Illegal liscence plate? What to do in court?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kacey

www.handlerwheels.com
Hi,

Last fall I was pulled over on St-Charles Boulevard heading north by an cop because I had a European plate underneath my Quebec plate. He told me this was illegal as it could confuse people. He told me to follow him to the station to remove it, but i had the tools on me so I took it off on the spot. I had seen a number of cars with a euro plate beneath the QC plate and thought it was fine as i was not blocking the QC plate.

He confiscated the plate and gave me a ticket for 321$ under HSC 34,57 (by attatching on a road vehicle a plate that may be confused with a regerstrationplate issued by the societe or another authority.)

Shouldt i have gotten a warning, especially because i removed it on the spot and i wasnt blocking the plate in any way whatsoever!

Thank you VERY much.

Here are some pics of what it looked like:

DSC01774.jpg

DSC01772.jpg

Here's the article the officer arrested you for:

34. Aucune plaque ou vignette qui peut être confondue avec une plaque d'immatriculation ou une vignette de contrôle délivrée par la Société ou par une autre autorité administrative compétente ne peut être fixée sur un véhicule routier ou apposée sur une plaque, sauf s'il s'agit d'une plaque ou d'une vignette requise en vertu d'une autre loi en vigueur au Québec ou d'une plaque fixée conformément aux normes et aux conditions établies en vertu du paragraphe 19° de l'article 618.

1986, c. 91, a. 34; 1990, c. 19, a. 11; 1990, c. 83, a. 15.

Source: http://www2.publicationsduquebec.go.../telecharge.php?type=3&file=/C_24_2/C24_2.htm

Clearly states you cannot put any plate that can be consufed with a license plate on a vehicule. This means you cannot put your euro plate even on the front of your car, that is by the book.

Thank you,

However police do not harass for the plate in the front. I'd liike at least a reduced ticket or something. 321$ is excessive especially since i removed it on the spot.

Well, now you need to know if there is a standard on giving out warnings before a real ticket. Because now, technically you are accountable for the ticket..

If it's left to the officer to decide, that I don't know. But it would be very good to know for all of us.. I'll look on Google.. who knows!

Est-ce que tu es propriétaire du véhicule ? Si oui, tu peux essayer de prouver que la plaque que tu as installée ne pouvait être confondue avec une plaque délivrée par la SAAQ, comme le précise l'article 34 CSR. Ce n'est pas évident à faire mais tu peux t'essayer, puisque la plaque que tu as installée en dessous n'a même pas les mêmes dimensions que celles délivrées par la SAAQ. Moi je l'essaierais, mais je ne te garantis pas que ça va marcher. Tiens-nous au courant de tes démarches :bigup:

v70Rsik said:
Thank you,

However police do not harass for the plate in the front. I'd liike at least a reduced ticket or something. 321$ is excessive especially since i removed it on the spot.

since when are cops allowed to confiscate non illegal property? and yes 321$ is a lil much for a stupid plate

I have not other comment, then he is right, it's confusing.
On top of that, it's ugly..
Good luck!

chaosExpanding said:
Est-ce que tu es propriétaire du véhicule ? Si oui, tu peux essayer de prouver que la plaque que tu as installée ne pouvait être confondue avec une plaque délivrée par la SAAQ, comme le précise l'article 34 CSR. Ce n'est pas évident à faire mais tu peux t'essayer, puisque la plaque que tu as installée en dessous n'a même pas les mêmes dimensions que celles délivrées par la SAAQ. Moi je l'essaierais, mais je ne te garantis pas que ça va marcher. Tiens-nous au courant de tes démarches :bigup:

Right on :bigup:

chaosExpanding said:

Merci Beaucoup. Je n'ai encore pas recu la date pour aller en cours..alors ca devrait un petit boute. Merci

Im going to court on thursday night! Thank you all very much for the help...this is a very old post and was wondering if anyone had a fresh idea or went to court for someting similar.

Thanks!

Bring pictures, show that the font of the euro plate is really different, the color of the font is different, that the dimensions are different and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back