about the state of the roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Legacy Member
I have travelled a lot... and I mean a lot

And in all my travels I have never seen such disastrous state of roads such as in Quebec. Not even in thrid world countries. Not even in eastern europe. And honestly it seems it's getting worse.... It's a war zone. I drive a freaking SUV in winter and I still feel sorry for the abuse my suspensions, tires, wheels and whole car have to endure.

What rights do drivers/citizens have in regard to damages, accidents/whatnot caused by the craters, ridges and canyons that dot the roads?

Is it really none?

Not much rights ;)
You have to prove that the Ministère des transports was negligent in maintaining the roads, which is a hard task. It can be done, but it's hard.

What we do if someone gets into an "accident" with a pothole is an accident report that the driver has a decision to make to call their insurance or not. Usually people dont even bother. It will cost less to repair damages to their vehicle than to make a claim. Municipalities will not claim responsability for potholes.

chaosExpanding said:
Not much rights ;)
You have to prove that the Ministère des transports was negligent in maintaining the roads, which is a hard task. It can be done, but it's hard.

You need to define "negligent".

To me, a 1 foot deep, 20ft square pothole is extreme negligence. I have a very hard time understanding the logic behind the ministere des transport position. THe US, Europe, Asia all have programs for the protection of "road" victims in these circumstances. Here, basically the answer from the ministere is; play slalom and dodge the hazards, or get a shovel and fix them yourself.

I'm not argueing with you as I understand this is not of your pertinence. But I really find this rediculous. The weather, salt, ice excuse is laughable. How can the ministere des transport or municipalities not be held responsible? Under what argument/clause?

I know what you're saying. The roads here are hell, and I don't know why they won't fix them.

Can't we have pictures taken, showing the location of the pothole, and density of traffic at the time of the accident, and then come to court and say.. "we couldn't go around the pothole because of traffic, and your guys did not fix that pothole, but fix smaller ones in a no-name street 50 km away from downtown" ?

mazdafreak said:
I know what you're saying. The roads here are hell, and I don't know why they won't fix them.

Ironically... half an hour after making this post I was on chomedey and they were patching up the potholes. (kind of a temporary piss-poor job, but still better than nothing).

Let's hope things get better.

godlucian said:
il devrait y avoir des greves, pendant une journée PERSONNE ne prend son auto sauf pour urgence.
Peu etre que le fait que dse millions de personnes naille pas travailler fera réfléchir le gouvernement

Pense pas que ca marcherais , desoler je perderas mon emploie pour prouver un point. Une mesure devrais etre prise pour ca mais je pense pas que pas prendre nos voiture aiderais. Moi ai lieu je me coucherais ou debout toute la journee dans un nid de poule si tout le monde ferais ( 1 personne par troue ca serais bon)

I was driving a Pathfinder Armada today, basically the biggest thing in the world. I was taking the St Jean Babtiste exit on the 40 east, and I usually have to avoid 500 pot holes. This time I decided to hit everyone I could, thinking my Armada would eat them for breakfast. 99% of them were find, but then I hit a pot hole big enough to swallow an elephant whole, and even the Armada was tamed by it.

We have to face it; we'll never have nice roads like the rest of the world. We don't pay enough taxes I guess. *td*

The government says it's weather. My ass! The weather does not stop at the US borbner with northern NY and VT. Nor does it stop at the Ontario border. Next time you drive to Ontario, look at the highway. There is a line where it becomes the 401, nice and smooth.

I guess their only defense is that they'll want you to proove that the damage was done by the pot hole and not the driver hitting the sidewalk or being negligent towards his vehicule in order to get a new suspension...I hope you know where I'm going with this.Plus with all the modified (lower) suspensions out there they can argue by saying your car is modified and thats why it couldn't handle the hole.I'm not defending them but I always like to get an idea of what their defense might be.

mazdafreak said:

Answer is easy.

We have l'assurance maladie for everyone. All the world is watching our health system with envy. Health takes 55% of ALL THE BUDGET of the government. Roads are extremely expensive, and people have voted for health among all other priorities.

What's better, your health or your car?

meme si ils reparent les trous sa sert a RIEN !!!!!
avez vous deja vu comment il reparent ca???????? *banghead* *banghead* *banghead*
jetais a la fenetre a ma job qui donne sur la rue DeMaisonneuve, jvois un pickup de la ville de Montreal qui arrete devant un nid de poule, 3 gars sortent du truck, prennent une pelle chacun et yen a un qui met de lasphalte par terre et les 2 autre tape dessus avec leur peles. en moins de une minute ils sont reparti!!! *banghead*
yavais de leau dans le trou!!!! sa va geler, gonfler, briser, et BAM le trou est la.
jaurais du filmer sa. et si je F*CK mon char a cause dun trou jaurais eu la preuve que sa cest DE LA NEGLIGENCE. :squintfin

Carbon_Blue_GT said:
Answer is easy.

We have l'assurance maladie for everyone. All the world is watching our health system with envy. Health takes 55% of ALL THE BUDGET of the government. Roads are extremely expensive, and people have voted for health among all other priorities.

Italy and sweden(or norway) both have total medicare coverage(even pharmaceuticals) yet their roads are perfectly fine. And fiscal pressure is almost the same as Quebec.

Carbon_Blue_GT said:
Answer is easy.

My family would still pay for my healthcare, so I vote for my car! :D

Corruption is the answer, on all major levels of government. Abuse of power and privilege, wastefulness in a social democracy but no "single" person is accountable for their actions.
Too many unions driving up operating costs, protecting public jobs are could easily be contracted out to save the taxpayers money. Trying to save menial jobs that pay 3x would a private sector employee because its a shelter for incompetent workers who would otherwise be fired would it in the private sector.

Tex said:
Italy and sweden(or norway) both have total medicare coverage(even pharmaceuticals) yet their roads are perfectly fine. And fiscal pressure is almost the same as Quebec.

Actually, taxation is WORST there: social charges, tax, sales tax, etc.!!

I didn't say it was better, I said it was almost the same or comparable if you prefer. Direct fiscal pressure in Italy is ~42% (not exactly sure about quebec, but it's more than 45%), there are lot's more indirect taxes in Italy, but overall, I wouldn't say it's much WORSE than Quebec.

Sweden I think is a little worse. But again, not by THAT huge amount.

Last edited:

Drive downtown. Its Live, Active Proof. Can't we take a petition to the city, or something like that to force them to fix the roads?? Or at least have them lean on the shoulders of the government?? We pay 70% Tax on our gas... (Don't let that stupid sticker on the pumps fool you otherwise... Yea its 43% straight tax, but the refining costs, etc are taxed also)... The gas is more expensive in Quebec than anywhere else, yet we still have the crapiest roads.

I think we should take those large construction cones (about 3ft in diameter) and stick them in all the potholes around the city... most of the cones will fit inside the pot hole. You would look down the street and there would be cones everywhere it would make a 3 lane road a 1 lane, 1 direction road course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back