Engine Swap Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JClaw

Yes it's probably been asked a million times. Don't go postal. Can I (legally) swap a newer (.5L increase in displacement) V6 from the the same manifacturer, same external size, same mounts, same computer, and still get paid by the insurance computer if I total it in an accident?

I heard they don't pay if you have a swap.

JClaw said:
Yes it's probably been asked a million times. Don't go postal. Can I (legally) swap a newer (.5L increase in displacement) V6 from the the same manifacturer, same external size, same mounts, same computer, and still get paid by the insurance computer if I total it in an accident?

I heard they don't pay if you have a swap.

as far as i know as long as you do not down grade your emmsision system. Like if you have OBD2 now you can not install a OBD1 system.

It is always better to advise insurance for a swap, better to learn the easy way than the hard way, you can also give the VIN of the new engine, less potential problems with insurance or cops.

Zythum said:
It is always better to advise insurance for a swap, better to learn the easy way than the hard way, you can also give the VIN of the new engine, less potential problems with insurance or cops.

Exactly, dont tell them you are swapping for performance (if in deed you are) just tell them the engine gave out, needs to be replaced, and supply them with the info on the new engine. Whats the worst that they can say, no :dunno:

Well I just called them today. They say I can replace my engine with the same (3.0L) if it has the same horsepower, but if it has more, they can't. They said for example if you put an SI engine in your normal civic, it needs to be insured as an SI.

Using that logic, they'd need to insure my car as a 2002 Maxima, since the 3.5L didn't show up intil 2002, and those are worth 18,000$ instead of 5,000$! What a f*cking bunch of morons!

I'm currently with La personelle.

Of course, these guys don't know the difference between a 3.0L and a 3.5L. So, technically, I could take the VIN plate from the old 3.0 and put it on the 3.5L and call it a day. That's what they look for, right, the engine I.D. number?

System said:
Exactly, dont tell them you are swapping for performance (if in deed you are) just tell them the engine gave out, needs to be replaced, and supply them with the info on the new engine. Whats the worst that they can say, no :dunno:

what if i say my KA engine in my 240 is blown and i put an SR in it....I don't think they will belive that it's not for performance :D

i have a full engine swap and tranny in my rpobe for the jdm ...insurence guy came and saw the car when i had a hit and run...he saw the engine ..didnt say anything i was even talkin with the guy about the mods ... :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back