spec v VS. SE-R

Status
Not open for further replies.

tegracer2g

Legacy Member
i'm very intrested in the Nissan SE-R And Spec V...what are the pro's and cons, what should i look at for...etc...i'm looking to buy in lets say april

npclub, theres to much french there please try to get me some serious info, i just requested a broschure from nissan, but i need info

6 speed manual, no 6 speed manual
Sports interior, no sports interior
10 more horsepower, no 10 more horsepower
etc etc...

i dont want yellow i want black...the spec v sounds really good, but 20g's for me is already pushin it, 1g more wont hurt i guess :) when the season starts again im 95% sure i'm going to get one

i want stick, 6speed :):)

if you dont like stick, than go for a diffrent model!! and get the sport package with the SE-R it will satisfy you!

IMO

I went from a Volks to Volks to Acura to Honda to Nissan.... The Spec V drives more like a Volksthan a Honda but thats not necessarily a bad thing. Its quick, torquier than my B16 or my B18 and smooth on acceleration. 6th gear is neat but considering where we live (no major open roads) its more of a perk than a necessity. I find it great bang for the buck. go with a Spec V. Myonly knock on the Spec V is the gearbox (too notchy and the throws are too long) but I think they addressed that for 2003. Think of that extra 1000$ as 20$ more a month on your payments. It hurts less to think of it that way.

pookie you have a very good point and you finalized my decision, thanks man. i'm gonna go with the Spev V in april or so...around my birthday :) its going to be a great gift to my-self, lol...anyway, thanks again...if you guys have any nice pics of The SPec V in the black, post them or send them to my PM

The Spec V is will worth it.

Think of these things :

HLSD (SE-R, open diff)
6 speed (not a necessity, but sweet)
17" wheels (compared to 16", can be good or bad)
Stiffer rear axle (acts like a bigger sway bar)
Front polyurethane bushings on the Spec V
Better dampers
WAY STIFFER SPRINGS (325lbs Front, 375lbs Rear, now try finding that on an Economy production car. Spec V only)
10 more hp.... (screw exhaust, its all in the ECU)

I guess thats about it. I cant remember the other things.

my buddy was about to buy one but the spec v killed him on insurance ! so he went with a se-r. Still the Spev is the best bang for the buck out there. I've been a VW guy for a while now. Just got a 97 Maxima and let me tell I love NISSAN ! SO well made ! now i want an SR20DET !!!!!!!

Last edited:
Originally posted by inner light
my buddy was about to buy one but the spec v killed him on insurance ! so he went with a se-r. Still the Spev is the best bang for the buck out there. I've been a VW guy for a while now. Just got a 97 Maxima and let me tell I love NISSAN ! SO well made ! now i want an SR20DET !!!!!!!
:(
how old is your friend?

he's 28 ! don't know his driving history but he doesn't seem to be a crazy driver or anything but who knows !! when he told me it was too expensive on insurance he didn't tell me how much tho

His record must be pretty messed up.

The Spec V in no way is an expensive car to insure.

Its a 4 door. Right there makes it cheaper then any coupe.

Hell, mine isnt a Spec V, but I was 23 when I got it, messed up record, for speeding, lost my license for not paying tickets, only got my license at 19 and lost it for 2 years between that and 23 years old.

I am fully inssured on my 2001 Sentra SE with FULL option packages. Costs me 1200$/year.

Last edited:
Originally posted by SpIcEz
His record must be pretty messed up.

The Spec V in no way is an expensive car to insure.

Its a 4 door. Right there makes it cheaper then any coupe.

Hell, mine isnt a Spec V, but I was 23 when I got it, messed up record, for speeding, lost my license for not paying tickets, only got my license at 19 and lost it for 2 years between that and 23 years old.

I am fully inssured on my 2001 Sentra SE with FULL option packages. Costs me 1200$/year.

Only $1200 a year...Jesus where do you get insured??...I'm 27 with one speeding ticket and two 100% not at fault accidents, I have a 98 civic DX and I'm paying $1500!!

Civic is the reason :)
honda and Acura, very expensive to insure.

Im insured by GCU or CGU, I forget :) I have a broker and he found me the best deal, all others where asking 2000$ about.

I also bought a SE with full sport package and I'm also paying 1200$ a year, BTW my insurance cie is WAWANESA.

Originally posted by needledlies

Only $1200 a year...Jesus where do you get insured??...I'm 27 with one speeding ticket and two 100% not at fault accidents, I have a 98 civic DX and I'm paying $1500!!

Before buying my new 98 SE-R, I looked at used 96 Civic Sis and they were more expensive to insure than my new more powerfull SE-R!

SpecV and SE-R are very underated cars on the insurance market.
1 - Pretty rare... 2 - 4 Doors

I almost went for one a few weeks ago, and it would've cost me 1100$ and less for a 2003 Spec V. My integra 97RS cost me 1300$, imagine!!! And by the way, I was quoted by Belair for the SE-R and SpecV. It also depends on your insurrer, some like new cars, some hate hondas other hates young driver, you should shop around for the best price :bigup:

An advice, if you're going for an SpecV or SE-R, do it early, because Nissan doesn't priviledge North America and will supply their cars to US first...:mad: If the car is not in the dealer's parking, you could be waiting up to 2 months!!! Do it early for the color choice too!

Anywayz, good luck in your new acquisition! Also, their price are not really negociable... (throwing in a rear wing is a DEAL for an SE-R)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back