Testing the waters... : Spin Turn/Drift Knobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently learned how ridiculously easy it was to modify my e-brake handle into a "spin turn" knob, or "drift knob". If you don't already know about these, they basically cancel out the locking factor of the handbrake, so you don't have to keep your thumb on the button or worry about it staying locked when you don't want it to. When you want it locked, you simply pull the knob up when the handbrake is up and it functions normally.

spinturnknob.jpg

I might be making of these for sale on eBay but I figured I'd test out the demand first, so for a limited time I'll be offering these on MR for $10. Installation consists simply of unscrewing the factory button, removing the spring, and installing this knob. An OEM rear seat fold-down knob works in some cars, but IMO looks kind of ghetto. The cusco model works in toyota, mitsubishi, nissan, mazda. I'm pretty sure honda's work in the same way just different threads, I will confirm soon.

Just as reference, a cusco knob that does the same thing goes for $22 US plus shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7905904849&category=33703&sspagename=WD1V

PM me for more details.

Ready whenever you want. I forgot to mention, I have a large selection of materials to choose from such as aluminum, brass, polycarbonate (clear plastic), high quality delrin (tough, rigid plastic. White but dyeable), pvc, white nylon, grey abs. Can also do steel and stainless steel but will cost more.

Suicide knob :)
lets just say I get bored sometimes. boredom plus a machine shop in the basement means lots of "useful" parts.

SeriaLThriLLa said:
Suicide knob :)
lets just say I get bored sometimes. boredom plus a machine shop in the basement means lots of "useful" parts.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Cool !

Also forgot to mention, I can polish all the metals, or leave a "grain" finish on them. If you have some type of custom shape I can do that too, within reason and as long as its round. Knurling is also possible in 3 sizes, but for something like this it would be purely asthetic.

Hey, that's a picture in your tercel isn't it? what year is it...I have a 95 and would be preety interested in having one of these, exactly like yours, in aluminium....

RoAsT said:
Hey, that's a picture in your tercel isn't it? what year is it...I have a 95 and would be preety interested in having one of these, exactly like yours, in aluminium....

Mine's a 93, but I'm pretty sure it would still work. $10 and you can have one, or if you want, the EXACT one in my car :)

Since idle hands are tools for the devil, let's keep em' busy. How about subframe bushing, could you make some of those??? Or a 1 piece 240SX driveshaft??

Depending on the size of the bushing, I should be able to make one out of delrin. As for the driveshaft, I'm almost %100 sure that something like that is beyond the capacity of my lathe.

SeriaLThriLLa said:
I am proficient at several different types of welding, but at home the only operational equipment I have is a mig.

I ask because I wanted to perform some chassis strengthening on the under carriage. Welding on some stainless steel laminates to make the frame alot stronger and perhaps fabricate some fender brace. Not till the snow thaws though..but we could always do some R&D ahead of time :D

Right now my mig can only handle steel, because its set up for flux cored wire rather than conventional use with a shielding gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back