Reliability issues with Subies

Status
Not open for further replies.

MA_99Teg

Just curious, what kinda reliability do the subaru's have. Most of the people i know who've had subies all got them stolen, so they must be great, but what kinda problems do they normally have after time?? (besides typical wear and tear) Do they have common flaws...Mostly talking about the 2.5rs, but must be the same for all

MA_99Teg said:
Just curious, what kinda reliability do the subaru's have. Most of the people i know who've had subies all got them stolen, so they must be great, but what kinda problems do they normally have after time?? (besides typical wear and tear) Do they have common flaws...Mostly talking about the 2.5rs, but must be the same for all

Seriously except for the EJ25 problem there is the transmission on the WRX that is not made tu support the AWD with boost but a normal user will most likely never encounter that problem. Except for that there is no common flaw. They are rough in the winter. Look around and you will see tons of subaru Loyale and old legacy running around. They are really reliable, as expected of a Japanese car.

the problem with wrx's isn't the tranny... it's honda boys gettin in and slapping the clutch at 6500 rpm... oh.... and by the way... these things weren't made to do burnouts...

My girlfriend has a 2002 TS and let me tell you, I wouldn't want to own it. The gas mileage sucks(I understand why, but it still sucks) and the Block had to be changed at 50000km because of clearance issues. These things tick heavily. Apparently Subaru only considers it bad if it last longer than eight minutes.

Let see, what else.
The battery died (less than a year old)
The timing belt tensioner died
the first oxygen sensor went

At 165hp(automatic), it really lacks power. The heavy drivetrain keeps you from getting tickets. :D

NorthernVW said:
My girlfriend has a 2002 TS and let me tell you, I wouldn't want to own it. The gas mileage sucks(I understand why, but it still sucks) and the Block had to be changed at 50000km because of clearance issues. These things tick heavily. Apparently Subaru only considers it bad if it last longer than eight minutes.

Let see, what else.

At 165hp(automatic), it really lacks power. The heavy drivetrain keeps you from getting tickets. :D

I have TS2002 and it has no problem...sure I changed the battery (on waranty) but then again what do you expect when they ship you a 400 amps stock battery? :rolleyes: I had a few check engines but nothing serious, no parts to change just a computer reflash was needed. Gas, aint that bad...I'm able to pull 550km (highway) on one tank in the summer....for a 2.5L AWD it's not bad.

Compared to my brother's Audi A4 or any f***ing VW these are minor problems.

165HP is kinda low at times but the manual transmission is a lot better...

The Subaru Boxer type engines, yeah they sound funny (specially when it's really cold) but they are the most reliable on the market...in my book anyway (just look at the Loyale's and Justy's on the road)

Compared to my brother's Audi A4 or any f***ing VW these are minor problems.

165HP is kinda low at times but the manual transmission is a lot better...

I wasn't trying to compare Subaru's to Vw's. I don't think that was the intension of the post.

However, My Golf is at the dealer less than the Subaru.

Try to keep on track(Subaru's are good at that)

I'm sorry if I mislead this discussion...my intention was to give the other side of the medal...lemons are possible for any models. And about the VW attack, I simply hate these cars, nothing personal to you. If yours runs well then your lucky, that's my point of view...

Now in the interest of this forum, I think the guy who started this post was asking if Subies are reliable, and the only thing I would respond is pick up the news paper or hebdo.net and try searching for Subarus for sale...you will see, there not many for sale! And resell value is very good. That speeks for itself. :D

cheers....

NorthernVW said:

Let see, what else.

Youre the one that should keep on track.

Your the first person that I hear that really have problem with is TS. But again as I said earlier the 2.5L as a flaw but its still kindda a rare that it brake. What do you neab by clearabce issue

Now gaz Mileage as nothing to do with realibility issue, 2.5l with full time AWD I dont know to what you compare it but when you buy a Impreza you cannot expect its gonna consume like a 1.8l fwd like most compacts.

The battery again I don't know if it a realibility issue, but its plain and simple the battery is crap, If we were in California we wouldnt have this discussion. I have a block heater and my battery on the third year still works ok, but just change it.

Now for the power again what is the link to the question??? not a realibilty issue she should not have took it automatic, but you would still be in front of any automatic protege, civic, sentra, golf, corolla, focus ect (not talking about SE-R, mazdaspeed, GTI). having 165 hp in a AWD its like 145hp in a fwd with perfect launch.

So basically Your answer on the general question of Subaru realibity is that your Girlfriend Impreza had to change the 2.5l, had to change an O2 sensor, and to change the belt tensioner all under wanrantie. Thats how you keep on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back