Can I Swap an Engine with More Cylinders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soopacharged

Legacy Member
I heard somewhere that a car the originally came with x cylinders must remain a x cylinder car. For example putting an RB25DET into a 240SX. Any truth to this?

Look in the SAAQ's new what you can or cannot do on a car. I remember it's in there.
Sorry I don't have the link in mind, www.saaq.qc.ca , bottom right is the banner..
Plus there's a sticky in this section! :)

Soopacharged said:
I heard somewhere that a car the originally came with x cylinders must remain a x cylinder car. For example putting an RB25DET into a 240SX. Any truth to this?

lollll most of the police officer have no clue
of what an RB25DET looks like ... and believe me , i know what im talking about , i runned mine for 5 months and none of them ever said anything about it.... except one who was off duty and lives near my house i smoked the guy in his 5.0L , but reallllly smoked him ... the guy asked me what i had in my car and went like .... :eek: WTF we can have these engines here ???

so maybe if you have a VW swapped with a VR6 or civic with a accord V6 ... but otherwise i dont think they know enough about these !!

Well it's easy now.. you can fool them by installing every badges.. and shiz.. and then you report to your insurance.. and then you're kinda clean.. but the SAAQ might not like it too muhc.. since they have the VIN.. ? :/

Yes you are allowed to swap an engine with more cylinders, an engine with more power, a different make of engine, etc. There is no actual law on this. It's in general a question of safety.

How was the job done? (Cutting a frame is a major NO-NO!) You will need to pass inspection.
Also, remember that for your own safety to install other major mechanical parts that comes from the engine doner car. For example you swap out a 1.8 from a VW to put in a VR6. It is important to change it's suspension due to the weight difference and brakes also. A police officer that has doubt can send your vehicle to inspection. It's impossible for him to inspect the vehicle on site, also he is not qualified to do so.

When swaping engines also make sure of where the engine came from. It's not time for you to end up with a stolen engine... You can have your car siezed and be charged of being in posession of a stolen item...

From what I understand you have to notify the SAAQ if there's a change in Cylinders from your previously reported engine. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't confirm, but it's true that they started writing on the cars registration the number of cylinders that the car is supposed to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back