Best Ford Intake and cylinder heads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5-PoInT-0

Hi im starting to work on my performance mustang engine this weekend and i need some help, in all of your opinions which brand/model of heads and intake should i put on my 347ci stroker block. Who makes the best of the best for these two parts?

These parts will need to be able to work well with a supercharger or Turbo system.

Edelbrock?
Trick Flow?
Holley?
Ford Racing?
etc.

help me out guys :dunno:

5-PoInT-0 said:
Hi im starting to work on my performance mustang engine this weekend and i need some help, in all of your opinions which brand/model of heads and intake should i put on my 347ci stroker block. Who makes the best of the best for these two parts?

These parts will need to be able to work well with a supercharger or Turbo system.

Edelbrock?
Trick Flow?
Holley?
Ford Racing?
etc.

Intake = Edelbrock all the way

For the heads, it depends :

Budget : Trick Flow

$$$ : Dart

5-PoInT-0 said:

Edelbrock?
Trick Flow?
Holley?
Ford Racing?
etc.

1) Edelbrock victor heads
2) Dart or Worlds
3) Trickflow
the rest are not even in the running. IMPHO

Nobody mentionned AFR? Or Brodix?

I remember seeing Victor Jr's flow a lot but lose power at low rpm's because it doesnt flow as much as performer's at low lift.

FunkCaptain said:
Nobody mentionned AFR? Or Brodix?

I remember seeing Victor Jr's flow a lot but lose power at low rpm's because it doesnt flow as much as performer's at low lift.

All depends on the porting;)

We made 595 hp @484tq with a N/A 347 10:1 comp on 91 oct with Victor heads

Last edited:
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge are the best bang for your buck for STREET engines, which is what they are intended for. Take a look at what a lot of the fast street Mustangs are running, and for $1500-$1600 CAD/pair ready to bolt on - Theyre a steal.
http://www.trickflow.com/product/fordcylinderheads/twisted_wedge/pr_twisted_airflow.asp

Victor Jr. heads (77199) are in a different catagory, Edelbrock even suggests these heads for competition type engines and they seem like an "OK" choice if you're running a high lift cam. You can't compare the Twisted Wedge (street) to these heads, a better comparison would be the TFS R-Series....They kill the Vic. Jr's out of the box in terms of flow.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/head_flowdata.html
http://www.trickflow.com/product/fordcylinderheads/rseries_sbford/pr_r_sbford_airflow.asp

Take a look at the flowbench results, the Edelbrock Vic. Jr's only start to shine OVER .500 lift when compared to the TFS Twisted Wedge.....But if I needed that type of flow I'd take the TFS R-Series.
If I needed any more because I was building a race engine, I'd look elsewhere.

What camshaft/compression will you be running anyways? Whats the intended use of the vehicle and RPM range?

The car will be intended for mainly drag racing, it will have a high lift cam, between 5 - 20 psi depending on if i get a turbo or supercharger I want the best heads and intake i can possibly get im looking to get around 500 - 750 HP, im sure i will sneek it for rides on the street sometimes.:devil:

Im hoping to get this thing running 10 seconds 1/4 mile or lower.

As for the RPM I cant give an amount yet but i need this thing to be able to put out alot if its gonna be a mainly drag car, occasionaly weekends around my area.

5-PoInT-0 said:
The car will be intended for mainly drag racing, it will have a high lift cam, between 5 - 20 psi depending on if i get a turbo or supercharger I want the best heads and intake i can possibly get im looking to get around 500 - 750 HP, im sure i will sneek it for rides on the street sometimes.:devil:

Im hoping to get this thing running 10 seconds 1/4 mile or lower.

As for the RPM I cant give an amount yet but i need this thing to be able to put out alot if its gonna be a mainly drag car, occasionaly weekends around my area.

Victor then is the affordable choice if power is your goal *tu*

Yes Tricks are the best bang for the buck out of a box but most port them so if done right Vics and jr's shine better than Tricks but you can choose what ever you wish, its your motor :rolleyes:

If 10 sec is all you want to run Trick is enough.

Do any of you know roughly how much Horsepower and Torque im gonna need with 3:73 gears to run the quarter mile 10 seconds in a 88 mustang GT?

It would not take much at all to run 10's with a SC and that kind of boost. There are guys that have ran inthe 10's on a DEAD STOCK MOTOR with 17lbs of SC'ed boost. My friend ran 10.81@126.7 with a stock 93 bottom end. Ported Edelbrock 6037 w/1.90 valves, ported GT40 lower and Downs upper, mild blower cam, and a small Powerdyne making about 8lbs of boost MAX. Car was light, but this gives you an idea. I qould build a 8.5:1 347 with some AFR 185 heads, AFM cam or a custom FTI, Edelbrock Victor EFI intake, 75mm TB, 80mm MAF, at least 42lbers, 1 3/4 long tubes, and about 12-14 lbs of boost will plant you in the EASY mid-low 10's with a good suspension. Are you going auto or 5spd?

5-PoInT-0 said:
5 speed and im not sure if im should go with a stage 2 HP Turbo system or a nice supercharger.

Figure out:

A) how much $$ you want to spend
B) what hp and ET you are shooting for
C) overall driveability you are looking for and reliability

a) I dont really got a limit for the $$
b) looking for around 450 - 700 HP (Higher the better) and im hoping to run 10 seconds or less in the 1/4 mile.
c) Well I'd rather pay more to get some reliability and it will be driven occasionally on weekends.

5-PoInT-0 said:
a) I dont really got a limit for the $$
b) looking for around 450 - 700 HP (Higher the better) and im hoping to run 10 seconds or less in the 1/4 mile.
c) Well I'd rather pay more to get some reliability and it will be driven occasionally on weekends.

Must be nice to have no limit on $$...:squintfin :p Just build a 408 stroker and run 10's all motor and add some nitrous for some 9 second passes...

tete

appele chez jpl performance a laval il ont fait plusieur set up 302 et 351 blower qui ont fait beaucoup de force

Ok thank you guys, I appreciate the help. Yes and might consider the 408 stroker lol cant complain with all motor.:bigup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back