swaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifter Steve

Legacy Member
im interested in getting a new car, but i want to make it fast

lets say i get a 92 240sx. for engine swapping capabilities, what are my options?
SR20det?
what about a RB26DETT could it be done?

The easiest one would be the SR20DET. But it'll be expensive.

Maybe a VG30DETT. But still expensive.

Forget about the RB26DETT, I don't think you can find one in Canada. You might want to import one from Japan ... if you have 10-15k in your pocket, maybe more. $$$

Swapping option is SR20DET that's it.. forget about VG and RB.. it's way too complicated and you won't get the best bang for the buck. And you are looking at a 8,000$-15,000$ for the swap... done well of course!

hmm interesting

i figured the SR20 would be the easiest, what kind of 1/4 times could i expect?

also i could get a RB26 from the states (imported originally from japan of course) for $4799 usd or a SR20DET for $1499

the VG30 is $2799

i know the RB26 is 6 speed and AWD, i just figured it would make for 1 sick car.

when you say 8-10 grand, is that JUST the install, or parts and install. my dad was a mechanic and we know lots about cars, we might tackle the swap ourselves thats why im wondering.

just the install, how much should i expect to pay?

Expect it to cost you between 5000 and 10000$ weather you do it yourself or not.

I beleive Automotion charges 1500$ for a swap and thats cheap.

RB and VG are out of the question, unless you have money to burn, and if you did you wouldnt be buying an 1992 S13 240sx.

For the 1/4 it depends of your level of boost (7psi, 15psi, 20 psi.. it depends of the setup) I've seen low 14s to mid 13s.

Forget about the RB it's way too heavy for the car and you'll need to balance it again and reinforce the body alot!!!! Same for VG. It could all be amazing projects if you have more than 20,000$ to put on a 5-7,000$ car..

RB26DETT. Yes it's an awesome engine.. but you answered to your own question AWD and 6 speed... way too complicated.. and the body is not balanced for that.

I say it's only parts.. you'll want a FMI.. cause at 1,500$ it's TMI plus the piping. New injectors. Turbo upgrade.. tubo manifold. Exhaust... Re-programmed computer from JWT. When i say it's 8,000$ it's if you do it yourself and have no problem during the install.. and don't forget that it's probably been beated to hell before. So a checkup might be a good idea. I'd choose a Black Top over a Red top BTW. 1500 is for a RT. 3,500$ for a BT. It's not older that 94-95 if it's a BT.

just the install, how much should i expect to pay? Well call Automotion they are used to do these kind of swaps (you can look for their phone numbers on the main site under shops in MTl)

If you have the kind of money to put a VG or RB.. why won't you consider turbocharging the KA24DE? It's been done several time! And great results.

If you have other specific questions, feel free to ask! ;)

Last edited:
About 8000$ including the engine and you're in business !!!

That's about what Automotion will charge you for the complete swap!

This will get you in the high 13.xx 1/4 mile @ ~101 MPH (as fast as a S2000 or 350Z) @ 13.5 PSI of boost on a stock turbo with a good intercooler & 3" exhaust (part of the 8000$)

If anyone with a SR20DET in is 240SX give you a ride....you'll need one after!!!

That's what convience me of doing the swap!!! and it was well worth it!

Originally posted by S14 Drift!
About 8000$ including the engine and you're in business !!!

That's about what Automotion will charge you for the complete swap!

This will get you in the high 13.xx 1/4 mile @ ~101 MPH (as fast as a S2000 or 350Z) @ 13.5 PSI of boost on a stock turbo with a good intercooler & 3" exhaust (part of the 8000$)

If anyone with a SR20DET in is 240SX give you a ride....you'll need one after!!!

That's what convience me of doing the swap!!! and it was well worth it!
sounds like your offering me a ride :bigup:

well i really like the sounds of this, cuz i can start by getting the car, then swapping the engine, and then working on all the parts for the engine!!

now, the last thing im wondering, should i wait a little longer and get a newer 240, i saw a 96 for $9999 or should i stick with the older one cuz its cheaper. thanx for all the help everyone

the engines i was talking about were from www.jspecauto.com
they come with many parts too...

www.jspecauto.com :

SR20DET - 91-93 S13 Silvia
1998cc EFI DOHC 16-valve 4cyl Turbo
• Horse Power: 205hp @6000rpm
• Torque: 274Nm @4800rpm
• RWD or FWD 5-speed Transmission
* Also with the BlueBird FWD 5 speed
$1499.00 USD
sr20detpic1.jpg

The engine swap package's will include the following:

Complete Motor:
-Block
-Complete Head
-Intake Manifold
-Throttle Body
-Top Engine Harness
-Power Steering pump
-Power Steering high pressure Line
-Wastegate solenoid controller
-Lower Engine/transmission harness
-Turbo exhaust outlet extension
-Turbo inlet pipe
-Turbo outlet pipe
-Wastegate actuator
-Cam Angle Sensor
-Bell housing bolts
-Exhaust Manifold
-Alternator
-Starter
-Fuel Rail
-Injectors
-Canister
-Turbo(s)

ECU(computer)

5 Speed RWD/FWD/AWD Transmission or Automatic Transmission
- With Clutch components assembled to the engine

- Engine Wiring Harness(cut as it exits the car)

NOTE: The swap package does NOT include the MAF sensor, Ignitor chip or Intercooler

is that a good deal?

Last edited:
Haha, they basicaly just list everything that SHOULD come with an engine, lol.

Forget about them, there are about 5 engine import shops in Montreal who each ahve 2 or 3 SR20DET's in stock. (Most of the time)

You shouldnt waste your time shopping elsewhere than localy.
About newer or older, its all about taste.

for 10k$ getting a 1997-98 is impossible. Getting a 1995-96 is iffy.

IMO, find yourself a budget, then shop accordingly.

ME personnaly, Id go for a early 90's coupe, strip teh shit out of it, swap in a DET and have loads of fun on the race track :) (That is, with curves ya know, none of that straight line hill billy stuff)

You can get one at Osaka For ~1800$ canadian

Last time I went there(to get mine) they had ~20 SR20DET RWD so you can choose !

Originally posted by S14 Drift!
You can get one at Osaka For ~1800$ canadian

Last time I went there(to get mine) they had ~20 SR20DET RWD so you can choose !

yeah you can choose and if you'r lucky u can get a SR with many HKS parts on it ;)

Man I'm so tempted to sell my vr6 and get me an sr20det ! I want boost ! and it's good till 400 hp ! nothing wrong with that :bigup:

I guess it also depends on the state of the internals (aka. how many kilos on the engine) ...

Yep, thats right. Hopethetical, it has 50 000to 100 000km and well taken care off, it should be able to take that amount of power.

In any case, when you get a DET, first thing you should do is clean it, do a compression test, change main bearings and seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back