4.10 rear end on 8.8 Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.

351C

Can i put this without any troubles with a T-5 stock tranny?

My car is almost stock, with slick for darg racing.

:dunno:

No problems at all. You just have to buy a gear set that fits on the 8.8 fords. You can order them from ford racing or any other place that sells ford parts.

I'm also changing my gears this spring, not sure wether to go 3.73 or all out 4.10, but since I'm gonna be doing lots of casual driving with it, the 3.73 seems more tempting for my use.

Good luck with the project :bigup:

351C said:
Can i put this without any troubles with a T-5 stock tranny?

My car is almost stock, with slick for drag racing.

:dunno:

On Stang's as soon as slicks are installed and you start to hook lots of things need upgrading;)

Axles, T-5, trailing arm boxes, driveshaft, u-joints, etc are weak points when slicks are installed :(

tkm said:
On Stang's as soon as slicks are installed and you start to hook lots of things need upgrading;)

Axles, T-5, trailing arm boxes, driveshaft, u-joints, etc are weak points when slicks are installed :(
Any recommendations for lower budget work on a fox? This is my main concern holding me back from getting some slicks or at least some cheaters, since I'm not sure how much I am ready to spend to strengthen the underwork (I know it is necessary, especially on foxes :p, this is what is holding me back :( )

anyways, thanks for any tips

Well my situation is that i got cheater slick for drag racing, but all my car is stock
i'm wondering what would be the best between a 4,10 and 3,73 also.

but i've heard that a stock T-5 is WEAK with a 4,10. *banghead*

edit: got aftermarket control arm too. i'm removing the quadshock.

Welcome tires :D

351C said:
Well my situation is that i got cheater slick for drag racing, but all my car is stock
i'm wondering what would be the best between a 4,10 and 3,73 also.

but i've heard that a stock T-5 is WEAK with a 4,10. *banghead*

edit: got aftermarket control arm too. i'm removing the quadshock.

Welcome tires :D

A Trans doesn't know about what final drive you have;)

A T5 is weak period when slicks are installed and you start to hook.

4.10 with a 26" slick is good for 1/4 mile N/A
3.73 is better with a power added with 26" slick and all round driving gear even though its a 200 rpm dofference at the same speed between a 4.10 and 3.73.

If you have to use a T5 don't side step the clutch and don't ever power shift , be gentle and it should last a bit longer.

Live 5.0L @atime said:
Any recommendations for lower budget work on a fox? This is my main concern holding me back from getting some slicks or at least some cheaters, since I'm not sure how much I am ready to spend to strengthen the underwork (I know it is necessary, especially on foxes :p, this is what is holding me back :( )

anyways, thanks for any tips

Basically you need to establish a budget and buy the parts yo need slowly or save up until you have the money you need and then get all the stuff you need to solidify your car properly.

Don't rush into things do it right the fist time, yes the $$ is alot but in the long run it actually works out cheaper;)

I've tried it and know.

Good axles, c clip elimanator kit, a good posi unit, a diff girdle, a good trans, a good clutch, a good SFI approuved flywheel, a scattershield ( if you plan on draging every weekend), a driveshaft loop (a must when slicks are used), good u-joints (Spicer), good motormounts, good quality gears, renforce the lower and upper boxes that hold your upper and lower arms for the diff, Gt springs in the back and 4 cyl springs in the front ( Or Eibach drag launch springs), etc...

I know its alot of stuff but this will enable you to have a worry free time at the track over and over instead of a flatbed summer at the track and the repair bills over and over again.

67Continental said:
i am putting 4.10 in mine this spring. had the diff rebuilt with 2.73 in the fall, but it's not doing it for me.

Well if a 200mph car is what you want then 2.73 would do it for you (not to mention the HP needed for those speeds);)

For acceleration from a stop then 3.55 and more is the way to go.
4.10 and higher is for 1/4 acceleration;)

Hey Tom !

Let me just say that i truely enjoy reading your replies to questions .
Your wisdom and approch for safe modification is honest and unmatched :bigup:

I certainly wish that more people read between the lines and understand that it's not just about the price or gain of a single part, but in reality the preparation
and value of the whole combination that makes the real difference between satisfaction or frustration !!

Thanks for being here man :beer:

For the record ,allthough 4.10's is a very popular and still streetable upgrade ,
i'd prolly go a little less hard-core and order for a set of 3.73's in my next project 'stang .
They are simply the best bang for the buck imo , and possibly the first mod anybody should do for a real-world improuvement of acceleration .....

Agree with all your point silver7!

Considering i'm building a street/tack Five.0

i might be ok with the 4,10

and tkm, i dont use power shift :p i'll be ok thx!

tkm said:
Well if a 200mph car is what you want then 2.73 would do it for you (not to mention the HP needed for those speeds);)

For acceleration from a stop then 3.55 and more is the way to go.
4.10 and higher is for 1/4 acceleration;)

not at all interested in top end :) just acceleration. that is why I am making the change. I am aware of how gear ratios control and contribute to top speed / rate of accel ;)

67Continental said:
not at all interested in top end :) just acceleration. that is why I am making the change. I am aware of how gear ratios control and contribute to top speed / rate of accel ;)

Talking in general not just at you :bigup:

silver7 said:
Hey Tom !

