Ford Friction Additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregster

Legacy Member
I bought a small bottle today after the first dealer i went to had a hard time finding what I wanted. Now I was told that it will make my gears quiter and smoother.. Does it this?

And wow I cracked it open to add to my oil and the smell was worse then gear oil

The Ford additive is good, but the GM friction modifier additive is better. I had the Ford stuff in my differential and it would sometimes spin only one wheel when i had the slicks on.

Flushed the oil and added the GM additive, ran alot better. I was spinning slicks (thats until the posi ****ed...).

The guy at Trac Racing told me they put the GM additive in their Honda transmission and it helped alot.

HTH

I had the car out today and it actually made a difference.

Smoother engagement and it felt like the LSD was grabbing better

I never run the friction additive...it quiets the chatter but actually promotes slippage of the limited slip. Alot of synthetic gears oils have friction modifiers in them..like Redline.

t'a des clutch pis des spec de tension et de freeplay ;) tu peut jouer avec ca aussi. c sur que des mecano en canne c toujours moin couteux. tu peut aussi changer le genre de spring pour un plus performant et plus fiable bref, le systeme lsd d'origine est tres bon si bien setter mais peu fiable surtout si tu augmente la puissance et/ou bat le char.

informe toi comment marche un system lsd en dedans tu vas comprendre que ca se tune pratiquement comme une suspention.

BLKGTSTANG said:
I never run the friction additive...it quiets the chatter but actually promotes slippage of the limited slip. Alot of synthetic gears oils have friction modifiers in them..like Redline.

It's ok if you run synthetic oil, but if you just put regular GL-5 oil, you have to put friction additive.....otherwise the limited slip wont lock the both wheels

crazy302 said:
It's ok if you run synthetic oil, but if you just put regular GL-5 oil, you have to put friction additive.....otherwise the limited slip wont lock the both wheels

I was told by a few people that it was the opposite, so I ma not sure. My friend told me not to put it in my car when I rebuilt the tracrion-loc in it. I use Mobil 1 synthetic. But I also never used it when running Motorcraft gear oil in other cars. He said it just quiets the chatter down.

BLKGTSTANG said:
I was told by a few people that it was the opposite, so I ma not sure. My friend told me not to put it in my car when I rebuilt the tracrion-loc in it. I use Mobil 1 synthetic. But I also never used it when running Motorcraft gear oil in other cars. He said it just quiets the chatter down.

When I swap rear-end on my '85 Convertible from a 7.5 posi to a 8.8 I thought the posi unit was shot. I was about to install a new Eaton posi unit when the guy at the transmission shop I deal with for that kind of stuff asked me if I put the friction additive with my new oil, my answer : euhhhhhh, no, does it matter ??? And then he went on for 20min explaining to me the purpose of the friction stuff. Since I put that 4oz bottle in my diff., both tires are smoking now and it didn't cost me 500$ !!!!

BLKGTSTANG said:

The friction modifier are necessary when running a clutch type posi (like the Eaton)

you do not need it with a mechanical locker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back