Hit and run question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicarlo

I was driving a snowtractor 2 snowfall's ago. I was coming back from fueling up my tractor at Ultramar on st-charles with another driver. This was the day it was extremly slippery on st-charles that they had to call the police to get people to slow down before coming to the red light at pierrefonds blv.

Anywho, i was driving down st-charles and i was following two other snowtractor from a different company of mine. I was keeping a safe distance from the tractor infront of me. I was on the fast lane and the tractor in front of me went on the fourth lane ( the lane you use if you want to turn left ). Anyway, i was still on the fast lane and was about to pass him when suddently he started to turn to do a U turn and while doing this his snowblower came into my lane and i just tipped it with my tire which spin his tractor around and pushed me into the middle lane. I checked in my mirror and i saw a few cars coming being me pretty quickly and trying to stop. In order not to cause anymore accidents i went back slowly on the fast lane which a big moving truck stopped for me. After the moving truck left about 30 seconds later i came back in view with the driver of the other tractor. By this time i was stopped and was radioing in to dispatch of what just had happen. I got the other driver from my company who was falling me abit further back to come being me and put his flasher on. The other driver of the other company was looking at me and started to take off slowly. I had a flat tire so dispatch told me to drive slowly back to the yard which was about 500 feet away. I took note of which company it was and told dispatch of it so they would call the company up and exchange business insure or whatever it is they have to do. I went to the yard and jumped into another tractor and took off to start my run. About 10 min's after i got a call on my cell telling my to come back to the yard because there was 2 police officers waiting for me. When i arrived they were very nice with me and asked if i got into an accident. I was very honest with them and they filled in a report and told me that the other company filled a complaint saying i did a hit and run. My questions is how can i do a hit and run if i have a flat tire and when the other guy from the other company didnt even attemp to stop and get out of his tractor ?

The police officer said that i would have an inspector call me and that i would most likely lose my licenses or 3 points.

The officer told me to try to contest it as he understood my point of view. What are my chances of winning in court and is there a way that i can get the other company to drop the complaint ?

It's illegal to leave the scene of an accident in which you are involved.
However, case law has established a few valid defences which could help you out. Namely, there is a case where someone operating a snowplow during a snowstorm that left the scene of an accident because it was dangerous for him to stay there. Contact me via PM if you and your Company want more info.

it was the other guy who left first, and you gave dispatch the name of the company. it doesn't have to mean you lose any points.

they probably showed the cops another tractor that had been in an accident, and told them it was your fault. they're supposed to check the validity of both stories before taking any action.

a few years back my mom bumped some crazy lady at very low speed. they looked at the cars, no damage, they left. next day, cops show up, there was an accident, hit and run $2500 damage.my mom showed them the car. not a scratch on it, the dirt didn't come off even. never heard from them again.

somone hit me a wile back and when i called th police they asked if anyone was hurt i told them no they then told me to call my insurance.

the other snow company i hit is or #1 competetor so i think they just wanted to try to get one driver out for the snowfall

I think in your case you have a witness - the driver from your company that was behind you can clearly say that it was you there and noone else (if the other guy drove off before he showed up)

CELUI EST UNE QUESTION, PAS UNE OPINION JURIDIQUE

Est-ce que l'autre chayffeur avait droit de faire un U-turn? pcq je ne vois pas comment il pourrait porter plainte pour hit & run s'il y a commis une infraction...est-ce que ça serait défendable en cour (ds la mesure où la manoeuvre était illégale) de plaider que l'accident a été causé par l'infraction de l'autre conducteur?

louich said:
CELUI EST UNE QUESTION, PAS UNE OPINION JURIDIQUE

Est-ce que l'autre chayffeur avait droit de faire un U-turn? pcq je ne vois pas comment il pourrait porter plainte pour hit & run s'il y a commis une infraction...est-ce que ça serait défendable en cour (ds la mesure où la manoeuvre était illégale) de plaider que l'accident a été causé par l'infraction de l'autre conducteur?

Que l'autre conducteur ait commis une infraction n'est pas pertinent. On ne cherche pas qui a causé l'accident, on discute de l'infraction qui reproche d'avoir quitté les lieux d'un accident.

Hit and run is a tricky thing. My father had an incident on the st-john's overpass (highway 40) going north where a lady cut into his lane and the mirrior on his truck scratched her car. Anyways my dad didn't want to cause traffic so he motioned to the lady to pull over ahead in the Maxi parking lot. As he pulled into the parking lot the lady kept going. He waited a bit and finally the lady came back with the cops. Only thing was the stupid bitch called the cops and said he left the scene. Needless to say the cops gave my dad a $600 and 9 point ticket.

My dad tried to explain it to the cops but they didn't want anything to hear of it. So guys if ever you have an accident there park your cars right there and create as much traffic as you want....at least you won't get a ticket *td*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back