms of traits?

Rob

Rob,

i need something that has a threadwear above 250 since i do not want to be replacing my tires too often. I drive normally usually, but sometimes i like playing around and being aggressive. Not really into track racing and not really into drag racing. Just need something regular.

I was looking at Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 or Nitto 450 or 555s... Those are not the highest performing tires but they give the bang for the buck people say.

It also turns out that Continental SportContact tires are being discontinued in 2003. They will be replaced by SportContact2, so I think now is a good time to switch my tires.

Is it bad to have two different sets of tires? Let's say Continental Sport Contact on the front and a different manufacturer on the back?

bmw318: How much did your tires cost you?

Well the Kumho 712 is OK but they tend to go "square" when you leave your car parked for a couple days. So when you drive off again the first 1 or 2 km the car will vibrate. After that they're OK.

Bridgestone makes really good tires. Not the cheapest but great quality and performance and road-hazard warranty. I'd look into the Potenza RE-950, it's an OK tire not too expensive and designed for touring / performance use. It has the special Bridgestone Uni-T (?) tread compound that keeps good wet-weather traction even when it's worn down.

Oh, and they have directional tread for heavy rain use

Last edited:
I just called FCP and they want 330$ for each Continental Conti Sport contact tire. This is strange since the price was 190$ for each this may.

How about the new Hankook K104, it replaces the Ventus Plus that all the SEDAN GT cars use at St. Eustache.

dont go by treadware alone anymore, the new rubber compounds can have treadwares above 200 and better performance than older tech 120. Look at the new S03, it replaced the S02 and it has a treadware of 200(or higher, cant remember). I had the Contis, great tires...as long as it doesnt rain.

Russianguy,

Call Howard at Talon Tire 514-337-0833 I think, they will recommend you the best product. After they recommended you the best product, call Chris at RMR and another aftermarket company to get a competitive quote.

Talon is usually a little more expensive but their advice is amazing, they really know what they are doing.

There is another one but I forget the name, they are the sponsor of rennsport (porsche club) and seem to be pretty good too.

Check with the experts

Rob

Originally posted by MontrealM3
Call Howard at Talon Tire 514-337-0833 ... Talon is usually a little more expensive but their advice is amazing, they really know what they are doing.
You can't go wrong going to Talon. If you have anxiety attacks going to dickhead tire places that scratch / damage your rims and can't balance properly, then do yourself a favor ... go to Talon.

A little more $$$, but compare it to a restaurant ... quality has a price (a Big Mac is only $1.49, how often do you eat at McDonald's?). How many tire shops tighten your lugnuts BY HAND with a torque wrench, then have a 2nd guy go over them again to re-check the tightness? AMAZING service.

Thanks for the advice...

I called talon and they were very professional and those guys are cool.

Today i got myself 2 Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s. I put them on the front, and put the front ones on the back so i could wear them out. The only think i don't like about kumhos is that they aren't as sexy looking as the Continental Conti Sport Contacts, but its just a matter of time before i get used to them.

Thanks for all your help guys.. i really appreciate it!

dont but kumho....

Go with Toyo or in my case pirellis, if you need tires i might be able to hook you up.

I have Kuhmo ECSTA Supra 712.

Very satisfied. They hold pretty well. Not expensive and not oo bad looking :)

The "squaring" thing never happened to me, even after letting the car sit for a week.

Yeah kumhos are pretty good. They perform nicely in rain too as I have experienced it last night during the downpour :)

Sorry yellowbimmer, we are not all sponsored by Pirelli to be getting a set of new tires each season :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back