G35 Coupe and Winter Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illusion8055

Anybody have experience with this issue? I'm slapping some winters on the 18's that come with my 2004 G35 coupe with Brembos, and I don't know whether to go staggered with 225R/45R18 front and 245/45R18 in the rear, or 225/45R18 all around.

Pros of Staggered: TCS and all stability control, AMB, etc tweaked to factory tire spec, staggering would keep it stock dimensions and not upset any of the systems

Cons: Inability to rotate tires, apparently some of the winter tires wear quickly and I wouldn't get more than 1 season out of the rears. Less options among brands and models of tires

Pros of Uniform: Ability to rotate; more options of tire model
Cons: Might upset the electronic systems that are calibrated for staggered tires.

The main dilemma is, to what extent will the balance get upset if I get uniform all around? Secondly, how much will they actually wear in, I know it depends on the compound in the tire, but which last longer. I've read Blizzaks wear thin quick.

As for tire options:
Blizzak LM-22 (staggered and uniform)
Blizzak LM-25 (uniform only [225/45])
Dunlop M3 (uniform only [245/45])
Yokohama Ice Guard IG721 (staggered or uniform)
Pirelli Wintersport 240 (staggered or uniform)

If anybody has any insight on this, it would be appreciated.

LM-22 on a 350z and my personnal feeling is bad. Really a sucky tire. BTW this car handle very bad in winter. Pirelli are not so good, so personnally I will forget this option.

I will go with this option -> Yokohama Ice Guard IG721

I havent had a problem with the blizzak Ws-50's, but then again i have 17 ince 215's all around without the brembo's

I have the cash to buy a G35 because I know how to manage my cash and make intelligent, informed decisions about my purchases.....

Anyways, the main concern was whether I would offbalance the car using 225/45 all around, or going with 225 up front and 245 in the back.

The Yokohama's are only Q rated.... sketch. The LM-22 are V rated, so thats an issue as well.

SkylineV35, did u put them on a 350Z or G35? If so, on the stock 18" rims or other? Spinelli is trying to push me to get 17" rims, which I don't want, and they are pushing Toyos. I know the Yoko's will last more than 1 season.

Illusion8055 said:
I have the cash to buy a G35 because I know how to manage my cash and make intelligent, informed decisions about my purchases.....

Anyways, the main concern was whether I would offbalance the car using 225/45 all around, or going with 225 up front and 245 in the back.

The Yokohama's are only Q rated.... sketch. The LM-22 are V rated, so thats an issue as well.

SkylineV35, did u put them on a 350Z or G35? If so, on the stock 18" rims or other? Spinelli is trying to push me to get 17" rims, which I don't want, and they are pushing Toyos. I know the Yoko's will last more than 1 season.

Any tire will last more than 1 season. And if you can fit 17" rim, what I'm not sure with the brembo, but if it's possible go for it. Less expensive tire and better for the winter. Also, don't buy tire at the dealer they are so expensive there generally.

Honnestly, LM-22 are not good.

godlucian said:
si ta le cash pour tacheter une g35 ta le cash pour te payer dse pneu a chaque annee

Méchante remarque intelligente ca. Lâche pas, tu vas y arriver.

Illusion8055 said:

G35 stock 18s over the brembos. I'm not sure about the offset, if you really need me to find out let me know.

This must be your lucky day. :D

I don't read the board too often these days, no time... But I spotted your thread.

I have a 350z, I went through the same situation as you last year. I was worried about the staggered vs. non staggered etc

The biggest advantage of having 225s all around is that the footprint in the rear is the same as the front so you will have less trouble cutting the snow = rear end less loose.

I opted for 4 x Yokohama Ice Guard IG721. Works very well. VDC and Traction Control works very well.

Don't go staggered, its not a good setup for winter.

does 17 Iinches rims fit ? I would suggest you to put 17" those 18 on MAGS years after years, your mags gonna get ****ed up... plus i'm pretty sure 4x 17' + rims = less then 4x18" + mount unmount season after season.

SkylineV35 said:
G35 stock 18s over the brembos. I'm not sure about the offset, if you really need me to find out let me know.

I'd appreciate that. I'm picking up the car tomorrow at 4, and I'm taking it straight to a tire shop, so I pretty much need to know today so I can make an appointment.

So it seems all peeps are pointing away from the LM-22. So it comes down to:

A friend of mine mentioned that I might not get the proper rim guard on the rear wheel with a 225 profile

Illusion8055 said:
I'd appreciate that. I'm picking up the car tomorrow at 4, and I'm taking it straight to a tire shop, so I pretty much need to know today so I can make an appointment.

So it seems all peeps are pointing away from the LM-22. So it comes down to:

A friend of mine mentioned that I might not get the proper rim guard on the rear wheel with a 225 profile

What is it that you need to know.

Just buy four 225/45s and have them slapped on the wheels. I recommend the Yokos, they have worked well for me on the Stock 350z 18s.

If you are interested in a second set of wheels, I have a set of G35 coupe 18s that are sitting in my garage that I am thinking of selling. You can buy those and throw your winters on them and keep your summer set clean. PM me if you are interested.

Sev

Hope its not to late..

245/45 in the rear 225/45 in the front. I can't really say whether or not its better this way, but its been working well for me.

I went with my stock wheels for the winter because there are already slightly curbed... I figure if I do enough damage to them this winter it will be a good excuse to get some 19s in the summer :D

Thanks to all for your help. I went with Yokohamas based on everybody bashing the LM-22's. Picked em up from Spinelli too.

Cheers!

Illusion8055 said:
I went 225/45R18 and 245/45R18 Yokohama IG

With wider tires in the rear than the front, your tail is going to want to come loose on the highway when there is a little snow because the rear is going to have to cut a wider track than the front....

But you didn't listen...

Some people learn the hard way.

SkylineV35 said:
Well if we both end up having problems we can just swap 2 tires :D

You won't have problems. Its just not the best setup for winter driving, especialy in a RWD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back