FORM 4F, Courts of Justice Act

Status
Not open for further replies.

supra7276

from a very interesting source... (one everybody should read once...)

http://www.magma.ca/~fyst/

Trial date scheduled more than 8 months away
The first thing I want to bring your attention to is your trial date and the offence date. Is the trial date scheduled more than 8 months away from the offence date? If no, skip this paragraph. If yes, you should know that if you have already changed your trial date multiple times, you would have waived your right to be tried promptly. But if the trial date is scheduled more than 8 months away through no fault of your own, then your right to a prompt trial (Charter of Rights and Freedoms, or Charter) may have been violated.

At least 15 days before the trial, file a form called "Notice of Constitutional Question" or something similar (FORM 4F, Courts of Justice Act). The purpose of this form is to give notice to the Crown that you wish to dispute the charge using Charter arguments. After you file the form, wait for the trial. At trial, when you are asked to enter a plea, state that "I ask that the charge be stayed on the grounds that my right to a prompt trial as guaranteed by the Charter has been violated, through no fault of my own, and that this unreasonable and undue delay has caused my inability to prepare a full answer to the charge and my inability to recall the details in the alleged offence due to such delay, and that such delay has caused lots of anxiety and stress to me for the past months". After you said the above statement, the court should dismiss the charge.

Click here for a sample of the Notice of Constitutional Question form. Replace the red text and modify the facts to suit your particular case. Send it to the addresses listed at the bottom of the form.

this msged was posted by ronin in general ....... anybody know where to get the "Notice of Constitutional Question" form , do like any police stations have, or municipal courts?? or to get it , u have to go to the palais de justice?

FORM 4F
Courts of Justice Act
Notice of Constitutional Question
Regina

v.

(Last name of Defendant)

TAKE NOTICE THAT pursuant to the Ontario Courts of Justice Act, the defendant, (name of defendant), will make an application for:

Short leave to be granted for this application;
Relief under Section 24(1) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms on the following grounds:
a. That (his/her) rights under Section 11(b) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms have been violated.
AND FURTHER TAKE NOTICE THAT the matter is to be argued on (day), (date), at (time), at (address of court house).
AND FURTHER TAKE NOTICE THAT the material facts giving rise to the constitutional question are as follows:

The offence number is (offence number);
The date of the alleged offence is (offence date);
The date set for trial is (trial date);
The date the defendant requested complete disclosure is (date);
The defendant did not receive disclosure until trial date;
The defendant moved to stay the charge due to lack of disclosure, and was denied;
Another trial was set for (new trial date);
That the defendant has been prejudiced by the post charge delay in bringing this matter to hearing.
AND FURTHER TAKE NOTICE THAT the grounds for this constitutional question are as follows:
The Crown was given ample time to prepare for the disclosure;
That the Crown failed to provide disclosure for the defendant to prepare a full answer to the charge prior to trial;
That the trial is further delayed through no fault of the defendant's;
No reason was given by the Crown to explain the delay in preparing disclosure.
(Date)
(Name, address and telephone number of defendant or agent)
TO:
Provincial Prosecutor's Office
(copy address from ticket)

Ontario Court of Justice (if different from prosecutor's office)
(copy address from Notice of Trial)

The Attorney General of Ontario
Constitutional Law Branch
7th floor
720 Bay Street
Toronto, Ontario M5G 2K1
fax: (416) 326-4015

The Attorney General of Canada
Suite 3400, Exchange Tower
Box 36, First Canadian Place
Toronto, Ontario M5X 1K6
fax: (416) 973-3004

(or Justice Building
239 Wellington Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0H8
fax: (613) 954-1920 )

The exact differences I can't say what they are. But the basic principles of laws is pretty much the same. I thinks it's more of how they are applied that differs.

ex: Speeding is illegal everywhere in Canada (duh! ) but the fines and penalty you will get are not the same... btw they are spicier in Ontario... :thefinger

I'm no jurist btw... just a piss off person in a "Rage against the machine" :thefinger

u think its absolutely important to fill in this form , or if u go in court and state the paragraph mentionned b4 , its enough , cuz basically ur stating a law and they already have all the info about ur case.... ur basically saying the details u cant remember cuz the delay was unreasonably long ........
and i don tknow if uve heard of the 14 months rule ....

After reading all the buzz lately about tickets being thrown out of court due to many months passing before having a trial I decided to look into the matter myself. Im actually due to fight a ticket in court and its been almost 10 months since the infraction. Im sorry to say guys that I read the QUEBEC charter of rights and nowhere does it say anything about having a trial promptly. Maybe I overlooked something. check it out.

http://www.qesnrecit.qc.ca/socialsciences/cycles45/citizen/rights/qcrights.htm

Mk1GTIt said:
After reading all the buzz lately about tickets being thrown out of court due to many months passing before having a trial I decided to look into the matter myself. Im actually due to fight a ticket in court and its been almost 10 months since the infraction. Im sorry to say guys that I read the QUEBEC charter of rights and nowhere does it say anything about having a trial promptly. Maybe I overlooked something. check it out.

http://www.qesnrecit.qc.ca/socialsciences/cycles45/citizen/rights/qcrights.htm

the thing is a friend of a friend consulted a lawyer when he had to go to court , and the lawyer used the law that if its more than 14 months , its unreasonable delay ..... it is always recommendable to get a lawyer in cases that is kinda hard to defend urself, the one he hired, cost like 80 bucks or somethin , its better than nothing , if u lose its ticket, plus court charges ....... but i know that he got away with it cuz it was more than 14 months ........ im trying to get more details bout it ...

This form does not apply to Quebec.

Ce formulaire ne s'applique pas au Québec.

Le droit à un procès en temps équitable existe au Québec aussi, c'est la Charte Canadienne des droits et libertés qui s'applique à toutes les provinces qui donne ce droit. Toutefois, son application au Québec est différente.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back