Let me just say that i truely enjoy reading your replies to questions .
Your wisdom and approch for safe modification is honest and unmatched :bigup:

I certainly wish that more people read between the lines and understand that it's not just about the price or gain of a single part, but in reality the preparation
and value of the whole combination that makes the real difference between satisfaction or frustration !!

Thanks for being here man :beer:

For the record ,allthough 4.10's is a very popular and still streetable upgrade ,
i'd prolly go a little less hard-core and order for a set of 3.73's in my next project 'stang .
They are simply the best bang for the buck imo , and possibly the first mod anybody should do for a real-world improuvement of acceleration .....

Thank you very much Silver7, I too wish everyone would listen *tu*
You know what they say" You can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink"

As for 3.73 vs 4.10 its onlt a 200-300 rpm difference for the same speed;)

Example 60 mph with 3.73 1:1 is lets say 2500rpm then 4.10 at 60mph 1:1 would be 2800rpm;)

yes! Thanks a lot for the tips! I am obviously agreeing with you that all of this stuff is important so as to not have worries later on, but of course, money is always an issue...

My application is not so 'hardcore' as was previously said; I do intend to take her to the track now and then, and traction IS a priority, but not if that means spending so much money making a drag monster ready traction setup for a daily driver. So a compromise is in store likely...will be doing some research and likely be asking for more wise words in the near future :bigup:

Live 5.0L @atime said:
yes! Thanks a lot for the tips! I am obviously agreeing with you that all of this stuff is important so as to not have worries later on, but of course, money is always an issue...

My application is not so 'hardcore' as was previously said; I do intend to take her to the track now and then, and traction IS a priority, but not if that means spending so much money making a drag monster ready traction setup for a daily driver. So a compromise is in store likely...will be doing some research and likely be asking for more wise words in the near future :bigup:

Like I said earlier , wait until you have some money saved up and then you do all the mods.
Trust me if you don't do them you will spend your summer in the garage changing axles, trannies, and towing bills which I hate paying for;)
It actually works out to be more expensive when you total it up.
Not to mention the embarassment of breaking at the line or even worse breaking at the end and hitting a wall :(

Look I understand where your coming from I was young and ambishious too and tried cutting corners and still came to the same conclusion that building it right the first time saves you at least double the money in the long run not to mention the hassles and headaches;)

tkm said:
Like I said earlier , wait until you have some money saved up and then you do all the mods.
Trust me if you don't do them you will spend your summer in the garage changing axles, trannies, and towing bills which I hate paying for;)
It actually works out to be more expensive when you total it up.
Not to mention the embarassment of breaking at the line or even worse breaking at the end and hitting a wall :(

Look I understand where your coming from I was young and ambishious too and tried cutting corners and still came to the same conclusion that building it right the first time saves you at least double the money in the long run not to mention the hassles and headaches;)

For sure I will not cut any corners, as you say...last thing I want, obviously, is to cause damage to my baby, and as you said, maybe even have a more serious incident :(

I have enough money to make all of these upgrades without a problem, but like I said, the thing that is holding me back from doing them all right away is the fact that I don't want this to be purely a drag car, and would rather not spend money where it will not be used most efficiently. This simply meaning that, if I'm gonna drag once every few weeks, I would not need a setup that can run 10s and get me on two wheels till 1/8 mark :D (as much fun as that does sound :bigup: )

But just out of curiosity, that complete setup that you were talking about earlier, everything from axles to flywheel, would run how much? 3k? more? Also, I do not have the knowhow or equipment to install most of these myself, so I'd have to include labour, even if it is from a friend. *banghead*

Again, not wanting to cut corners, but first I am going to restore the car to a tip top shape, then work on its performance, but some things like gears I plan on installing asap. This is why I am seeing where to invest my cash first, and make sure I use all of the upgrades I make to the fullest on this daily driver + occasional drag enjoyment.

Thanks again for sharing ur wisdom guys :bigup:

with the mods That Tom mentioned your car will still be very streetrable they are mostly mods that will strengthen your drive line not take a wawy from its drivability at all, the only thing is that with softer springs you wont corner as well , but lets face it Fox body stangs were not built for that anyway,
I have 3.73 in a 4 speed automatic because i run Nitrous and its a great all around gear but if I was N/A I would definetly go 4.10, so you have to ask yourself if you want a power adder S/C or NOS or not?? that will play the biggest roll in what gear you select for optimum performance in your application.

I still have the stock 3.27 in my car and always liked them but would go with more if I was at the track more often. I get 1.90 60's with my old Nitto tires and lazy 3000 slip launch. I was getting 2.05 before the SC and running 13.8's at 100-103. That was with a lower RPM launch..about a 1500-1600. If I was to build a 5.0 from a stock car, and looking for the 1/4 only I'd get 4.10's for sure. As far as control arms...something with heim joints and bushin combo....not the cheap ones with supe hard bushings at both end or the solid ones. They both cause binding and tearing of the torque boxes. Maximum Motosport makes nice ones. SSM hook good but tear the crap out of everything and ride like crap too. You should be ok with the stock axles until you really add some power. Most broke axles I've seen have been in the 11 second cars. I blew my T-5 apart this year and then rebuilt it. But I powershifted it hard for awhile and alot of passes at the track. It was also used when I got it. I never went to far with my car since I wanted to keep it nice and clean and have the capability to go back to stock again if I wanted. Now I have it sold..and already starting to miss it!! It has not even left yet though!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back