cheap suspension upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

L0G1K

Legacy Member
I have a unusually modded car and to get a better suspension for it (if it exists) would cost me a fortune..... But now I am stuck with a realy lame suspension and and wanted to know what I could do to help that....
I don't care that much about look so I don't think cutting springs is what I could do to help handling....
I was thinking of going in a welding shop and getting stress barrs made for my car. One between the suspension head in the engine bay, and one underneath the car...
I was also thinking about getting the spring ressessing kits they sell at Canadian tyre... but is it worth it or is it just for the look??? I don't want to pay like 40$ (4 kits since they sell the recessing in packages of two) for a crappy thing that won't improve my handling....
On my older car the rear suspention was lower and I had gotten this and revrsed it (it's used for lowering and jacking) and it raised the rear of the car by avout one inch witch I was satisfied with and it made the car a little stiffer too....

I know it's far from being the best in suspension, but before putting over 1000$ on my suspension, I'll put it on the engine!!!

I think you have a suzuki swift if I'm not mistaken, just tell me the year and model please and I'll try to find something for you.

it's a 1995 I know H & R makes springs for it but I heard they suck and there's another company I'm not shure.... BTW I have a 4 doors, witch I'm not even shure it has the same springs/shocks has the 2 door

Originally posted by L0G1K
it's a 1995 I know H & R makes springs for it but I heard they suck and there's another company I'm not shure.... BTW I have a 4 doors, witch I'm not even shure it has the same springs/shocks has the 2 door
I checked with Eibach, and they don't have any application for your car. Unfortunately, we no longer have an account with H&R, but I've had a set of H&R springs myself, and I have no complaints.

Sorry it's not H& R springs I'm all mixed up H& R (If I'm right this time) makes them for the swift GTi....I didn't check for a long time and now I can't access the page that has this info from work... you can check the make of the springs if you go to www.metrosport2k.com and in the parts section I think....
If it doesn't work try www.geocities.com/metrosport2k
it should work

Last edited:
Cutting your springs might actually help your handling. It's not the best way but it will still lower your centre of gravity which really help for handling.

Maybe you can find springs from another car that fits yours...I'm not an expert in Geo Metro so I can't help about that. What you want are shorter but stiffer springs. You'll also need shocks that go along with the springs.
I wouldn't get stress bars before changing my springs and shocks.

Originally posted by AudiA4-1.8T
Cutting your springs might actually help your handling. It's not the best way but it will still lower your centre of gravity which really help for handling.

Maybe you can find springs from another car that fits yours...I'm not an expert in Geo Metro so I can't help about that. What you want are shorter but stiffer springs. You'll also need shocks that go along with the springs.
I wouldn't get stress bars before changing my springs and shocks.

Thanks that's exacly what I tough I needed to do and since I was also thinking: the previous owner was like a 55 years old guy who really liked comfortasble cars so he put a set of really comfortable shocks in the front (don't know the brand) and the car really takes road bumps like nothing... You feel the road less than in my girlfriends dad 2002 neon...

If they are stock(factory) springs I wouldn't recommend cutting them. Yes it will lower the center of gravity, but stock springs usually aren't very thick and don't have a spring rate that will work well after being cut.

Do not cut your stock springs... as shane said, springs are designed with a spring rate for youcars height and comfort lavel. If you cut the spring, all that is affected!

If it's a Metro or swift 2 or 4 door...i can get them for you for 410$ (h&R) 1.4 inch drop in front and 1.3 in the rear.

Originally posted by L-Sport
Do not cut your stock springs... as shane said, springs are designed with a spring rate for youcars height and comfort lavel. If you cut the spring, all that is affected!

If it's a Metro or swift 2 or 4 door...i can get them for you for 410$ (h&R) 1.4 inch drop in front and 1.3 in the rear.

Don't worry I don't want to cut the springs.....

But with those springs I'dd need new shocks too I suppose???

Don't worry I don't want to cut the springs.....

But with those springs I'dd need new shocks too I suppose???
Honestly, It is not absolutely necessary to put performance shocks. But if you run on stock shocks, they won't last long at all, and the car will feel bouncy because stock shocks are not made to run compressed down all the time as they would be with lowering springs.

And now with only those H&R kit, Would I need some sort of camber adjust or something like that???

And now with only those H&R kit, Would I need some sort of camber adjust or something like that???
No you won't need a camber kit but it's always good to get a wheel alignment after you lower the car. If you get the H&Rs that L-Sport was talking about you won't have any problems, a 1.4 inch drop is not too much. At worst, you might get slightly uneven tire wear, just rotate the tires once a year and you'll be fine;)

I'm due for an aligment anyway..... I changed my ball joint (witch comes with the tab) and now the steering is a little offset....

But it's just that I keep thinking 400+$ could get me a headder + chip for my car.....
You know were I wana get... I just find it expensive to get better handling....I'm far from being a race car and it does handle like shit... but The performances arn't too impressive either so I'dd like to gain there too...... And I'm working now but I'm saving up because I'll be a whole year without working (I'm in a "stage") for 4 months and now two months have passed and I haven't been able to raise my bank account since I waited to fix the car and everything broke at the same time... I've put arround 1000$ in repars in two months....

personally, I always do suspension before engine mods. I mean, what's a quick car if it doesn't handle:)

But could either you or L-sport check it the swift Gt springs could fit on the 4 door newer generation model??? Because then I could maybe check in the used market? or is it just a bad idea too since springs use themselg over time?

IMO I would make the car handle,brake better then worry about the go.

I'm no expert in suspension mods but I know that rainnman is .
Call 450-629-2829 and talk to them , they have 17 years of racing road courses so I think they know something about handling and braking.

My specialty is the go part of the car.

Check this out... Suspension Tips
this site is dedicated to the GTi... but the suspension information could be valid for Metro aswell...

p.s.: in the first few paragraphs, he elaborates on the "DROP-IT school of though" and the "SWAY BAR camp"... very interesting and brings light over some common myths associated with suspension tuning...

Last edited:
Originally posted by Mudvane
Check this out... Suspension Tips
this site is dedicated to the GTi... but the suspension information could be valid for Metro aswell...

p.s.: in the first few paragraphs, he elaborates on the "DROP-IT school of though" and the "SWAY BAR camp"... very interesting and brings light over some common myths associated with suspension tuning...

Hey thanks it's a really helpfull page! Does anyone have any experience with apex springs? A guy is selling the front springs for 125$... is it a good price????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back