A new diet for chubby people, and how I lost 80 pounds in 3 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuebecMKIII

Legacy Member
This is no way car related but since a lot of us around here have IT jobs and do little to no exercise its easy to get overweight, or like in my case, morbidly so.

At 25 and 6'0" I hit my fattest, 290 pounds. And on top of that I hated my job, even if the salary was good I realised that I went horribly wrong when deciding to go in IT instead of going in law enforcement few years ago. So to change it all I needed to lose weight and get back in shape.

My big problem was that I had already started my admission process in the RCMP and against all odds I got past the first test. So I knew that I'd have to complete the physical exam in less than 6 months so I had to get something quick that wouldn't hurt my body.

The solution, Medifast

They came up with the Medifast 55 shake system to be used 5 times a day with a light meal. However I came across a lot of success stories about people drinking 7 of them, and eating nothing else. Most of them were claiming a loss of 5 to 7 pounds a week over a 3 month period (the longest you should go), so I was really interested. I had a few concerns about lack of some minerals and vitamins since, even if the site that each shake has about 20% of your daily need of everything, all of those are processed and might not be absorbed as easy as if it came from "real food" but turns out that wasn't a problem. I was also really curious on how the body would react if you wouldn't eat any solid foods, at all, well I was soon to find out.

I then placed my order online, received the shakes and immidiatelly started to drink those shakes and stopped eating altogether.
The worst part about this "diet" is that you cannot eat anything, cannot drink anything but water and those "zeros" diet colas. But I figured that it would be worth it.

The first day was a bitch, not only are you hungry but looking at the fridge full of goodies and not digging in was a big mental task.
But, by the second day you find that you're not hungry anymore...
A week past by, still didnt eat a thing, only drank those shakes, some of the flavors are actually not that bad, mixed with crushed ice made them even better. But god those Pizza ads on TV are getting into you, and you'd kill for a beer. But still, no eating

Weeks, even months passed by, and long story short, here I was @ 290 pounds on March 1st;
img22422tq.jpg

And here's me from last week, @ 208 pounds
img2397s1os.jpg

From March 1st to May 31st I lost exactly 80 pounds, from 290 to 210
Then lost another 3-4 pounds since I stopped thanks to a healthier lifestyle and lots of exercise

The first pic was me @ 290, all my shirts were XXL, my pants were 46+ "under the belly" and I couldn't run 100 meters to save my life

Since I went from 46 to 36, XXL to L and I found new excitment in doing simple things, like running, since it no longer hurts my knees!

So if you feel like you have 100+ lbs to lose, this might work for you.

The only things to consider before doing it:
- NO CHEATING, doing this really slows down your metabolism and your body goes in starving mode so anything that you eat will be "optimized" and will kill your weight loss for that day, and trust me, you do not want to do this for any longer that you have to. So if you plan on cheating, this is not for you
- Muscle Loss, Even if it does come with a fair amount of proteins and carbs and has you drinking a fair amount of water your body will still go in a mild state of ketosis and you will lose some muscle mass, so if you're a body builder, this is not for you
- You need to have a lot of weight to lose, its not worth it to do this for 20-30 pounds, you'll end up hurting your metabolism too much, so unless you have 70+ pounds to lose, this is not for you.
- And most importantly, you need to be willing to change your lifestyle, going back to doing nothing and eating shit you'd get all the weight back in a matter of weeks...

The good thing is that I'm now much more sensible to what I eat, I enjoy working out and running miles and miles and I feel 1000x better when it comes to doing the first step with the ladies :D

Its a bit pricy (~350$ a month) but then again, you save up by not getting groceries, not eating out and no drinking :(

It sucks for 3 months, but if I would've known beofre I would've done this a LONG time ago.
Now all I have to do is work on not getting any of the weight back, and gradually working on the lost of the 15 pounds left of surplus fat in my body :D

So if some of you guys are interested fire away any questions, I'll be glad to answer them all!

Last edited:
i m about in the same situation as you 46 under the belly 290 pound :S but i don t think i would be have to maintain the weight there after such a big loss

donotdisturb said:
congratz! but i will continue to go to the gym and try to eat healthy
And this is what anyone should do, this does not replace that, its just a boost of weight lost before going to a much healthier lifestyle to lose as much fat as possible in a short period of time :bigup:

I was hesitating between computers and law enforcement. Damn.

