Have Laser guns received judicial notice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glass

All the threads I've seen lately about how you can throw a ticket out of court if your court date is 8 months away from the date of the infraction. I was reading up on information in these threads and I came across this.

When something has received judicial notice, the evidence it tendered will be admitted by the court. Of course there is a condition placed on radar units that although in general radar has been accepted, the burden is still on the prosecution to prove that in each case, the radar unit in question was tested and operated properly by a trained police officer. Now laser is something entirely new. Unless some expert witness has already proved to a court that laser guns can be used to measure speed accurately, laser still has not received judicial notice. Which means, if its evidence is challenged, it cannot be admitted. Laser is a just a beam of light. Using a beam of light (like a flashlight) to measure speed is not something the courts can take for granted. In Ontario, most laser based speeding cases have not been aggressively challenged, and judges just take the word from the cops that laser works. To prove that laser really works, the Crown has to subpoena an expert witness, usually someone from the laser gun manufacturer, to testify in court. Now the manufacturers are reluctant to do that because this would reveal their patented technology to others.

I got a ticket for going 91 in a 50 *td* I asked the officer to see the gun he used and he showed me his laser gun that got me at 91. Is it possible for me to get this thrown out of court if the laser gun hasn't recieved judicial notice?

I hope it is the same in Quebec :dunno: Do you know if that law is non existant in Quebec? Is there a Quebec equivilant of this information somewhere on the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back