2002-2005 Impreza owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracK

Legacy Member
I was contemplating between 2005 2.5RS and 2003 WRX.

I'd rather have a new car with longer warranty. I wont be doing many modifications except for suspension and handling upgrades. In this case the 2.5 would be a better decision for me.

Just wanted to know if there are any options I should get or avoid.
Any common reliability issues or recalls that I should know?
How many kms (per tank) do you really get with the 2.5RS?
Approx. insurance prices to get an idea (called few places and got MANY different quotes)
Every where I check I get different information :(

Thanks. Cant wait to own a Scooby!!

Well if you are looking at a WRX, check the tranny out very carefully, the pre cat also tends to break up and all the pieces go through the turbo so it should be taken out and they do have clutch problems. Other than that no other problems. These problems will not be a factor for a 2.5RS though.

WhiteZomby said:
Well if you are looking at a WRX, check the tranny out very carefully, the pre cat also tends to break up and all the pieces go through the turbo so it should be taken out and they do have clutch problems. Other than that no other problems. These problems will not be a factor for a 2.5RS though.

WhiteZombie seems to know is stuff :bigup: about Subaru for the
insurance check there for the WRX
http://www.montrealracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167560 :p

WhiteZomby said:

I ruled out the WRX, insurance too high and dont want to pay for maintenence (expired warranty) especially a car that was driven hard (unless you know any old ladies selling thier WRX) I dont care too much about HP, only reliability, handling and comfort. Is gas consumption really that bad, even the 2.5?

if you need some info about the 2.5 rs, pm me. i'm selling subaru and they are really nice!! if you want to test drive one, just give me a call. i have some demos left. 2005 and 2004. i also have a deal for a brand new 2004 wrx, very cheap for that car! :D

TracK said:
I ruled out the WRX, insurance too high and dont want to pay for maintenence (expired warranty) especially a car that was driven hard (unless you know any old ladies selling thier WRX) I dont care too much about HP, only reliability, handling and comfort. Is gas consumption really that bad, even the 2.5?

You can expect around 400-450 in the city with 50l if you have an heavy foot. The milage can go dramatically down if you go for some drifting session in the winter. On the highway the consumption is suprising i have done over 600k. If you are gonna do a some handling mod just get the baseline RS. The sport package is not worth it. By the way the sound system sucks ass. Comfort is great the seats offer a lot of support and the heating and A/C systems are really good. Realibity wise it is really reliable except for the battery that is shit and common head gasket problem. Mine as 60k and I only change a oil pressure sensor under warranty.

The sport package doesnt really interest me usless I opt for a demo.
The crappy sound im aware, so I will install my own speakers and unit.
The seats I was very impressed with. 600km is pretty good for highway, to many ppl exagerate with bad mileage saying its so bad on gas. bahh.

Thanks again.

Blue Neon ill give you a call :bigup:

You will see its a great city car, you will love the low-end torque, you dont have to change gear to often you can go in 5th gears at 65km/h and the car will still pull. At woot under 90 km/h (1st and 2nd gears) the car feels really fast but past that it feels slow. But it will get you to 160 in a decent amount of time but after that takes forever to reach the top speed. With the awd you wont believe how fast you can take a turn from a stop.

Well if you ruled out the WRX, then the 2.5 RS is a great car, just less power but it will also be alot better on gas milage. I was not getting really good milage with my WRX but I did not buy it for that. An AWD car will always take more gas than a standard front wheel drive car so yes the milage is not as good as other 4 cyl jap cars but it's till not that bad. All the rest as already been said and I agree with everything.

TracK said:
600km is pretty good for highway, to many ppl exagerate with bad mileage saying its so bad on gas. bahh.

Thanks again.

Blue Neon ill give you a call :bigup:
I knew the car was bad on gas and I didnt really care when I bought the car (WRX 04) but the thing is RIDICULOUS ... maybe I have a heavy foot... but it honesly drinks double what my vr6 was taking..

I average between 260-300 city driving on a full tank (approx 50$ of 94) and on the highway my record is 398!!

It's a gas guzzler! I still love it tho, heh

weird i have 2005 WRX and i can do 430 km of city/highway milage ???? When i step on it it goes down to 389/400 k's on 91 octane ??? By the way blueneon is the best sell's rep. :bigup: go see him he's a cool guy *tu* !

ProTg94DX said:
weird i have 2005 WRX and i can do 430 km of city/highway milage ???? When i step on it it goes down to 389/400 k's on 91 octane ??? By the way blueneon is the best sell's rep. :bigup: go see him he's a cool guy *tu* !
I'm not sure.. but could I be getting less mileage cuz I use 94 octane? Maybe I have a really heavy foot afterall.. The guy at the garage couldn't believe how worn out were my pads (they were completly finished) after only 28 000km. He said I was suppose to do around 40 000 km with them.

Jon833 said:
I'm not sure.. but could I be getting less mileage cuz I use 94 octane? Maybe I have a really heavy foot afterall.. The guy at the garage couldn't believe how worn out were my pads (they were completly finished) after only 28 000km. He said I was suppose to do around 40 000 km with them.

:bigup: Probably the heavy foot ... cuz the octane doesn't change anything in gas mileage you put whats recommended in your guide or 94 if heavy mods r on *tu* . Still love the car Jo !

I guess there is alot of factors (drivetrain, weight, 2.5 turbo, maybe the design of the boxer engine is just bad on gas??, etc...)

If I can get 600km with an RS then i'm happy. Heavy foot is definetly a factor, with my Saab I manage to get to Toronto with a full tank (so about 600kms) when I drive hard I get very bad mileage.

Gas consumption isnt such a big deal anyway, but STi consumption would really bother me...Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back