I better love it cauz sometimes i regret not going in police tech

Btw, congrats man! I'm lucky, i'm not that active and i don't gain any weight. I started running few weeks ago though, i need good cardio.

Keep up the good shape, it's gonna pay off one of these days! There's nothing better than waking up in the morning and already be in good shape.

Last edited:
Man , consider yourself a champ! *tu* What you achieved to do for the past months is really amazing.

I hope you enjoy your new lifestyle and keep in shape! you'll appreciate it even more when you'll be 50 years old and more...

Congrats on losing the weight. You must have lost a lot of muscle though, I heard the maximum weight you can burn a week without burning any muscle is like 2 lbs. How do you feel when you do exercise now?

PS- I know it is adressed in your post, just wondering how you were feeling during the weight loss, like weakness and stuff.

Wow, impressive, I'm a 403 pounds right now ... taking 46-48 in pants , 4-5XL in t-shirts, even tho I'm 6'5'' I still have to lose some weight, over 120 lbs to lose. :(

Wow, that is very impressive!

I wonder how good it is if you mix this diet with 3-4 sessions of weight training...

Did you ever feel like you were "running" out of gas at times when you would exercise or did you have great energy?

Off said:
Congrats on losing the weight. You must have lost a lot of muscle though, I heard the maximum weight you can burn a week without burning any muscle is like 2 lbs. How do you feel when you do exercise now?
I feel great, not much muscle paine
And on top of that, I had a detailed log of how much weight I could push/pull/whatever 10 times but not 12 and it really didnt change much, so if I lost a lot of muscles it has to be somewhere other than my arms, legs or abs :D

FunkCaptain said:
I wonder how good it is if you mix this diet with 3-4 sessions of weight training...

Did you ever feel like you were "running" out of gas at times when you would exercise or did you have great energy?
I was NOT working out during those 3 months... With less than 1000 calorie intake I didnt think it would be wise to burn 300 @ the gym... So I did no training whatsoever during those 3 months other than the usual chores

But I was never tired, out of energy or anything like that during the day
I did however went to bed @ 9pm every day for those 3 months because I was getting tired early, but when you cant eat or drink there's not much to do anyway, so I was getting up crazy early too :)

Congrats!! As for me its a different story, I can't gain weight at all and im about 105lbs... Thats bad. Anyways im really happy for u, most fat people decide to give up

wow !!! congrats ... unfortunatley when i diet ... my drinking and extreme craving for junk food on weekends kill me

How are you guys congratulating this guy? Sure you lost weight, but anyone can lose weight if they don't eat.

How hard is it to eat healthy and get on the treadmill for 30 minutes/day?

Sorry to sound like a dick but I really despise people that harm their bodies the way you do.

cameron said:
How are you guys congratulating this guy? Sure you lost weight, but anyone can lose weight if they don't eat.

How hard is it to eat healthy and get on the treadmill for 30 minutes/day?

Sorry to sound like a dick but I really despise people that harm their bodies the way you do.
That's exactly what I was thinking, and its the right way to think too if you're a little overweight.

But, the problem is that sometimes some people "wake up" and they're way too far gone. Like in my case, diet and proper exercise would only have me drop the weight at a slow pace that would be no where near what I needed, but its true that it would've been the right way in the long run.

And like I said, this is not a way of life, this is a boost diet to encourage an healthier lifestyle. You really have to be fat to understand that its not easy to get up, go to the gym in front of all those slim and trimmed people and totally change the way you eat on top of that. We didnt get fat by having a right lifestyle right?

The great thing about this diet is not only the weight you lose, but the mental and ego boost that us fat people need.

And as far as exercising goes, strap a 100-pound backpack and go run a mile and a half see how your knees feel and tell me if this is something you wanna do 5 times a week.

Hurting the body?, what is more hurtful, doing this for 3 months or being overweight for the rest of your life?

I always have to repeat this all the time to everyone to whom I explain this diet, this is not a way of life, this is the mental and physical boost needed to take an overweight couch potato and make him into a gym-going right-eating machine that he could never be with 100 pounds of excess fat on his back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back