Turbo timer reaction with alarm system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munchy

Legacy Member
From what I gather, a turbo timer is a timer that keeps your turbos spooling after you turn your car off for a set time period so that they can cool down. But how does this react with your alarm system?

Thanks!

why would it react with an alarm system? the turbos are spooling, engine off cooling down... why would that set the alarm off? engine is not running :dunno:

turbo timer leaves the engine on after you take the key out. reason being? not everyone has the time to sit around and doodle theyre fingers waiting for the oil to flow and cool the engine/turbo down. if oil heats up then cools down too fast or sits in the turbo over time will cause gunk

a turbo timer will not go right with the alarm system for the fact the alarm makes sure the engine is off and doors are closed when key is out right? well turbo timer makes sure car is on when key is out. see the prob?

Turbo timer is no different than a car starter;)

So doesn't matter if you have an alarm.:)

yeah...but: TKM:

How would the alarm react to being armed while having the car running to cool down the turbo???

Well...Does the Alarm "know" if the engine is running or not?

I'm no alarm expert by far but I would have to guess the alarm would arm its self.
The guy to ask is Pat (b18b civic).

actually, i believe it depends on the alarm system.

some see if the car if running others don't

I know someone with a turbo timer on his 1.8T and he has the same alarm system as I do. The alarm sees that the engine is running and cannot be turned on until the engine stops, but since this alarm is auto activated (after doors are closed and engine dosen't run) it counts to 30 then arm itself. So I don't think there would be any problem if you choose you alarm carefully !

from what i know on my friends car, his alarm has a turbo relay (or whatever u want to call it) so it can identify if the car has a turbo or not and it will set the alarm to the proper setting

Wow its nice to see good tech questions rather than the usual what color should I paint my car b.s.....

Any way, installing a turbo timer with an alram is simple as pie.. if you have an idea how a cars inginiton system works...

So here we go... A car alarm is hooked up to many trigger inputs, shuch as doors, shock sensor, hood/trunk... and ingnition...

Now this is where it gets real fun (if you like messing with wieres)... when the alarm is "armed" and the turbo timer is operational, the alarm must have its ingnition input bypassed for as long as the turbotimer is operational... the reason for this is because if the car is runing and the alarm is armed, it will trigger... the same goes for the shock sensor....

Still with me?... so this is how you do it... when the turbo timer is activated, it sends a pulse to a normaly closed relay that opens up the ingnition cercuit to prevent the alarm from "seeing" a ing. trigger... So when the turbo timer finishes is count down, the relay latches back closed and everyting is back to normal...

This princaple applies to all sensor that needed to be by passed for certain amount of time...

As for the exact connection its too hard to tell just like that, I would need to see the job, the units.. but its not that hard just gotta be patient ;)

Pat

so basically..

i could use a regular Car Starter, program it to turn off automatically (after sev. mins) and use it as a turbo timer ?

cool :bigup:

though i wouldn't be surprised if there is a law, preventing manual cars from having a remote starter..:rolleyes:

Originally posted by track3000
cool :bigup:

though i wouldn't be surprised if there is a law, preventing manual cars from having a remote starter..:rolleyes:

there are no laws that prevent you from having a remote car starter on a manual vehicle as long as you get a system that is design for manual trans and not a mickey mouse back yard modify automatic trans remote car starter.

most remote starter/alarm manufacturer offer a "turbo mode".

mpx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back