cut springs... how bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGTUFFGUY

ok, heres my story. i was washing my car and i found a peice of metal in the shape of the letter "C"
its from my front passenger side.

im going to buy some proper lowering srpings once the snow leaves.

now my car pulls to the left a bit, im not going to buy 1 spring, so i was thinking of cutting mine for now.
the broken spring dropped the car about an inch. MAYBE 1.5

what should i do?

^explain?
i know its not as safe but what im wondering is it safer than a car that pulls to the left?

and i will be buying lowering springs so im just looking for a short term solution

cut half a ring
not a full coil

you have like 20 + rings on most front coils
cutting one is not as dangerous as people think

cutting 4-5 is when it's A : super ghetto and B : super dangerous

It's not a problem. Cut the other side to match the one that's broken, it's a lot better to do that that drive with an uneven setup.

Once you're there though, while you have everything apart, why don't you just install some aftermarket springs right away? Last time I checked there hasn't really been a foot of snow in the streets... even during the last storm...

Pascal said:
It's not a problem. Cut the other side to match the one that's broken, it's a lot better to do that that drive with an uneven setup.

Once you're there though, while you have everything apart, why don't you just install some aftermarket springs right away? Last time I checked there hasn't really been a foot of snow in the streets... even during the last storm...

What he said.:)

Or just buy a used one for a few $.

There's a gigantically lame thread about this currently going on in the Tech forum.

Yeah, it's ghetto but it's not as dangerous as some people would lead you to believe, either.

In the same topic I have aftermarket springs on, the front is low enough but the back could use .5 inch, would it be that bad to cut the dead link off to give me that 0.5inch drop extra ??

Ridin LO said:
In the same topic I have aftermarket springs on, the front is low enough but the back could use .5 inch, would it be that bad to cut the dead link off to give me that 0.5inch drop extra ??

YOU CAN CUT WHATEVER SPRING YOU HAVE
IT'S NOT horrble, just ghetto *banghead*

I was watching an episode of overhauling on TLC 2 or 3 weeks ago and I saw the guys cut the springs on the car they we're working on because the suspension was not fitting like they wanted to. My gues if these guys do it, it should be OK. :dunno:

95EXRv6 said:
edited my post - you can
for sure
be smart about the cut
I plan on simply cutting the dead link, something really small. I just don`t see the point on replacing the entire setup for only .5inch
thanks for the tip

I once had half-circle (basicly a C like u) that broke on one of my spring, i drove the car for a good 2 months since my springs were back order.

Personally i would go at the scrap yard get a new one useally you can have a full shock for about 50$. Personally i didn't notice since my shock were finish i thought at begining it might be that so....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back