Sub in the trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vspec

Legacy Member
Since there is no more audio section i'll post here since it seems to be the only appropriate place.

Is it possible to install a sub in the space located btw the left or right wheel and the end of the trunk?

/////////////////
/
/
/
/
/
////
////
////
/
/X
/
//////////////////

Hope this little drawing clarify my question
The "X" represent the location of the sub.

Is there any pros/cons?

From your explanation and your drawing, I'm guessing you refering to the side of your trunk, behind the wheel-well. If thats the case, it's advantageous, since it's out of the way, you keep all your cargo space. Howerver, the disadvantage would be that it's dificult to find an enclosure. And it may have to be custom made. Also, you woofer size will be limited to how wide the smallest part of the gap between the wheel well and the back iof the trunk. All in all, it's a very good setup, and with a custom made box it will sound nice and look clean. Except, you may have to pay slightly more to have the box molded, unless you want to try it yourself, but it will be difficult to calculate the volume of the box, and also shape it to fit around the wheel.

You guessed me right. I want a sub but i want my cargo space so i am ready to pay a little more. It would be a custom setup indeed.

Thanx for the reply.

Originally posted by Vspec
You guessed me right. I want a sub but i want my cargo space so i am ready to pay a little more. It would be a custom setup indeed.

Thanx for the reply.
Vspec, is this what you mean?

My system

Umm I had my 4 in the floor,, cool nice setup, but wasent designed for the best quality ever, not enouf air space.. but it still hit 140db :)
Dcp00331.jpg

Dcp00330.jpg

even with all the foam tape and what not it did, but hey you just have to put it louder and then the raddling goes away,,hehe

well I actually just ripped out that set up last weekm I think am gonna go with one 12 type R!

Hey 'ATGRILLS' that looks pretty cool man!! That's on your car????

It was like that all summer, but I just took it apart last week end, my system with 3 amps and four subs weighed over 100lbs, too heavy for me
so am going with 2 amps and one 12 type R :)

more go and the same amout of show!! (B18B1)

Originally posted by ATgrills
It was like that all summer, but I just took it apart last week end, my system with 3 amps and four subs weighed over 100lbs, too heavy for me
so am going with 2 amps and one 12 type R :)

more go and the same amout of show!! (B18B1)
Well, hopefully, once I learn to save my money :) I want to have my trunk all custom done, and have a mold made inside my trunk. This way I can have my 2 amps enclosed inide the mold along with the subs, and hopefully keep some cargo space. I know this will be expensive, but it's also a theft deterent. It won't be easy to just pop the trunk, and rip everything out, since it's all sealed in. I'm primarily worried now about the price... going to have to invest in....

getting my alternator rewound
deep cycle battery
the mold itself (labor)
2 new amps (one for subs ... cause mine sucks now, and one for my components)
A couple of fans, to keep air circulating through the amps
and some new shocks and springs to support the extra weight

I'm hoping b18b will see this and know who I can call to construct the trunk mold. Or maybe he can do it himself.

Those are my plans for this year, and if I'm not happy with it, in goes the rear-fill and the DVD, as well as a Dolby 5.1 surround controller.

Priority ONE is the trunk setup, then that should keep me happy for about a year. After that I'll see about the other stuff. But so far, this is all a dream, until I can get the cash to do it, should'nt be that hard, as long as I stop going out.

30K INSTALLED FOR A STEREO SYSTEM!!!!!!! That's just kra-z!!!!!!

Originally posted by bassACE
Installs like those (custom fiberglass setups, amp racks, etc.) can be really costly. I've heard of 30 000$ installs.

This one is really neat:
http://www.sounddomain.com/id/all4sq
I'm only looking to go for about $1000-$1500. Worst comes to worst, I'll start on it myself, get it all fit in there, painted and carpeted. And whatever I can't do, I'll have someone finish for me. At least then I can say I did most of it myself. I figure if I take my time, and have lots of extra material, I can pull off a decent looking install on my own. But it ill probably take me all summer, whereas a shop might only take a couple weeks!

I've done the research myself and i've found some information that was quite surprising to me at first. Shops charge 20 000$ + for competition SQ systems when in fact, the materials they use (except the dynamat) costs less than 100$. That means that for about 70$ you buy the necessary elements to create nice fiberglass systems. All u gotta do after that is buy the components.

Originally posted by 99AltimaGXE

Vspec, is this what you mean?

It is exactly what i meant minus the amps, which at the moment of my question had no thought of it, where do i place the amp? Some where in the trunk.

Thanxs again

Originally posted by Vspec

It is exactly what i meant minus the amps, which at the moment of my question had no thought of it, where do i place the amp? Some where in the trunk.

Thanxs again
I'd say build a custom amp rack, or but some amp stands. Try and make sure it is mounted horizontally, and in a well ventilated area. Some people put them under their seats (driver, passenger). Just make sure you have somewhere to ground it too close by.

We do custom installs if you are interested and a very good price.. here is ap ic of my old setup which i m redoing at the moment. I even put my stereo in the roof, added a Ps2 in the glove compartement and added a Custom TV install.

Dsc00146.jpg

Dsc00153.jpg

Dsc00142.jpg

Nice setup you got there how dya fit the stereo in the roof? The main unit is just placed over the glove compartement and there is wire up to the roof?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back